Best software to make my computer faster

I’ve seen so much software to update drivers, speed up my PC etc. I just wonder what the experts here use to make their PC faster?

I’ve tried Regclean Pro, Tune Up Utilities and Advanced Windows Care, but none of them seem to really do a good job…

Thanks for proving that these “optimizers” and stuff are all snake oil.

There is no such thing like software that speeds up your computer. Period.

Michael

Ditto :iagree:

Actually, the more software you install the higher is probability that the computer will become slower. Some software, for example, install services that are running in background.

The best way to make a computer faster is configuring the operative system at the best, shutting down every unused service, avoiding installing useless software, and so on. Too bad, however, these optimizations are not easy to do without modifying the registry or settings are so hidden that is almost impossible to find them (often there is no documentation available :doh: )

“Snake oil” indeed. “Less” is always best. One thing I do for clients to speed up their computers is remove as many schedulers as I can find - the auto-update crap. I’m hoping that Win8 precepts will be observed so that, as new apps are loaded, they won’t be also installing their own schedulers but will be indeed using Windows’ own scheduler, running once, with only a longer list of deeds.

I think there is software that can speed up some things .
CCleaner used to clean out the junk files. It also has a registry cleaner
& it offers a backup which should be used(at least temporarily). Then if eveything is working after a couple of weeks you can delete the registry back up file .
I have some other software that also cleans & all of it is manually started .
The Black Viper site has a list of services & how to set them . From default to “Power user”.
I agree as many services as you can [B]Safely[/B] either set to manual or disable the better .
Use Run/msconfig & uncheck anything you don’t need to start with Windows. Check this more than once to see if a program adds itself back to the start up.
If it does track down why & stop it .
Shut off anything that auto updates unless you need it because you can barely remember your own name .
Turn off (if possible) anything that phones home .
If you can use or even force a program to be a “Portable” do that.
Unless you use it frequently enough to need it installed & it needs frequent updates.
A portable just occupies space but no resources unless you are using it.

See if that helps.

I find the best “barely remember own name” is to use it more frequently. I think ‘stored passwords’ is absolutely the worst strategy because nothing seldomly used is easily or expertly remembered.

Reduce the storage size settings of your Temporary Internet Files folder to it’s lowest settings if you’re an IE user…the same applies for other browser’s cache and cookie folders.
Realtime antivirus and HIPS scan a 1 GB file faster than 1000 files of 1 MB at your browser’s temp folder…:bigsmile: