Best Recorder today for external Use?

vbimport

I’m researching the recorder market for a friend but I need one that can function as an external unit since it’s aimed at a laptop. Also it should be pretty decent at writing DVD-/+R DL format

Would you say i should look for one that is pre-packaged as an external drive from the factory, or get the best internal I can get and use it as an external via an eSata or USB2/3 connection?

At first, always get a unit with its own PSU.

As for the DIY vs. “buy ready-to-run”, in former days I might have voted for DIY, especially because of the price. Nowadays I am not so sure. The main advantage of a ready-to-run drive (from a known drive maker!, not from 3rd party like LaCie, Verbatim, whoever) is the absence of compatibility problems. My personal favourite is LG, but YMMV.
That is USB. 2.0 HiSpeed.

If you want eSata or USB 3.0, then you have to join an internal drive with an enclosure yourself.

Michael

I am only considering internal drive for the quality as i am looking for whats best, not for the price. I am not so sure that external drives can compete quality wise with internal units. Dont know if things have changed but back on the plextor/pioneer days thats what used to be true.

Besides all theoretical stuff, does anyone know which drive is good and reliable nowadays?

[QUOTE=therock003;2619841]I am only considering internal drive for the quality as i am looking for whats best, not for the price. I am not so sure that external drives can compete quality wise with internal units.[/QUOTE]The drive hardware is the same. The difference is the firmware which is (hopefully) optimized to work with the add-on USB/Sata converter.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2619799]If you want eSata or USB 3.0, then you have to join an internal drive with an enclosure yourself.[/QUOTE]This is not entirely correct. Recent LG external Blu-ray burners do come with an eSATA port in addition to USB 2.0.

If you just want a quick and dirty solution, one of these slim type drives that is USB-powered is sufficient. But if you want speed and better write quality, your best bet is a larger drive with its own PSU.

Slim types arethe ones used on laptops and these are the worst. After a while they’are unable to even read discs. At least that’s my experience with whatever slim-type drive i has ever been on any of my laptops. Anyway, i dont really care for eSata or any speicific connector, i just want a reliable brand. Do you guys have anything in mind that comes as an external drive. Sony, LG, or Samsung?

From my experience, eSATA is always better than usb when it comes to such externals.
USB always suffers from their useless power management. Even Firewire is better than usb.

Apart from that, seems that the Samsung is working good.

I’d go for an external Sony burner, especially if it’s an Optiarc as Optiarcs can do CD and DVD quality scans and the write quality is very good.

Does that count for the BD external slimtype burner from Sony/Optiarc??

As a sidenote, the BD bruner from Sony can only burn BD-R TL, not QL, whoever needs it.

[QUOTE=kg_evilboy;2619958]This is not entirely correct. Recent LG external Blu-ray burners do come with an eSATA port in addition to USB 2.0.[/quote]Okay. Didn’t know that - I haven’t followed the Bluray market.

If you just want a quick and dirty solution, one of these slim type drives that is USB-powered is sufficient.
No. These toy are not made to comply with USB specs, so they aren’t designed to work reliably. add 10 Euro, and you get a half height drive. Or invest the money into beer.

Michael