Best space-saving way to store DVD±Rs

Greetings all,

I have a growing collection of DVD±Rs that I want to store in the best way possible for maximum longevity. Scanning other threads, I learned about the disadvantages of sleeve storage. I used to use slim cd jewel cases, but I fell to marketing hype and currently store my collection in polypropylene binders with 100% non-woven polypropylene sleeves from unikeep.com (the “safest” looking sleeve storage system I’ve seen so far). The binders are stored vertically. The upside is that this method saves a lot of space. The downside is that its possible the discs may warp because they are 1) not supported at the hub and 2) may be subjected to movement when the pages are turned. However, when the binder is packed to capacity, the discs are pressed together and stand vertically. Also, the disc pages lay totally flat when the binder is open. Still, I am considering replacing this storage system with slim dvd cases if this would be an improvement, even if they take much more space. I take it that the slim dvd cases are “better” than jewel cases. What do you think, should I switch? And if so, where can I buy “safe” slim dvd cases in bulk?

I use these double DVD cases and store 2 movies in each. The slim DVD cases don’t really save room cause you can still only put one in a standard slot in DVD storage racks, and the spine on these is easier to read.
If you really want to pack them in, the 4-CD jewel cases would do it.

I think you may be right. Even though it will take about 11 times more space to store 80 discs, for example, at least I know that they will be stored the way DVDs were meant to be stored. I cannot tell if my current method is good enough to provide for media longevity. And I foresee the wear and tear that can be caused by flipping sleeve pages.

I don’t suppose it would hurt to get cases labeled as polypropylene, but I guess this doesn’t matter so as long as the disc surface is not touching the case, correct?

I’m not sure you can rely on “longevity” in any situation, :sad: , but sleeves will certainly speed up a disc’s demise. I think you should use black CD/DVD cases, keep them cool (no direct sun), and hope for the best.

USE SLEEVES : if you are not removing the disk often - the centre “support” is not a support at all, it can crack a disk (especially bonded disks (DVDs)) and can warp them if not kept vertical.

I use a 520 sleeve DVD Aluminum flight case. All disks are vertical and keep out of light and extreem temperature.

If you are using the disks a lot then a DVD film case it the best.
These have a slightly looser centre mount than do CD cases, this is to prevent splitting the bond.

Has anyone considered thin cd cases? A perfect example is the 40 pack of Teon cases at Staples. They’re half as thick as regular jewel cases and they hold the disk just fine although I have heard of some cd cases that hold DVDs too tight. I imagine you could put quite a few on a bookshelf or in a box. Personally, if I didn’t already have so many DVD cases I think I’d be using them. Sort of wish I did from the start. Now I have to figure out where to put them all too.

With thin cases, it’s too hard to put a label on the spine and the center mount wears out too quickly.

About monster_fighters post… If a disc has nowhere to move, as in a binder packed to capacity, then it has no way to warp, right? But if you store it in a case, a disc can warp due to gravity unless the case is absolutely vertical, correct?

I’m fixin’ to switch from binders to sleves as, laying out 5 binders at a gig takes up a TON of room. Moving to a coffin-style flight case as Monster Fighter had mentioned.

JD

how about these cases that hold 6 discs…

http://www.supermediastore.com/black-multi-dvd-case-6-disc.html

Yeah, a binder that is fully packed or doesn’t get thrown around much would be good.

Jewel cases are probably fine, but the theory is (from some cd longevity test centre) that it can warp disks if kept face down/up.

I use a sleeved flight case for my backups and wallets for my day-to-day copies.

the best “space saving” method is double sided single sleeves and store them vertically in any box-like container suitable for the dimensions.

I’ve been considering the double-sided vinal sleeves, as they’re less than tyvek sleeves! Not sure which way I’m going to go yet though.

JD

JD, i use these and like em a lot…got 200 sleeves to fit 400 discs with nice space-saving:

These:

http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=6123&Category_Code=CS

are what I’m thinking about. How much do the one’s you got cost you? If they’re cheaper than the ones available at Rima, I’d be interested. Supermedia has a free shipping deal on paper sleves with glasine windows, but I don’t really like them on a few different levels. If there were no shipping charge on the vinal ones from Rima, they’d actualy be the SAME PRIVE as the paper ones (per cd stored) from supermedia! ($4.00/100 paper sleves w/free shipping right now)

JD

1. I use paper sleeves. I know it is not the best way in the world but definitely it is one of the most space-saving methods.

2. I admit a solid container such as a slim case is much better than my method. If someone has the money and space, then just do it.

3. But if you don’t, so you consider cheaper options… then I have an opinion. Camparing between sleeve options… I believe the most important thing is “Not to let your DVD be exposed to the outside air” (Especially when your room is dusty. :slight_smile: ). Many palstic sleeves has an open structure, I threw all of them away after a few terrible experiences.

I can put 2 dvds in each slot on my storage rack but I still have the problem of not knowing what is on the disks unless I pull them out. :a :a :a

#1 Paper sleeves for movies and video backups. (Would like to get cheap, or make Tyvek sleeves)
I just subscribed to a movie mail order / return service here in Canada and they mail the disk in what feels like Tyvek and that is in a plain paper envelop when returned to them.

#2 Spindles for disk archiving (3 duplicate disks on different brands before deleting)
I don’t know if this is bad for pits on the disk, but since they sit that way in stores and warehouses, I guess they can sit that way in my house.

Was storing sleeves in Sterilite plastic bread cases (.99 cents cdn). The sleeves just fit, if you cut the bottom corners off since the case rounded a bit at the bottom. The plastic container will keep the dust out, and the small slits in the envelop I assume won’t hurt anything.

Now I found a tupperware case, a lot sturdier and snap on lid with a small handle that holds about 160 disks in sleeves. Its big enough that the sleeve corners don’t need to be cut. Model 3E07 about $5.00 cdn. There is a half size case that would probably hold 75 for $4.00.

then why does 90% media come in spindles, lol

:slight_smile:

Because they are SPINDLED, not individualy packaged in such a way that each disk is supported ONLY by the hole in the hub.

@ Monster_Fighter
What brand is your case, and was it terribly expensive? I’m going to shop a case of coffin first, but if I can’t find something I like reasonable, I’ll build my own.

JD

hey JD, sorry i didn’t respond earlier…was out of the country for 3 weeks.

a pack of 100 sleeves are 12.99 at Best Buy though i think i got them on sale (like 10% off): http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6500618&type=product&id=1096380292478