Best Sound card for transferring audio cassettes

Hi,

I’m currently using a sigma tel sound card that came with my Dell Dimension 5100. I now would like to upgrade as I am starting to transfer my cassette/lp collection onto my HDD and then onto Cd. I do not use my P.C for gaming or watching tv/video so it’s primary use is for audio.

I would also like to play my Flac files through my Cambridge Audio 640a V.2
so I assume i would need a LINE OUT on the s/card as well, my sigma tel doesn’t appear to have a line out…

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Hi,[QUOTE=whiskybob;2305845]
I’m currently using a sigma tel sound card that came with my Dell Dimension 5100. I now would like to upgrade as I am starting to transfer my cassette/lp collection onto my HDD and then onto Cd. I do not use my P.C for gaming or watching tv/video so it’s primary use is for audio.[/quote]I’d then go for musicians stuff. Check shops, that sell music instruments and musician’s equipment.

I would also like to play my Flac files through my Cambridge Audio 640a V.2
so I assume i would need a LINE OUT on the s/card as well, my sigma tel doesn’t appear to have a line out…
It has for sure. It’s the green jack, where your speakers are plugged in now. :slight_smile:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2305877]
It has for sure. It’s the green jack, where your speakers are plugged in now. :slight_smile:

Michael[/QUOTE]

Thanks Michael for the reply. I used a 3.5 mini jack into the green socket of the sound card and put the RCA connectors into the Aux and then the Dvd of the Cambridge Audio amp but there was no sound. All other connections are working fine Cd player/tuner & turntable so I wonder why there was no sound?

If you have any ideas please help!!!

Have you already checked the audio controls? Perhaps you have just muted one channel or something like this.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2305896]Have you already checked the audio controls? Perhaps you have just muted one channel or something like this.

Michael[/QUOTE]

I went into the sound configuration and made sure nothing was muted, it seems strange that there must be a logical explanation…I just can’t find it!!

You happen to have phones plugged in the front audio jack perhaps?

I personally like the SB Audigy series with front panel, but specifically the front panel that has RCA in, I noticed much better sounds quality transfers on RCA than 3.5mm jacks and hence easier to then edit any hiss and pops thereafter using third party software (Steinberg is a fav for that)

Soundblaster is actually quite crappy despite what people say (they were great about 10-15 years ago though), if you want “premium” I’d have a look at “Asus Xonar Essence STX” but it’s quite expensive (around 200$). If you still want a decent card without shelling out that kind of money “Audiotrack PRODIGY 7.1 XT” should be quite a decent choice which is around 120$ mark. Keep in mind that having a good deck is more important than a super hifi sound card. If you want to connect your turntable to your computer you need a pre-amp no matter what sound card you get, easiest way around this and most likely the best way is to use an receiver/amp. Hook up the turntable as you normally do and connect tape out (on the receiver) to your line-in on your sound card. This is however not necessary using a deck which can be connected directly without any issues.
//Danne

I’ve taken so much advice…Thanks.

The one that looks best for my use and well within price range is
M Audio Audiphile 24/96 soundcard.

Does anyone have experience of this card?
I’ll be using it primarily to transfer tapes/vinyl as well as play back flac files through my Cambridge Audio Amp.

Are these easy to fit?

[QUOTE=whiskybob;2306714]I’ve taken so much advice…Thanks.

The one that looks best for my use and well within price range is
M Audio Audiphile 24/96 soundcard.

Does anyone have experience of this card?[/quote]No personal experience, but this card seems to be very popular in the “recording community”.

Are these easy to fit?
Normally, yes. I’d suggest to grab the manual from the manufacturer’s website, and also check if there are drivers for the version of Windows you are using, available.

Michael