Best Printer For DVD's & Cd's

vbimport

So I was under the assumption for the last few years that Epson was the only manufacturer that had CD/DVD printing capabilities. I bought an Espon Stylus Photo R280 in May and Epson has had to replace it four times. Im getting really tired of having my printer go bad every two months. For some reason the cyan print head keeps clogging. I had the same problem once with the yellow printhead as well. Im using a CIS system for the printer as well. So now that Ive lost two more printers this month. One for a head clog and another one just keeps banging the carriage on the right side and then the ink and paper feed butoons just flash red. I dont know if its just bad ink from the CIS? I did drain out all my reservoirs today and it did seem like there was a bunch of gook at the bottom of a few of the bottles. The cyan was the worst. It even dyed the clear container cyan. So my question is what do people think the best CD/DVD printer is that is compatable with CIS systems. And what is the best CIS system to buy? I bought the last CIS system from printonadime.com. I dont think Ill but from the again. Im looking at ones that are available at www.inksupply.com or www.rihac.com. I do like the ones that Rihac offers because all the bottles are connected and they tell you how much their ink is filtered to supposedly to prevent clogging whereas Ink Supply doesnt mention anything about the quality of their inks. Ive searched a ton of sites but cant seem to find much info on what manufacturers make printers that print on DVD/CD’s that you can find CIS systems for. I do have a brand new Epson R280 that I picked up just because Ive been having soooo many problems with them. So if there is something that is better than the Epson products I can avoid buying a CIS that will only be compatable with the R280. Any help is greatly appreciated.

As far as the “best” printer, that’s highly subjective. I’m currently using an Epson 1400. I bought a CIS system to go with it, but I’m going to wait until my original cartridges run dry before installing it.

The print heads clogging up can only be prevented by constant use (at least once per day). You have to push some ink through the print head in some manner. Cleaning the print head is huge waste of ink.

There is at least one command line utility available (I think you can download it from “Print-On-A-Dime”, that lets you print an image that exercises all of the cartridges, but I think it’s almost as wasteful as cleaning is where ink is concerned, not to mention paper. That’s why I’ve come up with my own “AutoPrint” utility that prints much smaller images and allows either command line use, or the use of a GUI to do one-time prints. It also allows you to re-use the same sheet of paper up to 140 times (front + back), depending on how many colors you want to exercise. It also works for any printer (not just ink jets) that you have installed. I have a HP L7580 (a color all-in-one) as well, and it works fine.

I have a couple of more things to add to it before making it available, and will make an announcement here when it’s ready.

Sounds interesting, I can’t wait :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=jsimmons3;2187062]As far as the “best” printer, that’s highly subjective. I’m currently using an Epson 1400. I bought a CIS system to go with it, but I’m going to wait until my original cartridges run dry before installing it.

The print heads clogging up can only be prevented by constant use (at least once per day). You have to push some ink through the print head in some manner. Cleaning the print head is huge waste of ink.

There is at least one command line utility available (I think you can download it from “Print-On-A-Dime”, that lets you print an image that exercises all of the cartridges, but I think it’s almost as wasteful as cleaning is where ink is concerned, not to mention paper. That’s why I’ve come up with my own “AutoPrint” utility that prints much smaller images and allows either command line use, or the use of a GUI to do one-time prints. It also allows you to re-use the same sheet of paper up to 140 times (front + back), depending on how many colors you want to exercise. It also works for any printer (not just ink jets) that you have installed. I have a HP L7580 (a color all-in-one) as well, and it works fine.

I have a couple of more things to add to it before making it available, and will make an announcement here when it’s ready.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;2187129]Sounds interesting, I can’t wait :)[/QUOTE]ditto :slight_smile:

Also interested in this utility, thanks.