Best software for Plextor 708

vbimport

Just got me a plextor 708 and wanted to know the best burn software to use. I read that the Roxio software is not so great. I've read Nero and DVDshrink are good. How about DVDxCopy?

I'm installing this on a Dell 2400 (I know it's cheap!) and was wondering if that would be a problem? Anything special I need to do?

I was going to buy the Sony DRU510 but I was able to get the plextor for 180. Which was pretty close to the 510 price.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I use the latest Nero6.3.0.0? and Dvddecryptor for most of my burning needs, also alcohol 120% also

I use the following software with my PX-708A:

For general burning: Nero v6.3.0.2
For audio extraction (DAE): PlexTools v2.09
For DVD ripping: DVD Decrypter v3.1.9.0
For DVD transcoding: CloneDVD v1.3.11.2 and/or DVD Shrink v3.1.2
For DVD burning: CloneDVD v1.3.11.2

Works perfectly here!

I use Nero Nero v6.3.0.2 for standard burning and ripping and burning also DVD Decrypter v3.1.9.0
and DVD transcoding: CloneDVD v1.3.11.2
:smiley:

I’m very new to the exciting world of DVD backups, so I may be missing the obvious, but why use DVD Decrypter to rip and DVD Shrink or Clone to transcode, when DVD Shrink or Clone will accomplish both tasks? Is there a problem with way DVD Shrink or Clone rip, or is there something about DVD Decrypter that makes it that much better? Just curious, as right now I use DVD Shrink to rip/transcode and Nero to burn and that is it. So far it seems to work quite well.

EDIT By the way, I use a PX-708A so I guess my vote would be for the above metioned applications. I’m very happy so far.

CloneDVD cannot rip copy protected DVD’s on its own! That’s why you have to use a tool like DVD Decrypter or AnyDVD. I prefer DVD Decrypter because it’s freeware and does an excellent job every time. I don’t know about DVD Shrink but I think this software also cannot decrypt DVD’s either. DVD Decrypter, b.t.w, is not a transcoding software, only decryption (and burning) software.

If you have Sonic software installed, uninstall the Sonic DLA. Sonic came installed on my Dell 4600.

I got a BSOD everytime I inserted a DVD. Uninstalled Sonic DLA and it worked OK.

I’ve loaded Roxio 6 that came with the 708a. Loaded OK but I haven’t had much time to test it out yet.

@G@M3FR3@K,

DVD Shrink does decrypting. But I also love DVD Decrypter and I always use it
for decryption.

Regards,

ET

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
I don’t know about DVD Shrink but I think this software also cannot decrypt DVD’s either.

Thanks for the tip, eltranquil! Didn’t know that… But I also still use DVD Decrypter because it integrates into the Windows shell. So I insert a DVD, right mouse click on my drive and select “Decrypt using DVD Decrypter”. Can’t get any easier than that! :wink:

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
[B]I use the following software with my PX-708A:

For general burning: Nero v6.3.0.2
For audio extraction (DAE): PlexTools v2.09
For DVD ripping: DVD Decrypter v3.1.9.0
For DVD transcoding: CloneDVD v1.3.11.2 and/or DVD Shrink v3.1.2
For DVD burning: CloneDVD v1.3.11.2

Works perfectly here! [/B]

Burning: Nero 5.5.10.42 - 6.X installs a lot of stuff you don’t really need.
DVD Ripping/Re-encoding: DVD Decrypter, TMPGEnc Plus, (IfoEdit), TMPGEnc DVD Author, Nero (poor transcoding sucks).
DVD Burning: DVD Decrypter, it handles about all dvd-image formats you’ll encounter.
//Danne