Best printer to print on printable cds and able to Refill

Hi what would u guys suggest be the best printer to get to print on dvds? It has to be one i can refill the ink my self and not like the cannon who uses chiped ink carts so u cant refill them. And if all possable use only the 3 basic refill colors Red Blue and Yellow to refill with. I know some printers uses like 5 colors and black

there is no problem refilling canon chipped cartridges, i use an ip 4200 to print dvds, the ip4300, ip4500 and the MP 530 are great printers for what you are looking for, you will need to buy a print tray for about $20.00 for either printer

Hi do they use 3 ink colors or 5? i notice that the canons have like 5 ink carts all its own color.

I read u couldnt rfill chiped carts cause once it runs out the printer will think the carts empty even after refilled

is there something speical u got to do to refill them?

The Canon Pixma ip5200 I have came with the print-tray when I got it, although this printer has been since superseded. I’m not sure if the current ip4600 includes the tray, but the descriptions I’ve come across don’t mention it’s optional.

The Pixma ip4200 to ip4500 and ip5200 to ip5300 all use CLI-8 cartridges, which can be refilled. The printer uses two blacks (one pigment based and dye based) and three colour (magenta, yellow & cyan dye based). You can refill them and press the “Resume” button each time the printer reports the cartridge as empty. After a few times doing this, a warning message will appear about using refilled cartridges. This can be overcome by pressing the ‘Feed’ button for 5 seconds when this message appears and after this no more warnings will appear for the cartridge. The only drawback is that the printer will not report how much ink is left in the refilled cartridge(s), so you’ll need to keep an eye on them every now & again (e.g. every 100 to 200 prints) and top any up that appear low. The cartridges are transparent.

Note that the new ip4600 uses CLI-521 series cartridges. These have a lower capacity to the cli-8 cartridges (9ml vs 13ml for colours), so if you decide on a Canon Pixma, I would recommend getting one that takes the CLI-8 cartridges to avoid having to refill them as often. From what I’ve read, the newer printers that takes these can also have their ink-empty warnings disabled in the same way as with the printers that take the CLI-8’s.

try to get an ip4200, 4300 or 4500 as the 4600 has smaller cartridges, you can get a resetter to reset the chip on the cartridges for around 25.00, newegg has reconditioned printers very reasonable, all the above have a cd tray available to print cds/dvds. for more information on refilling inkjets check this site,

also these printers are no longer in production and they will be very difficult to find soon.

So i will probly get this one then http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828102343 seems like a good deal and do u guys think thats the best one to get for its price on this site or should i get another from this list http://promotions.newegg.com/Printers/030409/index.html?nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL032009&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL032009--MECH--EB3A-_-Canon

And lastly the magenta, yellow & cyan dye based refills ink are not the same as u would get at walmart and staples?

[QUOTE=urrbodyh8sme;2243307]So i will probly get this one then http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828102343 seems like a good deal and do u guys think thats the best one to get for its price on this site or should i get another from this list http://promotions.newegg.com/Printers/030409/index.html?nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL032009&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL032009--MECH--EB3A-_-Canon

And lastly the magenta, yellow & cyan dye based refills ink are not the same as u would get at walmart and staples?[/QUOTE]

The 530 uses a 4-tanks system identical to the IP3500. The 810 uses a 5-tank system identical to the IP4500. If you do mainly photos and discs, the 810 would be preferable do the use of dye-based ink for photo black.

Either of those models needs to be modded for disc printing, and a disc tray will be needed cause it’s not included.

And I’ll add that using generic inks from WalMart or Staples is not a great idea. There plenty of sources online for good compatible inks.

i agree with cdan, either printer is good, there is no such thing as universal ink, go to hobbicolors and order a refill kit you will get everything you need for about 30.00 and it should last a year or so, remember when using inkjets, the ink acts as a cooling agent in the printhead as long as there is ink in the cartridges the printhead will be fine, once you try to print with an empty cartridge you burn out the printhead they are about 60.00 to replace but you should never have to replace one if you keep ink in the cartridges

[QUOTE=CDan;2243341]needs to be modded for disc printing, and a disc tray will be needed cause it’s not included.[/QUOTE]

Modded ? how do u mod a printer? and yeah i was going to buy the tray off ebay but theres more to it then just buying a cd printer tray?

and i have been useing walmart ink in my hp printer for about 3 years now i bought of bunch when it was on cleance. Not sure if its dye based or not

when you buy the tray there will directions how to “mod” the printer, instructions for the printer to activate the cd print option not a big deal, but don’t use hp ink in a canon.

On the Canon models I’ve used with disc printing, the tray is only put in when printing on a disc. The tray has a spindle clip where an 8cm or 12cm disc is placed on. On my printer, the front cover is opened and the tray is pushed into place and printing is started. Once the disc is printed, the tray lifts out and the disc can be removed from it. It’s very straight forward (at least on my Canon Pixma ip5200) and doesn’t require the paper trays to be emptied. :wink:

From what I’ve read, the printer only needs to be modded if the Canon model wasn’t sold as being able to print on discs. Any canon model that states it’s CD/DVD capable can take the tray without any modification.

ok then this one it is Canon PIXMA MP530 i will get this one and try to find the tray on ebay. What are some good places to buy printable dvds like Verb brand? i know my local stores dont have these

From what I’ve read on user reviews, the US version of the MP530 lacks the CD tray, where as the European version includes it. This is something I didn’t realise Canon was doing. However, according to a few reports I came across, with a type D tray and European drivers/software suite, you’ll get the labelling support. :wink:

I’m not sure if you’ve ordered from NewEgg before, but they carry Verbatim printable discs ($18 for Verbatim 50-pack 16x DVD-R, search ‘95078’ on NewEgg).

I’ve seen a few reports warning that using a CD tray on a model that didn’t come with it may invalidate the warranty, so if the printer gives trouble within the warranty period, make sure you don’t mention that you’ve used a CD tray in it.

[QUOTE=urrbodyh8sme;2244268]ok then this one it is Canon PIXMA MP530 i will get this one and try to find the tray on ebay. What are some good places to buy printable dvds like Verb brand? i know my local stores dont have these[/QUOTE]
Get your CD/DVD tray here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-PIXMA-MP500-MP530-MP800-MP830-CD-Printer-Tray-D_W0QQitemZ120396613789QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPrinter_Accessories?hash=item120396613789&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50
Tony is an excellent eBay seller.
There is a link within the above link that will clearly describe the steps you need to take to enable your printer to print disks.

You can watch for sales at the big-box office stores or Costco (locally) for Verbatim or Sony printable media but here is a good place anytime for high quality media:
http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

as long as you are going to print on dvds you might as well get the hub printable dvds, where the printable area is closer to the center than on a regular cd or dvd a regular disc has a center area of about 50mm that you can not print on, a hub printable has an area of about 23mm

one last thing i was wondering what are the tops of the printable cd/dvds made of? is it a paper Matt top that u print on or glossy or something?

I i will centerly get that tray for sure from annocjr off ebay

[QUOTE=urrbodyh8sme;2244416]one last thing i was wondering what are the tops of the printable cd/dvds made of? is it a paper Matt top that u print on or glossy or something?

I i will centerly get that tray for sure from annocjr off ebay[/QUOTE]

It’s a coating, like the coatings on photo papers.

one other consideration, after you print onto a disc place the disc on a piece of regular copy paper and spray a couple light coats of hair spray to seal the ink

Ok got my cannon mp530 today and i was suprized how big and heavy it is. It looks very confuseing to use at that. Im going to wait till i get my cd tray before trying to use this also i was wonder what software do u use to tell the printer to print on the tray? like with the lables i just use the express suite program.

cd label print is the software that comes with the tray i believe, if you were using paper labels before, put a label on a “coaster” and practice that way first