Best Slim DVD Burner ? (9.5mm thick, for notebook...)

vbimport

Hi everybody,

I’m looking for a slim (9.5mm thick) DVD burner for my notebook.
My criteria are :

[ul]
[li]Silent operation
[/li][li]Burning speed (especially for DVD+/-RW)
[/li][li]Burning quality
[/li][li]& reliability
[/li][/ul]

Thanks for all.

i would like to know the same since i know from experience that the Lite-On SOSW-852S is total crap!

So is the NEC 5100A. I have my eye open for the Pioneer DVR-K05 (slot loading) or K15 (tray). My experience with Pioneer desktop drives has been positive although I’m not sure how this will translate to these slim drives, which seem to be crappy no matter who makes them. The 8X reading speeds are hardly ever achieved even with riplock removed. Right now most of these slim drives cost twice as much as their desktop counterparts and perform (at best) at half the speed. I can see paying twice as much for the miniaturization but the performance should at least approximate that of desktop drives. At this point it even isn’t close.

quality slim dvd burners are hard to find also slims gets hotter then regular , imho its best to get a regular+external enclosure or an external

If you say “its hard”, it’s still possible right? :smiley: …and I need a new slimline drive badly!! :rolleyes:
Got a LiteOn SDW-431S in my notebook (Acer TM 291LmI) and it worked fine… together with Plextor media (Taiyo Yuden) it was just a dream team…but now, it started to have big problems reading burned dvds, even the ones it had just made itself. :Z
Since there’s no warranty anymore, I’m looking for THE slimline-drive…(I decides NOT to buy an external one).
It’s not easy to research about slim line dvd-/+drives out there…I just got an idea about what there is…like Toshiba SD-R6572M, NEC ND-6650, NEC ND-6500, Toshiba SD-R6472, Pioneer DVR-K14L, etcetc. But which one is reliable? The LiteOn SDW-431S wasnt, though there were good reviews when it came out…

Tips are highly appreciated!!

[QUOTE=A_Forest]like Toshiba SD-R6572M, NEC ND-6650, NEC ND-6500, Toshiba SD-R6472, Pioneer DVR-K14L, etcetc.QUOTE]

all of these are not 9.5mm they are 12.7mm. i am looking for 9.5mm drives too and i cant find many. i have a faulty matshita uj812 at the moment…

I think its need “UJ-832S”

made of Panasonic(Matsushita)

Burn to CD-R media at maximum speeds of 24X (3.69 MB/Sec )
Burn to CD-RW media at maximum speeds of 16X
Burn to DVD-R and DVD+R media at maximum speeds of 4X (2.77 MB/Sec)
Burn to DVD-RW at 2X
Burn to DVD+RW media at maximum speeds of 2.4X (3.32 MB/Sec)
Burn to DVD-RAM at 3X
Burn to DVD+R DL at 2.4X

Ok, ready all. I have found the solution for the Lite-On SOSW-852S no read problem. Tilt your laptop! Can you believe it?! Here you go:

1. Insert DVD
  2. Raise the DVD-side of the machine to somewhere between 30 and 75 degrees
  3. Rocking between these degrees is optional, I have not determined whether the rocking helps
  4. Eject and repeat

I can usually get the drive to read a DVD in 5-15 minutes. Sucks, but at least I can play Oblivion.

hi together!

searching for such a burner too.

• it should have a good firmware support.
    wich one would you reccomend?

thanks!!

any thoughts?

thanks!!

Look at these Hitachi/LG models:

1. GSA-4080M 9.5mm, Slot in
  2. GWA-4080MA 9.5mm, Slot in
  3. GSA-4083N 9.5mm, Tray

Unfortunatly these seems to be waporware, at least in the EU.

These models are strange:
4. GCC-4242N Seems like both 9.5mm (Originally in Thinkpads T4X accordning to various thinkpad forums) and 12.7mm (google search)?
5. All panasonic 9.5mm (Stay away of them because of unsupported firmware).
6. Hp and IBM/Lenovo got few 9.5mm models but their price indicate use of heavy drugs at the Hp economy department.

Has anyone tried the Lite On ESAU208-1 drive?

I have tried the LiteOn ESAU208-31. It is great. I like the fact of being USB Powered even for the LightScribe feature since they say you need the AC Power connected for Lightscribe. I have burned several discs and they were burned successful. I even ran a DiscSpeed Scan and came with good results. However, the Disc Writing Speed as expected for a Slim Drive is somewhat slow. The disc burns at 2.4x at least for the first 15% (of a 4.36GB Disc), then it goes to 3.8x until 50% when it goes up to 5.7x and when it reach 83% it goes to full 8x. This is something usual for Slim Drives (my Optiarc AD-7561a does the same thing.) However, I must say I’m impressed with this drive even when I got a LiteOn DX-20A4H and an IHAP422. The eSAU208-31 (31 is the black model) is a must have for portability and performance.

[QUOTE=moisesmcardona;2408411]I have tried the LiteOn ESAU208-31. It is great. I like the fact of being USB Powered even for the LightScribe feature since they say you need the AC Power connected for Lightscribe. [/QUOTE]Bus powered USB drives do severely overload the USB port they are connected to. So, I strongly recommend to use the power supply unit that hopefully was shipped with the drive.

Michael

Hi guys !

What do you think about Sony AD-7910A or AD-7913A

http://www.sony-optiarc.eu/products/archive/dvddrivesnotebooks/ad7910a.html

http://www.sony-optiarc.eu/products/archive/dvddrivesnotebooks/ad7913a.html

Anyone who tested one of those?

I need one for my HP nc6400 , to day I use UJDA775 which is crap ! and same with my other UJ-852 , I don¨t know if those sony are any good?!

No comment? Can those 2 sony drive be so bad?

At least a real Optiarc drive. They provide software to change the master/slave setting if required. That is a bonus.

There is not much choice if you are looking for a 9.5mm Pata drive.

No comment? Can those 2 sony drive be so bad?
The user base is not that large that you can expect carefully elaborated answers within a few hours.

Michael