Best Way to "Label" a Burned CD?

vbimport

I am new to burning CD’s (and also to this forum) and am wondering what is the best way to label a CD which I have burned. It seems to me that there are 3 ways.

• Get a CD/DVD burner drive with “Lightscribe” capability and use “Lightscribe” software and “Lightscribe” capable CD’s (or DVDs) to burn a label directly onto the top of the CD/DVD.

• Use a label printer such as “Acoustica” to print a paper “sticker” label which can be attached to the top of the disk (or hand print a paper adhesive label and stick it to the top of the disk).

• Use a highlighting or marking pen to write directly on the top of the disk.

I have heard that it is not good to affix paper stickers to the top of the disk since that can block the transfer of data and/or speed deterioration of the disk. I have also heard that writing directly on the disk with a marking pen can cause the same problem.

Are either of these concerns true? Can someone offer any suggestions or comments about the best way to label a burned CD/DVD if I don’t yet have a “Lightscribe” drive? Thanks.

[QUOTE=Tumbleweed1;2116086]I am new to burning CD’s (and also to this forum) and am wondering what is the best way to label a CD which I have burned. It seems to me that there are 3 ways.

• Get a CD/DVD burner drive with “Lightscribe” capability and use “Lightscribe” software and “Lightscribe” capable CD’s (or DVDs) to burn a label directly onto the top of the CD/DVD.

• Use a label printer such as “Acoustica” to print a paper “sticker” label which can be attached to the top of the disk (or hand print a paper adhesive label and stick it to the top of the disk).

• Use a highlighting or marking pen to write directly on the top of the disk.

I have heard that it is not good to affix paper stickers to the top of the disk since that can block the transfer of data and/or speed deterioration of the disk. I have also heard that writing directly on the disk with a marking pen can cause the same problem.

Are either of these concerns true? Can someone offer any suggestions or comments about the best way to label a burned CD/DVD if I don’t yet have a “Lightscribe” drive? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Please read this first before using any sticky paper labels
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/sticky-paper-labels-dvd-r-discs-beware-173236/

Okay here is some suggestions for labeling your discs

1. go ahead and get a LightScribe burner but you will have to pay a Premium for the LightScribe discs over regular or Inkjet printable discs
  2. buy a Inkjet printer capable of printing on CD/DVD and use Inkjet printable CD/DVD discs
  3. just use regular discs and get a CD/DVD marker pin but don’t press down to hard when writing on Cd’s but DVDs are a bit more durable though
    so you can use a little more pressure on them when writing.

If you want professional-looking results, go with an inkjet capable of printing disks.
I’d recommend a Canon printer, probably an iP4500 if you don’t need an AIO.
If you’re in the US, you will have to enable the Canon printer to print disks and purchase a CD tray.
TY Watershields and Verbatim printables are very good printable media.
There are a few different printable types by these mfrs so you may want to research or ask here before you buy.

I use a felt marker when I’m in a hurry and don’t care about appearance.
I have 6 or 7 LightScribe capable drives that have never been used for LightScribing.

I have an old trick that I’ve learnt earlier from someone here on CDFreaks, and since then, I haven’t used any other marking “system” :stuck_out_tongue:

Go get a felt tip/DVD marker or even a swiss knife!! and write whatever you want ON THE INTERIOR HUB of the disc, on the transparent plastic part, where you have no dye to spoil or worry about :slight_smile:

so, no deteriorating CD liquor surface, no vibrating DVDs, and no more stickers peeling off!!!
well, of course, that only helps you “label” your discs, but not actually print on them… as i just NEVER feel safe with a sticker, that’s why, for other neat and classy effects… I just use LightScribe!!!

just hope this’s been of some use :wink:

IMO just use a Sharpie Ultra Fine Point Permanent Marker.