Best settings for movie only in BD Rebuilder

vbimport

I know, REALLY stupid question… But, for the life of me, I’ve been using BDRB like 1000+ times by now, but I almost always use the High Quality setting.

But, in this particular case, I have a Blu-ray that comes in at about 26 Gigs, so I want to use 2 pass and a few x264 tweaks (like I usually do, such as Tune film, for example) but with only about 3 1/2 Gigs to compress I don’t want to go all out with a 2 pass High Quality encode. Sooooo, NOW I guess I will have to show what an @ss I am and actually ASK what is the difference between these two settings that I almost NEVER use…?

The thing has always struck me as SO dang ambiguous because on one hand it calls one setting ‘Good’ which is very fast. Okay… Now it calls the next setting ‘Better’, which I would at first assume is a bit slower and thus ‘Better’, right? But then JDobbs throws in the comment 'Oh, but it happens to be “FASTER”! What the hell…? How can it be BOTH ‘Better’ and at the same time ‘Faster’…??? This has always confused the living heck outta me, so I just absolutely HAVE to come grovelling here to ask, sorry… :slight_smile:

Now, my first guess is that since the ‘Faster’ mode is in between the ‘Very fast’ and High Quality (slow) settings, that the ‘Faster’ mode SHOULD then logically be somewhat SLOWER than the Good ‘Very fast’ setting, making it indeed ‘Better’, right? But, then what the heck is it ‘Faster’ than…!!!

Will someone [B][I]PLEASE[/I][/B] put me out of my misery; I’m gonna hang myself for sure, I swear! :iagree:

Thanks!

The High-Speed option (BD 25+) is actually the fastest configuration available in BD Rebuilder, and consequently, the lowest visual quality.

The “Good/Very Fast” setting is slightly better visual quality compared to the High Speed option, but not quite as fast.

The “Better/Faster” setting is better visual quality than the Good setting, but is [B]faster than the default “High Quality”.[/B]

Many people think all this is splitting hairs, and find the High Speed option just fine for their backups. I personally prefer to make copies using the default High setting, since I have found it to be a good compromise on time spent encoding and an excellent picture. In playback, I cannot find any differences between my copies and the originals. I’m sure some slight errors do exist and can be found by examining the frames individually.

One of the complaints lodged against BD Rebuilder by video geeks is the fact that the exact X264 encoding parameters are not visible to the user, and you cannot be completely certain which elements are being changed as you go from Good to Better to High in the program. For those who demand complete control, I’d say use MeGUI to encode to Blu-ray compliant streams and use a Blu-ray authoring program instead. The good authoring programs aren’t free, but c’est la vie.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2735162]The High-Speed option (BD 25+) is actually the fastest configuration available in BD Rebuilder, and consequently, the lowest visual quality.

The “Good/Very Fast” setting is slightly better visual quality compared to the High Speed option, but not quite as fast.

The “Better/Faster” setting is better visual quality than the Good setting, but is [B]faster than the default “High Quality”.[/B]

Many people think all this is splitting hairs, and find the High Speed option just fine for their backups. I personally prefer to make copies using the default High setting, since I have found it to be a good compromise on time spent encoding and an excellent picture. In playback, I cannot find any differences between my copies and the originals. I’m sure some slight errors do exist and can be found by examining the frames individually.

One of the complaints lodged against BD Rebuilder by video geeks is the fact that the exact X264 encoding parameters are not visible to the user, and you cannot be completely certain which elements are being changed as you go from Good to Better to High in the program. For those who demand complete control, I’d say use MeGUI to encode to Blu-ray compliant streams and use a Blu-ray authoring program instead. The good authoring programs aren’t free, but c’est la vie.[/QUOTE]

Ahhhhhh, there we go! :slight_smile:

Thanks mate! That’s what I thought, but the wording is dang ambiguous, to say the least. Like you, I almost ALWAYS use the High Quality setting 2 pass WITH x264 tweaks enabled. I too was quite curious as to how x264 was being set according to the different settings. Primarily of course, since I use the High quality setting almost exclusively, I simply used mediaInfo, ‘Text’ mode and looked at the resulting x264 settings. I was quite surprised that even with the High Quality setting, that some of the x264 settings weren’t really that ‘High’. The Me and Subme settings seem fine (UMH and 8 which are sufficient) BUT… he doesn’t have it set to Tune–Film, no deblocking, and some of the other settings are a little low I feel.

So, that is why I add these ‘tweaks’ when doing a full out High Quality 2 pass encode: TWEAK_PASS_TWO=–deblock -1:-1 --psy-rd 1.00:0.20 --me umh --subme 8 --trellis 2 --direct auto --qcomp 0.50 --b-adapt 2. Because it gives the encode a bit of a ‘Film’ tuned bump with the deblocking and the Psy setting, not to mention the others.

But, like the whole reason I was asking you about the ‘Faster’ setting, was that in this case, I had an input file of what turns out to be about 24.5 Gigs; so, I figured since it really isn’t compressing that much, maybe this time I could go with the ‘Faster’ setting.

Thanks so much!

I have used the guide at the beginning and it is good.

Hi,

what does it mean by x264 tweaks enabled? how and where to enabled? pls advise.thanks