Best Profile for DVD digital archives?

Hello, what would the best profile be to (h264.aac mp4) create digital backups/archives of your DVD collection? The intention would be to capture as much of the quality as possible for playback on a Windows PC and/or large screen 1080p HDTV. What resolution should I shoot for?

I have been playing with Handbrake and its PS3 profile outputs widescreen at 844x472, which looks pretty good. I think the highest res I have seen in any of the DVDFab profiles is 7x4.

Standard def DVD res is 720 x 480. Anything higher than this would be considered upscaling.

With that said, unlike many other programs, DVDFab handles screen resolution for you, and trying to change it will reault in nothing but heart ach and you posting another message here.

Get your bit rate at or above .4 and use 2 pass for the best quality.

[quote=buzzin1999;2218122]Hello, what would the best profile be to (h264.aac mp4) create digital backups/archives of your DVD collection? The intention would be to capture as much of the quality as possible for playback on a Windows PC and/or large screen 1080p HDTV. What resolution should I shoot for?

I have been playing with Handbrake and its PS3 profile outputs widescreen at 844x472, which looks pretty good. I think the highest res I have seen in any of the DVDFab profiles is 7x4.[/quote]Quite a few have sizes well into the 800s, but again, you’re better off letting the TV/player do the upscaling on the fly. This is all subjective and depends too on how much disc space you want to devote to this and how many movies you want to be able to store. The best quality is the original VOB file, but you can come pretty close and still save some drive space with large, high bitrate H264. The Generic H264+AAC has more screen size options than many of the others that produce that format, try it.

thanks, i’ll try the generic h264. do you agree about making the bit rate at least .4? i guess if normal dvds are 720x480, that explains why i get a lot of 720x400 outputs when i let dvdfab do its own selection and autocropping. i think its just cropping the 80 as widescreen bars…

Yes, I agree. Make the bitrate as high as you can stand on the output file size. Cropping will concentrate the encoding to the active video.