Best storage for DVDs?

vbimport

First off I hope this is the right spot.

I like to burn DVDs and want them to be stored for many years so I can go back one day and watch the ones I really liked with my wife. The only problem is that I have read that PVC sleeves are bad because over time there is static issues and recently read something about it while trying to look for a CD/DVD wallet online, which has made me wonder.

I want to know what is the best thing for DVD storing. Are CD/DVD wallets good enough and what brand/type would be the best? Storage boxes especially made for CD/DVDs any good with individual sleeving? If so then what type of sleeving should I get?

By the way I want something that saves space not like jewel cases.
If anyone knows the best storage for DVDs or has any experience with the above please share. Thank you.

[QUOTE=truxor;2041069]First off I hope this is the right spot.

I like to burn DVDs and want them to be stored for many years so I can go back one day and watch the ones I really liked with my wife. The only problem is that I have read that PVC sleeves are bad because over time there is static issues and recently read something about it while trying to look for a CD/DVD wallet online, which has made me wonder.

I want to know what is the best thing for DVD storing. Are CD/DVD wallets good enough and what brand/type would be the best? Storage boxes especially made for CD/DVDs any good with individual sleeving? If so then what type of sleeving should I get?

By the way I want something that saves space not like jewel cases.
If anyone knows the best storage for DVDs or has any experience with the above please share. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

You will have to give and take on DVD storage if you have lots of them. I use a CD/DVD wallet booklet that holds 208 media. But no matter how you store them they will get nicks or scratches just the nature of their use it’s the originals that you want to backup and keep. Then just use the backup to watch so if they get damaged you still have originals to make backup again.

I do have one that holds 224 right now and it’s almost filled up, but I have two concerns 1) the pressure it gives the DVDs when I close the wallet 2) pressure resulting in little square lines over the years from the cases

I use cd/dvd wallets, 520 capacity, from Supermedia!:cool:

http://supermediastore.com/cd-wallet-cd-holder-cd-storage-wallet-extra-large-capacity.html

CD/DVD wallets have a huge defetc: they can warp discs. Moreover, the plastic sleeves can also scratch discs when you insert/remove discs from them.

A warped disc is unreadable, and it actually can also damage the drive if you try to read it.

The best way to store discs is the jewel case. Yes, I know, it is the most cumbersome solution, but it is also the safest one.

A reasonable alternative are cakeboxes (most blank DVDs are sold in these boxes, so it is a safe way to store discs), but they are also uncomfortable when you need to search for a specific disc.

Did you notice that very often when you search for a disc almost always the disc you are searching for is the last one in the pile? :doh:

Personally, I swear by these things:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=27743&doy=19m4

4-in-1 polyboxes allow you to put 4 discs in the place of 1 jewel case. They also have DVD-case-style plastic film on the outside so you can add a custom insert and/or - if you’re feeling lucky - another disk or two.

If you live in America, you will find something virtually identical on Rima.
http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=6317&Category_Code=PY
But they sell them by the 100 pack :frowning:

I use binders for my “everyday use” (read: easily replaced) discs, and keep one set of my archives in slim jewel cases, and the other set in a DJ-style aluminium case (in sleeves).

The combination of different storage solutions seems to work for me. :slight_smile:

thank guys. I’m thinking of buying those from Rima.com and then storing them in a specially made storage box.

Originals in Dvd cases, most have never got to see the inside of a Dvd player. Backups in CD/DVD wallets, some hold 208, some hold 352.

Dark, dust/smokefree & vertical storage, with index, can be locked and carried (if necessary):
http://www.hama.de/portal/articleId111531/action2563;jsessionid=B9696427E1ADC79F3A602F3A5E9C2214.tomcat_de_lin23

I paid €uro 17 at a local media store.