Best Printer to Print on DVD

I am looking for suggestions on the best printer to use to print the label on a DVD. I want a printer where I can put the DVD directly into the printer and it does the rest. I don’t want any sticky peel offs.

I want one that does color and your not limited to just a few colors.

This is just for personal use so I don’t need professional quality but I would like for it to look good.

I also don’t want to have to replace the color cartridge every 10 DVD labels I make.

I thought this would be a great place to ask since I am sure people on this forum have something they use for their labels. I am just getting tired of using Sharpies.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome P1Tom, try doing search ‘printers’ . You should get plenty of threads like this.

pretty sure you don’t have much of a choice if you’re in the US. The only option is the Epson R series.

either that or you can manually hack a Canon to do it. I think it has to do with patent laws…right now in the US Epson is the only company that has this feature.

lots of people have complained about the durability of the disc tray, but those are easily replaceable when they break from what I hear.

as zeb suggested, do a search. there’s plenty of info available on the different R series models.

If you were in Australia, I would recommend the Canon “Pixma” 3000/4000 series as they come with a insert tray to print directly on disks. My Pixma does a fantastic job with its simple-to-use cd label software. Currently the Pixma 3000/4000 series has been replaced by newer models in Oz. Perhaps you can find one on Ebay…only problem is voltage…USA is 110 volts, Oz is 240 volts, so you’ll need to get a step-down transformer or get a techie who knows how to alter the voltage…might be a “too-hard-basket” job.

If you were in Australia, I would recommend the Canon “Pixma” 3000/4000 series as they come with an insert tray to print directly on disks. My Pixma does a fantastic job with its simple-to-use cd label software. Currently the Pixma 3000/4000 series has been replaced by newer models in Oz. Perhaps you can find one on Ebay…only problem is voltage…USA is 110 volts, Oz is 240 volts, so you’ll need to get a step-down transformer or get a techie who knows how to alter the voltage…might be a “too-hard-basket” job.

I use Canon Ip5000 and the Ip 6600 both do an exellent job, new printer cartridges can be expensive for the 6600 though always used canon ink and dry pretty much straight away, however don`t get them wet as they will run unless you coat them with a sealant.

sean

Not to be funny everyone but zebadee is corret there are plenty of threads on this matter, and until there is a sudden change in printer models there is no need to go through it again. zeb has osted a link with the search results and that is enough info as they cover a number of printers in each thread.

Thanks for all the help. I didn’t realize that Epson was the only one who had that feature.

Didn´t know the Canons had a problem with the law in the US - you sure about that? I use an ip5000 here in Germany and it does a great job.

I use a Epson Stylus PHOTO R280. It works great. I have a continuous ink system for my printer. Saves tons of money on ink and I don’t have to refill it for months.

I wish some company would make a printer that prints two cds/dvds at once. I produce and print my own dvds and find that the printing really holds up my production time. I have a 1 to 11 duplication tower which is kind of useless because the printing slows the whole process up. I can’t see spending $1200 for one of the printers that has some silly arm doing the moving of the cd. So far… I have not found a printer that will print two cds at once. If this was to happen… they would have a booming market!

Matt

Welcome to CDfreaks/MyCE.com Nixcreations :flower:

I have the R340 with a CIS and love it. I also have a R280 in the box yet as I thought my R340 was dying lol

Do you Print any Taiyo Yuden Watershield’s on the R280?

[QUOTE=Nixcreations;2455041]I use a Epson Stylus PHOTO R280. It works great. I have a continuous ink system for my printer. Saves tons of money on ink and I don’t have to refill it for months.

I wish some company would make a printer that prints two cds/dvds at once. I produce and print my own dvds and find that the printing really holds up my production time. I have a 1 to 11 duplication tower which is kind of useless because the printing slows the whole process up. I can’t see spending $1200 for one of the printers that has some silly arm doing the moving of the cd. So far… I have not found a printer that will print two cds at once. If this was to happen… they would have a booming market!

Matt[/QUOTE]

I personally use ProDiscs. I got my CIS on Ebay. I just wish printing in general was faster.

[QUOTE=Nixcreations;2455041]

I wish some company would make a printer that prints two cds/dvds at once. I produce and print my own dvds and find that the printing really holds up my production time.

I found an Epson printer called Discproducer that can print up to 100 discs at a time, somewhat faster production time than even 2 at a time eh? :smiley:

Hope this helps you or others in their quest for humble home production with efficacy.

http://www.epson.co.uk/Discproducer/Epson-PP-100-Discproducer

You are missing my point. When I say print 2 discs at once… I mean just that. I have a Epson Photo R280 that prints one at a time. It is almost big enough to possibly print two 2 cds at one time. Epson should make a printer that prints 2 cds vs just one. I don’t want an expensive electric arm printer… it is just as slow. That kind of printer is only good for replacing me switching them out. It only speeds up printing by replacing you. A 2 cd printer would cut time in half by physically printing 2 cds at once.

I have an Epson R-1900 (and R1800) they can print 13x19 on paper, if someone at Epson was smart, they could easily make a tray to print 6 or 8 at a time.

Kirk

I’ve heard of guys modding older Epsons to become flatbed printers. This may be worth looking into for those of us who are handy at that sort of thing.

K3,

Thanks for the answer, I will look into that printer. I don’t know what country you are from but CIS systems are definitely not illegal in the USA. I am sure that Epson hates them because they can no longer make a fortune on inks, but they are not illegal. They would surely void the guarantee if Epson could prove you used one.

Kirk

For myself and my first media printer I eventually bought refillable carts that came with enough high quality ink to refill them about 4 times for about 100 or less shipped. That’s for a R200 Epson and so far the ink and carts look better then the factory ones did and the things auto reset when the ink runs low so the printer doesn’t stop working, you just top up the empty cart and keep going.
IF I did a LOT of printing I’d probably do a CIS system as well but the R200 now gets rarely used as I have a R800 and a OLD HP 990 that I use for my normal non disk and photo printing as it still has some of the best quality prints I’ve seen on normal cheap paper. I do need to find carts for the R800 like the ones for the R200 and one of the members gave me a few places to check on but no budget left for ink for it for now as it takes 8 carts and even with a refillable or CIS solution it will be a bit of money.

Canon makes such a printer, and recommended by CNET.