Best way to set this up?

I am getting, hopefully in the mail today, a Toshiba 1712 dvdrom and a LiteOn LTR-52246S cdrw. My question is how should I set them up for the best performance? One on the primary with the hard drive and the other on the secondary? Or both on the secondary? Also which one where as master and as slave?

I’d suggest the hard drive on primary master
CD-writer on secondary master
DVD-Rom player on secondary slave…

But setups on IDE channels has been discussed many time, you can learn from older discussions in this respect…use the search to learn more.

I agree, HDDs on primary and optical drives on secondary. OS HDD on primary, data HDD on slave. DVD-ROM on master and CD-RW on slave.

There’s been a lot of discussion of this, especially relating to copy on-the-fly, but I’d say this setup is the best for most people in terms of performance.

Here’s a couple of good examples given by G@M3FR3@K :

And here’s something that might be called as an independent opinion :bigsmile:

yep, HDD as primary master, dvd and cdrw on secondary.
unless of course you have raid connectors on your motherboard. in that case, you can put everything by itself.

The one situation I have found where it is necessary to put the optical drives on separate channels is where I want to access them at the same time from different tasks/programs. If I want to burn to 2 burners at the same time form different instances of Nero, or different burning apps, OR, when I’m reading from one drive in one program, and burning to another in another program.
Ib these situations i must have them on separate channels. For direct disc to disc copying, they are fine on the same channle, as this is one operation. You can also burn to 2 burners on the same channel, if you are burning multiple copies from one instance of Nero.
As always, YMMV.

actually, I have a dual burner setup and I had problems with smartburn having to kick in with the burners on diff channels. I put them on the same one and it is fine now. I guess actualy mileage varies. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Slovak
I am getting, hopefully in the mail today, a Toshiba 1712 dvdrom and a LiteOn LTR-52246S cdrw. My question is how should I set them up for the best performance? One on the primary with the hard drive and the other on the secondary? Or both on the secondary? Also which one where as master and as slave?

Slovak,
First of all, contratulations on your slection of drives. Good choice.

More importantly, how you set them up depends on how you intend to use the drives. For IDE drives, data sender and reciver drives should be on separate cables. The explantion would be very lenglty which has already been covered many times before.

If you mostly burn from HD to burner, put them on separate cables. If you mostly burn from DVDROM to burner, put them on separate cables.

And you can always change your setup, if you are not happy with it. Try different ways and see which suits your needs best.

Here is a example, my settings:

Primary Master is CD-Rom.
Primay Slave is NONE.
Secondary Master is Verbatim 40X.
Secondary Master is NONE.

My HDs are connected to a addon card.

For IDE drives, data sender and reciver drives should be on separate cables. The explantion would be very lenglty which has already been covered many times before.

The explanation is actually quite brief: this is wrong.

If you mostly burn from HD to burner, put them on separate cables. If you mostly burn from DVDROM to burner, put them on separate cables.

Again, wrong.
Copying a CD is ONE operation, not 2. the reading drive and the writing drive can be on the same channel with no problem. Here, I get 48x copy speeds, on-the-fly with both of the drives on the same channel.

Yea, what rdgrimes said is right, but it depends on your chipset. Some people are able to do this and others are not, on this pc for example, I can’t, but on my other P4 one I can. So all you can do to make certain is test it out.

Originally posted by dfourthhorseman
Yea, what rdgrimes said is right, but it depends on your chipset. Some people are able to do this and others are not, on this pc for example, I can’t, but on my other P4 one I can. So all you can do to make certain is test it out.

That is strange because I have P4 1.2 with 512 MB RAM and I have to put my drives on different cables.

there is a million possible varialbles. could be something as simple as a firmware revision, or a chipset driver. I’ve always had good success copying drive to drive on the same cable, and now that I have dual burners, they perform terribly unless they are on the same cable.

That is strange because I have P4 1.2 with 512 MB RAM and I have to put my drives on different cables.

Our chipsets, among other things, are probably different. There are many chipsets for P4s, from Intel to VIA.