Best way to hook up Bluray and Receiver

I have the Yamaha HTR-5860 receiver (which does not have HDMI capabilities) and the Samsung BD-P1200. I thought that the best way to connect the two together would be via the Digital Optical Cable, but is that correct? I recently learned of the 5.1 analog audio output on the back of my bluray player, but I don’t know if that is better or not…any suggestions???

Also…my receiver is 7.1 capable, but I don’t know if my blu-ray player will support the 7.1 or even provides a 7.1 signal. Please help!

Optical does not have the necessary bandwidth to transmit HD/lossless audio - only ac3 & dts for 6 (5.1) channels.

If you want to experience HD/lossless audio (5.1), you will need to use the analogue outputs & hope that your receiver can take the higher frequency, and that the BD-P1200 has decoding of the HD audio streams, rather than bitstreaming.

7.1 Channel lossless audio requires HDMI.

A quick look at the specs shows that the Samsung has 6.1 output as RCA/analogue and your Receiver has 7.1 input using RCA/Analogue
You can get 6.1 Sound. Keep the cables as short as possible, and you’ll be fine :wink:

[QUOTE=debro;2303040]Optical does not have the necessary bandwidth to transmit HD/lossless audio - only ac3 & dts for 6 (5.1) channels.

If you want to experience HD/lossless audio (5.1), you will need to use the analogue outputs & hope that your receiver can take the higher frequency, and that the BD-P1200 has decoding of the HD audio streams, rather than bitstreaming.

7.1 Channel lossless audio requires HDMI.

A quick look at the specs shows that the Samsung has 6.1 output as RCA/analogue and your Receiver has 7.1 input using RCA/Analogue
You can get 6.1 Sound. Keep the cables as short as possible, and you’ll be fine ;)[/QUOTE]

True. This is why many newer BD players no longer have an optical digital audio output - digital audio output is only possible via HDMI or the coaxial digital audio output on such players. After all, the optical digital signal was originally designed to carry only two channels (stereo) at maximum quality.

Many newer players no longer have multichannel analogue outputs - only stereo. In such cases, then, outputting even lossy AC3/DTS multichannel audio requires a digital audio connection since multichannel audio will get downmixed to stereo 2.0 before the audio signal even gets sent to the player’s DAC.