Best storage for irreplaceable data

vbimport

so even with multiple USB-HDDs each would still only has a 3-4 year span regardless of how often you use it right? and burnt dvd, unless of that japanese tien yuden brand are still quite unrealiable, so does that mean the only reliable format that can store data with a guaranteed 10 year archival life-span and accessibility would be digital SD-Cards and solid state/flash memory/cartridges?

around 5 years back i’ve managed to get my hands on tons of verbatim branded discs, but even with a brand new hitachi burner and reading though the faqs for nero, my discs began to go dead one pile after another in less than 3 years,

it was a copy of an old atari game called yar’s revenge that i saw at an old shopping mall for 64cents back then, when i had walked over and picked it up, and as i held it i realized that, along with the pile of old nintendo cartridge on the shelf the data each stored in each these old plastic carts should still be readable if there were plugged into a compatible device, despite having came out over 2 decades ago.

and from then on, i back up a lot of my photos to SD-Cards, and i would have it no other way.

SD-cards and flash memory only have a certain number of write times, so i had to try to keep it minimum until it reaches full capacity, that’s when i flip the write protect “lock” nob on the sd-card and place it inside a metal container in the old shelf, never to be taken out again unless in extreme circumstances where my other external copies of the data have become damaged, lost or inaccessible.

so far i’ve only been able to get photos in there, the camcorder videos just take up way too much space, but i still try to shrink some of them to appropriate quality and squeeze them into another SD-card.

As for interface devices, i have a brand new unopened e-blue universal card reader tucked away inside the same metal container with the small stack of SD-cards.

i simply like SD-cards because of the write protect switch there, speaking from bad experience i had a 2nd generation 20gb hardrive that costed me 400usd back then, a virus got in there and turned all my files into unreadable notepad documents with gibberish names. it reminds me of the days years back of pretending to be a DJ when i was a kid, i ripped out the write-protect plastic of a few recorded cassettes that i think is “worthy enough” to not be recorded over, and the rest i just reuse it until hear over a million voices of myself echoing off and smooth-talking to each otherthough i still ended up stuffing the bottom gap with small paper and recorded them again, but atlesat i know that the next time i ended up pushing down on the darn REC button with the play button again my terrible “broadcast” would still be there … you know, that kind of protection feature having it is really assuring.

there used to be this old pc covered in complete rust back in school, i remember seeing those huge 4MB magnet tapes with the enclosure and individual fan inside it, it seems that very many of them can still be readable when disassembled and cleaned properly.

though i’m happy to indulge myself in these thoughts; that SD-cards will safeguard my tresured photos for another 10 years to come, i feel that i’m probably being an idiot and missing something here, and that the copy of yars revenge doesn’t actually work anymore.

maybe its time for nasa to mine that asteroid and moon rock to make new metal.

[QUOTE=tomoyoafter;2546939]… so does that mean the only reliable format that can store data with a guaranteed 10 year archival life-span and accessibility would be digital SD-Cards and solid state/flash memory/cartridges?

.[/QUOTE]

Actually, magnetic tape is still the most reliable solution for long term data storage. :wink:

You could use DVD or BD write once media to store your photo for long time without loosing them and then get a good case to protect the disc media and store them in a dry cool place to keep them still usable for long time to come. Flash stick or memory sick will eventually fail or get old over time just from using them.

i back up a lot of my photos to SD-Cards, and i would have it no other way.
Right here your already limiting your own long term storage capacity and options already. You need to rethink how you going to do long term storage and the medium you use.

so does that mean the only reliable format that can store data with a guaranteed 10 year archival life-span and accessibility would be digital SD-Cards and solid state/flash memory/cartridges?
Those two medium haven’t been tested or proven to be good long term storage that I now of yet currently.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2546973]You could use DVD or BD write once media to store your photo for long time without loosing them and then get a good case to protect the disc media and store them in a dry cool place to keep them still usable for long time to come.

Those two medium haven’t been tested or proven to be good long term storage that I now of yet currently.[/QUOTE]

i’ve had many negative experience with burning, the verbatims i burnt few years ago are all dead, i did everything right, new burner, proper setting and 8x-4x speed, i stored them inside an old bookhshelf away from sunlight and moisture. doesn’t work.

speaking of magnetic tapes i actually got a zip drive with a 100mb diskette back when it was going for cheap 7 dollars back then but lost it when i started moving again, but i dug up an old floppy from elementary school and it still has a demo of king’s bounty and wing commander on it. it still works

[U][B]No[/B][/U] kind and I do mean [U][B]No[/B][/U] kind of media is going to be 100% effective for long term / your life time
storage be it DVD, CD, floppy disc, magnetic tape, SD-Cards, external hdd, solid state/flash memory/
cartridges, or what ever. :disagree:

It is best to just use several different kinds of media to archive all of your irreplaceable photos, music,
camcorder footage, or whatever and get them out and check the quality of the media at certain points
in time for any signs of degrading quality and if any degrading does show up then replace it right then
before it dies and is lost forever. :iagree:

alright thanks for the reply…guess there’s nothing i can do but be slave to those photo.

Hard drives that are wrapped in an original static bag, then a layer of “pink” anti-stat bubble wrap, then stored in a waterproof container will be readable for a longer time than any other storage method.

what I consider “waterproof” is in a rubbermaid or tupperware container, that is then placed inside a metal ammo storage can.

BTW that can must be kept on the floor… because if it’s on the floor then it can’t fall there!

BTW2, hard drives are the cheapest storage media when you consider money, be it dollars, pounds, ducats, sheckels, francs or euros, per Gb.

AD