Best Standalone DivX player out right now?

I currently have a Philips DVP642… older player. It doesn’t FF/REW through DivX very well (slow). And I want more functionality from my player (such as USB, SD/MMC slot, Network, etc.). So I want a new one.

I’ve been trying to do research but a lot of sites lead me to outdated lists of old models or ones so exotic they can’t even be ordered from a well-known ONLINE retailer.

What’s the most feature-full mainstream player out that people are giving a thumbs up to?
Spending limit is $150

I’ll keep looking meantime.

Thanks in advance!

Pioneer DV-410

That Pioneer looks good. Any other suggestions?

None that I can personally recommend. The Pioneer players have great build quality and have worked very well for me.

There was one I used at work and it frustrated me because it took forever to eject the discs!

How well can they seek/FF/REW through a DivX or other multimedia file?
My current Philips doesn’t like to do this. Takes forever. To skip to the middle of a 2hr movie I’d have to leave it and come back to check it’s progress…

[QUOTE=KamronDTS;2297593]There was one I used at work and it frustrated me because it took forever to eject the discs!

How well can they seek/FF/REW through a DivX or other multimedia file?
My current Philips doesn’t like to do this. Takes forever. To skip to the middle of a 2hr movie I’d have to leave it and come back to check it’s progress…[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that the USB ports on the less expensive DVD/DivX players aren’t true high speed 2.0 ports. They function like 1.1 ports. I find that the speed that video fast forwards and reverses depends a lot on the flash drive or HD along with the bit rate of the video file. I have a fast 8 GB flash drive that causes the video to hesitate while a cheap Micro Center 4 GB flash drive that is painfully slow plays very smooth. Also, the rewind is usually much slower than the fast forward with AVI files for some reason. Probably because they are programmed to read ahead more efficiently than reading backward in the files. One thing I have noticed is that playing AVI files from a DVD allows for much faster seek times and FF/REW operations with the DivX players I use.

[QUOTE=UTR;2297640]Keep in mind that the USB ports on the less expensive DVD/DivX players aren’t true high speed 2.0 ports. They function like 1.1 ports. I find that the speed that video fast forwards and reverses depends a lot on the flash drive or HD along with the bit rate of the video file. I have a fast 8 GB flash drive that causes the video to hesitate while a cheap Micro Center 4 GB flash drive that is painfully slow plays very smooth. Also, the rewind is usually much slower than the fast forward with AVI files for some reason. Probably because they are programmed to read ahead more efficiently than reading backward in the files. One thing I have noticed is that playing AVI files from a DVD allows for much faster seek times and FF/REW operations with the DivX players I use.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the player I have now does not have USB.
So I’d like to assume this Pioneer unit has USB v2.0 but it wouldn’t surprise me if it did not.

We’ll see. You know of any reviews on this unit? I tried googling but nothing turned up. I’ll have the check again.

Do you know if the Pioneer units can handle long file names?

To some extent, yes, but it is limited.