Best Value/Quality BD-Rs?

vbimport

So two days ago, I found out that the RiData BD-Rs I bought (for $0.80 a disc a year ago) have a shelf life about 1-year because they are Ritek RITEK-BR2-000. I was under the impression that all digital media like CD, DVDs, and BD-Rs have an essentially infinite shelf life.

So I want to buy truly long last BD-R disks. My main use for these the discs are for storing home movies which since I’m only 30 hope to have the next 50 years. We still have old VHS tapes that are 30 years old, so i dont think asking for 50 years is unreasonable.

In this forum people have suggested Verbatim, SmartBlu, and Panasonic as the best options. So with that I was wondering which of the following disks would you guys recommend.
Verbatim 6x $1.25 per disc
TDK 4x $1.32 per disc
Panasonic 4x MIJ $1.60 per disc
SmartBlu 4x $1.75 per disc

I have a 6x HP burner, so i guess i prefer 6x discs. But quality, longevity, compatibility, and price (in that order) are more important than having 6x discs. So which of these would you guys recommend, or is there another brand?

Personally I’d go for the Panasonics over the Verbatims and TDKs. I don’t have any experience of the SMartBlus.

The Panasonics are tested by the TUV in Germany for quality and longevity: http://www.tuvdotcom.com/quality_mar...0050?locale=en

They also came out best in an independent French test:

Lots of people on this forum also rate them highly.

Welcome to the forum :flower:

The Panasonics. Your burner’s firmware will very likely burn them at 6x if you choose. The independent testing results such as those Steve pointed to seem to be in agreement that they are one of or the best in quality/longevity.

NOT the TDKs. They are most likely Riteks.

Thank You for the feedback. I was leaning towards the Panasonic or Verbatim products. The fact that that Panasonic is MIJ (that still means a lot to me) and it is the Panasonic brand, so I am happy to see positive feedback on them. The one issue I had with the Panasonic was that all the information on the box is in Japanese. However, the MID of these disks exactly matches the MID from the french study, which i guess means these are identical disks. So that is encouraging.

From what I understand is that the Verbatim (non-LTH) discs and the Panasonics are the best. The problem is that the Panasonics can be hard to find. Thus far in the US, I have found only one seller via Amazon that even carries them and I for one am nervous about buying from “Buy In Japan”

I haven’t heard anything about Smartblu.

Jesterrace, so I actually bought the Panasonic Blu-ray discs. While I can’t comment on the discs more than what others have already said, I can say that the discs are exactly as described.

I had the discs imported from Japan via Amazon. Got them in about a week to 10 days. I bought them from seller Aoyama & Co (2900+ ratings, 97% positive). Definitely a pleasant experience. Prices have dropped since as they are around $1.35 per disc.

[QUOTE=Jesterrace;2687263]From what I understand is that the Verbatim (non-LTH) discs and the Panasonics are the best. The problem is that the Panasonics can be hard to find. Thus far in the US, I have found only one seller via Amazon that even carries them and I for one am nervous about buying from “Buy In Japan”

I haven’t heard anything about Smartblu.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Sudhakar2k;2687323]Jesterrace, so I actually bought the Panasonic Blu-ray discs. While I can’t comment on the discs more than what others have already said, I can say that the discs are exactly as described.

I had the discs imported from Japan via Amazon. Got them in about a week to 10 days. I bought them from seller Aoyama & Co (2900+ ratings, 97% positive). Definitely a pleasant experience. Prices have dropped since as they are around $1.35 per disc.

Good to know. Sad thing is that they are cheaper than the regular Verbie BD-R discs. I will definitely consider this option for the future.

[QUOTE=Sudhakar2k;2680062]So I want to buy truly long last BD-R disks. My main use for these the discs are for storing home movies which since I’m only 30 hope to have the next 50 years. We still have old VHS tapes that are 30 years old, so i dont think asking for 50 years is unreasonable.[/QUOTE]

Go for the ones in http://panasonic.net/avc/blu-ray_disc/lineup.html which say 50 year archive life.

The ones in http://tinyurl.com/kk3rr6p are LM-BRS25LT50 and not listed in the above, so I’m not sure how good they are, maybe they are Panasonic’s “budget” line(?)