Best way to rip DVD's for Vista PC playback?

vbimport

Hi! I’m just getting started with DVDFab Platinum . . . I’ve been using a Sony 400-disc DVD player, and now I’m trying to move most of the content to a new HP Slimline s3220n PC in my media room.

Still trying to figure out the best way to rip DVD’s at the best quality to show on a 47" 1080p LCD monitor- my goal is to break the DVD’s into Chapters, and play the best chapters in a random sequence as party entertainment- but now without long paused to nchange discs, FBI warnings, trailers, credits, and all of the other obnoxious junk!

It looks like using the DVD to Mobile XBox 360 settings to create .WMV files is the easiest way, but I’m not sure how fast to set the bitrate- I’m using the highest setting, and it takes a long time, but the files look great!

Any suggestions on the best settings, or alternative routes to create a bunch of video files I can make a playlist from?

I’m using Nero 7 ShowTime for playback, since that has playlist capability (although not random play), as I’ve found Vista Media Center to be rather flaky!

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Orrin

My Media System:
HP Pavilion Slimline s3220n, Intel Core2Duo E6550 2.33GHz, 4GB DDR2 667 RAM
Windows Vista 32 Home Premium
Galaxy GeForce 8600GT 256M DDR3 low-profile video card
Hitachi 400GB SATA Drive
Magnavox (Philips) 47" 1080p LCD TV (using VGA input)
Squeezebox audio player

[QUOTE=orrinc;1999748]Hi! I’m just getting started with DVDFab Platinum . . . I’ve been using a Sony 400-disc DVD player, and now I’m trying to move most of the content to a new HP Slimline s3220n PC in my media room.

Still trying to figure out the best way to rip DVD’s at the best quality to show on a 47" 1080p LCD monitor- my goal is to break the DVD’s into Chapters, and play the best chapters in a random sequence as party entertainment- but now without long paused to nchange discs, FBI warnings, trailers, credits, and all of the other obnoxious junk!

It looks like using the DVD to Mobile XBox 360 settings to create .WMV files is the easiest way, but I’m not sure how fast to set the bitrate- I’m using the highest setting, and it takes a long time, but the files look great!

Any suggestions on the best settings, or alternative routes to create a bunch of video files I can make a playlist from?

I’m using Nero 7 ShowTime for playback, since that has playlist capability (although not random play), as I’ve found Vista Media Center to be rather flaky!

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Orrin

[U]My Media System:[/U]
HP Pavilion Slimline s3220n, Intel Core2Duo E6550 2.33GHz, 4GB DDR2 667 RAM
Windows Vista 32 Home Premium
Galaxy GeForce 8600GT 256M DDR3 low-profile video card
Hitachi 400GB SATA Drive
Magnavox (Philips) 47" 1080p LCD TV (using VGA input)
Squeezebox audio player[/QUOTE]

Hey Mike can you transfer this to DVDFab section

Conversion to avi (Divx/Xvid) would also be a viable solution. It is a pretty straight forward procedure using AutoGK.

As for quality, you will have to decide that on your own. Simply create several 5 minute conversions using different bitrates and decide at which point you start to notice quality loss on your TV.

Conversion time is a completely different animal. Conversion is all cpu based so time will vary depending on the speed of your hardware.