Best way to rip DVD?

vbimport

I have a Samsung SE-S204S USB External DVD burner. I have a collection of over 200 movies that I’d like to make copies of. I would like to know what the best program(s) to use is to get the highest quality copies, as close to 1:1 as possible.

My DVD media I wish to burn to is LightScribe 16x DVD-R. I am running Windows XP Home SP3. I have access to DVDFab, AnyDVD HD, DVDSmith, CloneDVD2, AnyReader, etc. (pretty much any and all programs available, I can get it)

SO… my question is this: In order to get the highest quality copies of my original DVDs, what program(s) should I use and would it be better to back them up first (to VOB files like DVDSmith does) or an AVI file (like bitRipper does) or and ISO image (like CloneDVD2 does)

Please share your personal opinions and feel free to use technical terms, as I have a degree in Information Technology (specifically Customer Support) and can understand the jargon.

[QUOTE=xSeanBoi;2489637]I have a Samsung SE-S204S USB External DVD burner. I have a collection of over 200 movies that I’d like to make copies of. I would like to know what the best program(s) to use is to get the highest quality copies, as close to 1:1 as possible.

DVD media I wish to burn to is LightScribe 16x DVD-R. I am running Windows XP Home SP3. I have access to DVDFab, AnyDVD HD, DVDSmith, CloneDVD2, AnyReader, etc. (pretty much any and all programs available, I can get it)

SO… my question is this: In order to get the highest quality copies of my original DVDs, what program(s) should I use and would it be better to back them up first (to VOB files like DVDSmith does) or an AVI file (like bitRipper does) or and ISO image (like CloneDVD2 does)

Please share your personal opinions and feel free to use technical terms, as I have a degree in Information Technology (specifically Customer Support) and can understand the jargon.[/QUOTE]
You won’t get a 1:1 copy of most movies on single layer media. For best PQ I’d suggest using DVDFab and ripping movie only, removing unwanted soundtracks and subtitles. You can either let Fab shrink them or use DVD Shrink on the fab output. Either way, burn with ImgBurn. ISO or folder is your choice, although I prefer ISO. Single files are easier to keep track of then a bunch of directories with similar filenames in them.

Anydvd with Clonedvd works well, remove the extra audio streams and video clips that are unnecessary. Burn the movie using IMGburn.

you said your first concern is ‘Quality’.
a disk image copy … “ISO” should be an exact byte-for-byte replica of the original disks data.
if you have software that will copy a dvd as an ISO image it should be 0 change, 0 loss.
any dvd software that will burn the image to a disk should be ok to use thereafter.
note:
more than 50% of retail movie disks are actually dual-layer.
any dvd over 4.5gb will require a dual-layer burner (and DL media) for copying.

You forgot the copy protection involved.