Best Program To Convert MKV to DVD

vbimport

I am looking to convert a mkv file to DVD. More specifically a blue-ray rip (not xvid format) to standard DVD format (VOB files - not mpeg2). I am not interested in “one-click applications”. I want something that will produce the best quality DVD possible. I’ve tried “The FilmMachine” and “FAVC” using codecs such as CCE, Procoder and HCEnc. The end result is a great looking picture but the audio is always out of sync. Very frustrating. The one common factor is that I used the “aften” audio encoder. Would the out of sync problems be related to the audio codec? I am looking for quality - speed is not an issue - if it takes several hours to convert/encode/reencode (not sure of the correct term) that’s fine. It doesn’t matter if suggested applications are freeware or commercial. Thanks for taking the time to read my question.

FYI, a standard DVD vob contains mpeg2 video stream…I know you don’t want ‘[I]1-clickers[/I]’, but give ConvertxtoDVD a try or AVStoDVD, DVDflick, SVCD2DVD…Or the original source should work out nicely…

If you still have the dvd video that is out of sync, you could try this guide to correct the synchronization problem without re-encoding: http://forum.videohelp.com/topic374348.html

You could also try AVStoDVD as t0nee1 suggested. You could even set it to output as separate audio and video streams, then build your dvd in another dvd authoring program, like DVDLab Pro, or Womble Easy DVD.

Another way to correct audio/video sync problems is to use the QuickStream fix tool in VideoRedo TV Suite, or the Mpeg Gop Fixer tool in Womble Mpeg Wizard DVD.

I’ve been playing with this conversion amongst others and if you want the manual route this is what I would suggest:

[U]Tools[/U]
[B]MKVtoolnix[/B] to demux the video and audio streams (subs if required)
[B]dgavcdec109[/B] to index the H264/AVC video and create .dga project
[B]eac3to[/B] (with [B]NeroAACDec[/B]) to convert AAC audio to 6-ch AC3 640kbps
[B]AviSynth[/B] to frameserve the dga project to HC
[B]HC Encoder[/B] to run 2-pass variable bit-rate encoding of dga project
[B]GUI for DVD Author[/B] to mux the video and audio and optional subs and author the DVD.

All the tools mentioned are free and can be found at Videohelp.

Sample Avisynth script:

loadplugin("D:\avtools\dgavcdec109\DGAVCDecode.dll")
AVCSource("my film.dga")
LanczosResize(720,406)
AddBorders(0, 85, 0, 85, $000000)

I’ve never had any problems with audio sync using this method, unless the source audio was out of sync to start with.

Slainte

midders

Thanks to everyone who responded. First off I just wanted to say I realize a VOB is essentially an mpeg2 file. It’s just that some programs will convert it to an mpg2 for authoring purposes and this is not what I was looking for. I exclusively use ConvertXtoDVD for all my DVD conversions - mostly my xvid to DVD conversions as I don’t own a standalone DVD/ xvid/divx player. ConvertxtoDVD does a great job converting my xvids. But I was looking to convert a Blu-ray rip to DVD. I wanted to take advantage of the quality of the blu-ray rip and convert it to the highest quality DVD I can achieve. Correct me if I’m wrong but wouldn’t a blu-ray rip (down)converted to a DVD (using the best possible method) look and sound better than an xvid (up)converted to a DVD? Currently, I still own an “old school” (CRT) TV so basically all video conversions look good.

I’ve read that when viewing videos converted with programs such as ConvertXtoDVD on high def televisions such as LCDs or plasmas … etc the quality is acceptable, maybe even good.

It boils down to this … I’ve got my 4.3GB blu-ray rip (mkv) file and want to convert it to a DVD. Do I:
(a) use ConvertXtoDVD
(b) look to use most probably several programs and with much more effort convert it using codecs such as CCE?

Will the final result be the same?

Hopefully I’ve clarified matters here (or maybe beating a dead horse is more accurate?)

There is no doubt that you will get bettter quality by using a true video encoder (CCE, HC, QuEnc) rather than a transcoder (ConvertX etc.) at the cost of greater processing time. AFAIK CCE gives the best quality, but is not free; HC may be a bit slower but I would challenge anyone to tell the difference in results.

However, since you’re down-sizing your video, you will be hard-pushed to tell the difference between ConvertX and CCE results; the difference is much more pronounced when scaling up.

If you want to keep as much quality as possible then set your target size to DVD9 and use videohelp’s bitrate calculator to set your average and maxiumum bitrate’s in your chosen encoder (I recommend HC using HCGUI).

Slainte

midders

As noted above, using a true encoder(e.g. HCenc, CCE etc. will/should provide better quality…The higher the quality source the better the output results…Remember, trash in trash out…That said, beauty/quality is in the eyes and ears of the beholder…