Best way to burn .WMV to play on non-PC player

There are a few movies that I have downloaded in the .wmv format. I want to be able to burn them so that they will play on my OPPO home theater DVD player. Can Windows Media Player 10 do this? What about Sonic’s My DVD or CyberLink’s PowerDVD (I have older versions of both of these)?

I may be wrong, but I believe you will have to convert those .wmv files over to mpeg2/dvd or possibly divx avi in order to play them on a standalone dvd player. Virtually all the Oppo players I have read about can play divx encoded avi, but it would be just as easy and more compatible to convert to dvd format if you don’t care about much larger files.

ConvertXtoDVD is a commercial product that can do this for you.

FAVC is a free alternative: http://favcfavc.googlepages.com/home

And SUPER is a free encoding program that should work for this conversion also: http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Assuming your .wmv files are not DRM protected.

[QUOTE=borat007;1932021]There are a few movies that I have downloaded in the .wmv format. I want to be able to burn them so that they will play on my OPPO home theater DVD player. Can Windows Media Player 10 do this? What about Sonic’s My DVD or CyberLink’s PowerDVD (I have older versions of both of these)?[/QUOTE]

Correct, conversion is necessary before.
And expect problems with “downloaded movies” too.

You can use TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 with DIVX authoring. It will do what your looking to do.

I’ve downloaded SUPER but have not yet burned anything with it. The process shown on their FAQ page for question Q.032 (towards the bottom of the page) seems to be what I need to do. Does it matter if I burn a CD or DVD? Also, my Nero is version 5.5 ('03 vintage) my version of Sonic’s MyDVD is 4.0 (from '02). Will I need to upgrade either of these burners or is there a better alternative (preferably free)?

The TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 looks good (I guess -?) but $90 is way more than my budget allows. Is it any simpler to use or more user-friendly for a novice than SUPER?

Personally, I’d use FAVC instead.

Or if you use SUPER and your files are going to go over the 1gb limit for vobs, I’d go to dvd compliant mpeg2 instead, then use a free authoring program like GUIforDVDAuthor.

A free tool for burning is ImgBurn. Look through the guides at their forum for burning a dvd video. It is my main tool for burning dvds.