Best USB ATSC OTA tuner

I been looking for a good USB powered OTA ATSC TV tuner for use on my laptop mainly for when I travel but if I find a good one to leave at home to record with on my PC too.

I have already tried one: Pinnacle PCTV HD Ultimate Stick and was sorely let down by it. It only worked on 1/2 the computers I own and wouldn’t work on the one laptop I take with me all the time. I have since returned it and got my money back.

I can’t seem to find any real opinions on what others think is the best to use or products that they suggest or use daily themselves. I chose the Pinnacle because of of the reviews it got from where I bought it but after looking at some other sights they complained about the same things I did and no one ever seemed to have their issues resolved by Pinnacle.

Any help on a product that may actually work for me or at least that’s better than what I have already tried are greatly appreciated.

It seems like the card you tried required too much power to operate. Unfortunately, some PCs don’t provide much electrical current on the USB port. I have experienced this issue on various PCs with my USB-powered Western Digital passport portable hard disk.

If you have access to a local PC store, I would suggest trying another brand/model from there, as this way you don’t need to pay to ship it back if it fails also.

When you get another tuner, be sure to try all the USB ports on your laptop. For example, if the laptop has three USB ports and a built-in flash card reader, usually it will have its flash card reader and a USB port on one host controller and the other two USB ports on another controller (internally). As a result, there is a good chance that the USB port that is connected to the same host controller as the built-in flash reader will not provide as much current as the other two USB ports.

With desktop PCs, use the top rear USB ports when connecting to a TV tuner.

[QUOTE=Seán;2210978]It seems like the card you tried required too much power to operate. Unfortunately, some PCs don’t provide much electrical current on the USB port. I have experienced this issue on various PCs with my USB-powered Western Digital passport portable hard disk.

If you have access to a local PC store, I would suggest trying another brand/model from there, as this way you don’t need to pay to ship it back if it fails also.

When you get another tuner, be sure to try all the USB ports on your laptop. For example, if the laptop has three USB ports and a built-in flash card reader, usually it will have its flash card reader and a USB port on one host controller and the other two USB ports on another controller (internally). As a result, there is a good chance that the USB port that is connected to the same host controller as the built-in flash reader will not provide as much current as the other two USB ports.

With desktop PCs, use the top rear USB ports when connecting to a TV tuner.[/QUOTE]

I have five different PC’s and two different laptops it is my business to repair computers. I tried more than 50 combined USB ports on all the different computers it isn’t a power issue. I even stated in my OP that I tried more than one computer. I have tried XP 32bit, 64bit and Vista Ultimate 32bit and 64 bit on the various computers and tried all the USB ports on all the computers of course on the regular PC’s it is common sense to use the USB ports that are built right in the motherboard before you try the others because obviously they provide more power.

Pinnacle sent me a RMA and has already refunded me my money so I posted here looking for an alternative that others have had more success with.