Best software player for unique system

vbimport

I’m looking for a (commercial) player for my movies, both DVDs and those stored on my media-library HDD.

I have a DAW (digital audio workstation) which means that my PreSonus soundcard/audio interface uses the ASIO driver protocol. Compatibility would be nice (and shouldn’t be much of an issue). My audio is 2.1 with KRK powered near-field monitors and sub. Also, I have twin monitors and would enjoy being able to spread the film across both. That’s an nVidia setting and again, shouldn’t be much of an issue. Presently, I run WinXP SP3. I use a Hauppauge 1600/SnapStream to do video capture and send it out through an evga 8800 GT GPU.

For backup I utilize SlySoft AnyDVD and CloneDVD. I occasionally watch Netflix instant streams on my PC, which uses it’s own proprietary player, so I wish to ensure no software conflicts

First and foremost I want the best available quality in video and audio playback. Everything else (to me) is secondary.

I’ve been researching PowerDVD and WinDVD, which seem to get the most press, but then I come across people who say that BlazeDVD cannot be beat. FWIW I have studied the software player reviews here on our website

If freeware exists that trumps the commercial products, tell me. I’m most interested in this community’s opinions.

Thanks for reading.

BTW, before I wrote the above I read all the positive comments about VLC media player. First of all, is the video and audio quality of DVDs played via VLC software equal to or better than, say PowerDVD?

Anyway, I installed VLC and ran into a problem.

I’m a DAP (digital audio player) fan. Like many with this fetish, I use J.River Media Jukebox to manage my audio collection and playback at my PC.

Anyway, the moment I installed VLC, it assigned itself as the [B]default player[/B] for all my audio stuff and wouldn’t let go. I looked in the help menu, googled it but could not find a way to prevent VLC from becoming the default media player. I uninstalled VLC, allowing J.River Media Jukebox to re-assume its jukebox duties.

Is there a workaround that I missed so that, if I choose, I can use J.River for my music and VLC for movies?

When you install VLC, read everything & you will come to a page where you can decide if it becomes the default.

beef barley, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Could you be more specific? I did read the help stuff but if it was there, I must have missed it. I certainly never authorized it to be the default media player.

Where is this tasty tidbit of information?

LowWaterMark,
Sorry, if I am intruding–but I just installed the latest version of VLC 0.9.6 two days ago and I distinctly remember a window during the installation process asking which file types to assign VLC as the default player.
Similar to what you want, I chose only video file types for VLC to automatically handle.
:slight_smile:

Weird. I’ll try again.

If PowerDVD and WinDVD were free, would you still use VLC?

[QUOTE=LowWaterMark;2155113]
If PowerDVD and WinDVD were free, would you still use VLC?[/QUOTE]

Yup…:iagree:

VLC is a good player, but if you want to check functionality of DVD, buttons and so on than PowerDVD is one to use.

:slight_smile:

VLC. I need to know why here swear by it. Is it the quality of the video playback? Is it the audio fidelity?

Honestly, I’ll be using this utility to watch movies 80% of the times I start it up. Please, do tell why VLC is so loved around these parts and why I should install it.

[QUOTE=LowWaterMark;2155113]Weird. I’ll try again.

If PowerDVD and WinDVD were free, would you still use VLC?[/QUOTE]

No I don’t limit my usage to one player…I have both WinDVD, VLC, WMP11 and Nero media player. So limiting yourself to one is akeen to handicapping yourself without diversity.

[QUOTE=LowWaterMark;2156342]VLC. I need to know why here swear by it. Is it the quality of the video playback? Is it the audio fidelity?

Honestly, I’ll be using this utility to watch movies 80% of the times I start it up. Please, do tell why VLC is so loved around these parts and why I should install it.[/QUOTE]

It plays formats that WMP11 without help of codec to play properly. That is the media player VLC is most compared to WMP11. I myself use WinDVD 8 Plat and it has worked well for me since I got it for just watching my DVD movies. I switch between VLC and WMP11/codec to give myself better enjoyment pleasure in knowing I have a option to use which software to use and when.

[B]coolcolors[/B], thank you for responding.

Your points are well taken. But the [I]enthusiasm[/I] amongst the folks here; it’s uncanny. What’s that all about? Could you address my question about the A/V quality on playback - is the fidelity to the source recording (be it a DVD or file on one’s HDD) as good as it gets?

[QUOTE=LowWaterMark;2156342]VLC. I need to know why here swear by it. Is it the quality of the video playback? Is it the audio fidelity?

Honestly, I’ll be using this utility to watch movies 80% of the times I start it up. Please, do tell why VLC is so loved around these parts and why I should install it.[/QUOTE]

[ol]
[li][U][B]freeware[/B][/U]
[/li]
[li]plays almost all formats
[/li]
[li]few bugs
[/li]
[li]updated regularly
[/li]
[li]no codec packs
[/li]
[li]open source
[/li]
[li]it just works :slight_smile:
[/li][/ol]

[QUOTE=LowWaterMark;2156413]Could you address my question about the A/V quality on playback - is the fidelity to the source recording (be it a DVD or file on one’s HDD) as good as it gets?[/QUOTE]

the software player will just read the data. the quality is [U]mostly[/U] dependent on source and hardware.

there is going to be exceptions to this. mainly the features of the software player. read closely the details of different players, many are free, just download and see if you like one more than another.

also try KMPlayer

troy512, you caught me online with insomnia after 2AM. Thanks for responding.

Well, my audio hardware’s fairly decent. I record with it. In addition to my signature below, I use powered nearfield monitors - KRK V4 Series 2. They are accurate almost to a fault; if the source sucks, I’ll know about it. So I try to buy FLAC when I can and I burn all my CDs to FLAC. And I watch films on twin ViewSonic flats.

I guess it is time for trial and error.

[QUOTE=troy512;2157520][ol]
[li][U][B]freeware[/B][/U][/li]
[li]plays almost all formats[/li]
[li]few bugs[/li]
[li]updated regularly[/li]
[li]no codec packs[/li]
[li]open source[/li]
[li]it just works :)[/li][/ol][/QUOTE]

Buggy with some mkv files I know I tested on those mkv files…so it’s still have some way to go there. As troy said its hardware and software dependent of quality but also I might add the way the dvd or video file was created and coded will also determine the quality itself when you play it. It goes as garbage in or poor encoding will produce garbage out when creating the source.