Best SATA scanner presently available?

My first use for this item would be for scanning DVD-ROMs. I’m looking for consistency above anything else.

I found it curious that there are few SATA burners on Newegg at the moment. What’s up? Big change over to Blu-Ray?

I would say LiteOn drives, but I noticed some ppl have started using Sony/Optiarc 7200 for scanning.

Thanks for the tip.

My application is a bit unique in that I’m trying to predict whether a disc will be readable across the general population of players out there.

This means I’m actually NOT looking for the bulletproof device that can “read anything”, because it would be telling me that there were no discs with any problems.

So the ideal scanner for me would be one that needed a pretty good disc / burn to get a clean scan, and would otherwise start objecting early when encountering scratches, smudges and the like.

I have a feeling that finding this mythical beast will involve trial and error …

Hi,[QUOTE=sorensen721;2306331]I would say LiteOn drives, but I noticed some ppl have started using Sony/Optiarc 7200 for scanning.[/QUOTE]Well, people who do own a Liteon will still use that drive for DVD scanning :wink:

[QUOTE=lasitter;2306381]
My application is a bit unique in that I’m trying to predict whether a disc will be readable across the general population of players out there.[/quote]Maybe a TRT done with a drive that is known as poor reader would be the better option for that purpose. This might be even an old DVD-ROM drive.
Scans are often not correlated to real-world behaviour :wink:

I have a feeling that finding this mythical beast will involve trial and error …
:iagree:

Michael