Best writing RAM software

vbimport

I am using a LG GSA-4082B writer on a windows XP

1. What is the best RAM writing software that would write music , photos and Data flawlessly

2_ DVDForm does not work on my machine .
a)would Sonic DLA 4.60 software serve the above criteria .
b) Is it writing RAM in Udf 2.0 or udf 1.5 ?
c) I doubt Nero in CD 4 is as good ?

1. please provide link to download software

1. I don’t quite understand what you mean, it will be always data in the end…
    Just use a proper burning app.

2. It works only with the correct burner/firmware/driver setup.
    a. No idea.
    b. That depends.
    c. As “good” as any other Packet-writing software, I think. >>> Not good.

3. start with www.nero.com if you like.

Why does DVDForm not work on your machine?

I am using a LG GSA-4082B writer on a windows XP

I finally got DVDForm to work on my machine !! ( looks like I do not have to bother about Sonic DLA 4.6 or NEro InCD 4 any more )
a) since it would write data flawlessly as good as the other 2 softwares ( I have many many sub folders which data are contained )

1. would Writing music/videos be better onto DVD RW - compared to DVD RW +
    a) I think nero vision express should be best software ?

1. Not necessarily, the media quality counts.
    a. Nope.

Apparently, the usual way InCD works is that when you write data to a DVD-RAM disc, it needs to update the file allocation table after writing the actual data to show the changes made. I’ve heard complaints that if you add data to a disc that already has data on it and InCD runs into a problem updating the file allocation table, the whole disc will end up blank. This and other bugs seem to be the reasons why InCD is not recommended by most people I’ve asked about it.

Panasonic’s DVD-RAM drivers (DVDForm is part of that) work fine for me, and I have never tried InCD myself. However, I can vouch for the fact that even with a bad write (e.g. dirt on the disc), Panasonic’s DVD-RAM drivers return your disc to the state it was in before you attempted that write.

These and other reasons are why Panasonic’s DVD-RAM drivers are the recommended software for DVD-RAM writing.

I have never tried Sonic DLA either as my LG writers all came shipped with Nero.

4a)Not necessarily, it depends on your DVD player. Most DVD players have no problem with either type. My advice is to buy one piece of each type and try first.

a)Nero Vision is meant to be easy to use, but it doesn’t necessarily do the best job of converting video to DVD/VCD format. There have been reports of out of sync audio when some files were converted to DVD format with Nero Vision. It is better to use a separate video conversion tool to process the video files, then burn with Nero later. The best place to look for help for this sort of thing is probably the guides section of http://www.videohelp.com.

1. would Writing music/videos be better onto DVD RW - compared to DVD RW +
    a) I think nero vision express should be best software ?

2. LOoks like there is no difference in quality whether I use DVD RW + or -

3. Re: Nero Vision, I am just transferring video files from hard disk to DVD RW ( not change of format )
    a) would there be out of synch video created ??
    b) for ease of use … Nero should be fine ??
    c) what is the name of the separate video conversion tool to process the video files ? (and then burn with Nero later)

Then just pick whichever is easier to get or cheaper :slight_smile:

Are these :
x)files already in DVD format or
y)are you just trying to burn a data disc containing video files?

I’m asking because in both cases, you don’t need Nero Vision at all. For x), just use Nero Express’ DVD-Video option and for y), just burn a normal data disc with Nero.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Hard to tell when it does happen. That is why it is recommended that you use something else - so you don’t have to waste time trying and then finding out the audio is out of sync later.

There are many. That is why I recommended going to Videohelp’s website and checking out their guides above. Picking a guide suited to doing what you want to do will tell you what software to use.

can I confirm my understanding that instead of buying a 2.5 inch/ ? inch Hard disk (200Gb) ; is better to own 45 DVD RAM disks (45* 4 .5Gb = 200Gb) ;

1. As compared to DVD RAM, Hard disk are more prone to loss of data/errors should you drop the hard disk ; carry the hard disks in temperature of 45 degree celsius etc

2. by owning DVD RAM , we are spreading that data loss risk by spreading that towards many DVD RAM s( 4.7 GB ) instead of concentrating all the 200 Gb data in one Box .

You have it pretty much correctly but do look at the other side of the story :

• 45 DVD-RAM discs are more bulky that a 200GB 2.5in HD

• you write a lot quicker to a HD than DVD-RAM discs, depending on how you use those discs, it may not matter

• 45 DVD-RAM discs might be more expensive than a 200GB 2.5in HD, depending on how much they cost where you are

It depends on what you intend to use them for. For certain tasks one is better than the other and vice versa.

Hi,

let me add some figures, these are valid for Germany, but the relations should be similar worldwide, at least I hope they are.

Right. But did you really mean a [B]2.5"[/B] HDD? Such is not yet available, at least here in Germany. So two 100 GB drives would be needed. 3.5" drives are no problem, they are available up to 400 GB.

• you write a lot quicker to a HD than DVD-RAM discs, depending on how you use those discs, it may not matter
    Yeah. Using 3x media data are transferred in roughly 10 Min/GB.
  • 45 DVD-RAM discs might be more expensive than a 200GB 2.5in HD, depending on how much they cost where you are
    Hmmm. Assuming you really want to use 2.5" HDDs (notebook type), then you have to pay roughly 1 €/GB. Desktop drives (3.5") are much cheaper, about 0.35-0.40 €/GB, depending on the particular drive. Also, the price for the enclosure has to be added. Buying a ready to use external drive will cost 0.45-0.60 €/GB.
    Considering DVD-RAM, my favourite local stores sell Panasonic 2-3x for 7,99/3 pcs, or I can get Verbatim 2-3x for 5,99 /3x. That results in a prices from 0,45-0,60 €/GB.
    Conclusion: The price for DVD-RAM is comparable to the price of an external HDD (desktop type).
    The HDD is much faster, but if there is damage, then you lose all 200 GB of data.
    DVD-RAM is much slower, but if a disc is bad or gets lost, then only 2% of the data are lost.

In addition, it is not a bad thing to use once-writable media for static data, that won’t be changed. Transfer speed rises and cost decreases.

Michael

1ZE2E8630224440920

On the DVD-RAM front, 5x discs are available now and the new GSA-H10N supports 12x discs. I’m hoping that LG goes ahead with the anticipated 16x discs, but 5x discs are pretty scarce in the US. Panasonic’s site will have 5x discs available next month. If you wait a little bit, you can close the gap between -RAM and HDD.

MCIAHEL… you mention that should DVD-RAM disc is bad or gets lost, then only 2% of the data are lost. …how did you arrive at 2 % ; are you saying that you will lose 4 Gb of data should 1 RAM fail ?

1. costs, slowness in writing and bulkiness is not an issue for me … not losing data is paramount !! ( I recently lost data even in my CF Card ; which is technically more reliable than a DVD RAM !! )

since I know I will at some point in time drop my Hard disks ; I will go for RAM since it is less prone to errors /damage should I drop it

RAM discs are no less prone to loss of data than any optical disc. They are susseptable to all the same effects that cause “aging”, like UV, heat, moisture, etc. They are just as susseptable to changes in the dye also.

The only difference is the way they are written. Your data is not more “secure” on RAM than it is on -R or +R.

My 2% was based on 200GB of data. Indeed, if 1 disc fails, then 4 GB of data are lost. So, I’d rely on dual backup. And DVD-RAM is media to be handled extremely careful, DVD+/-R is more resistant against specks, scratches and dust. I would use such standard media for data, that won’t change like music, video, pictures etc. DVD-RAM is better for data, that changes often.

Michael