Best portable to drive to store videos compatible with Final Cut Pro?

vbimport

I’ll be learning Final Cut over the next several months. I will need to store videos that I can take to the studio to edit them using Final Cut. I was told to be sure its 7200 rpm drives and that size matters. Any recomendations?

Sure, for a simple plug and go solution the Cavalry CAXM Series 1TB 7200RPM 32MB Cache USB / eSATA External Hard Drive is a good choice.

Thanks for the reply, other studio producers recommended a more pricey one for the long haul:
http://www.tekserve.com/store/383/Portable_Hard_Drives/-2899

Well the only good thing about that particular model is that it has the firewire connection, does your laptop have firewire or a eSata connection?

That $300 unit is only worth $80, I would not buy it.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2507205]Well the only good thing about that particular model is that it has the firewire connection, does your laptop have firewire or a eSata connection?

That $300 unit is only worth $80, I would not buy it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, my Mac has firewire. The drive is also 7200 rpm and lightweight. Where can I buy it for $80 or what brand would you recommend? - I was advised by Final Cut users to have 7200 rpm & firewire [400 or 800 I forget, maybe both].

Thanks for the alert.

If it were me I would do this:

Get the SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA hard drive, and put it in the Rosewill RX82-MP-SUF82-BLK Aluminum 2.5" Black USB 2.0 & 1394bx2 External Enclosure. For $140 you will have 1TB of storage and one of the fastest HDD’s on the market right now and it has the latest firewire spec on the enclosure. This will be way faster than that outdated drive they were suggesting.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2507218]If it were me I would do this:

Get the SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA hard drive, and put it in the Rosewill RX82-MP-SUF82-BLK Aluminum 2.5" Black USB 2.0 & 1394bx2 External Enclosure. For $140 you will have 1TB of storage and one of the fastest HDD’s on the market right now and it has the latest firewire spec on the enclosure. This will be way faster than that outdated drive they were suggesting.[/QUOTE]

I like it!
Question: The FormFactor on the Samsung external drive is listed as 3.5". But the enclosure supports 2.5". What am I missing?

Good eye! :bigsmile:

This one has high marks: ICY DOCK MB559UEB-1SMB Aluminum body w/ partial plastic 3.5" Mirror Black USB 2.0 & 1394b External Enclosure

Sadly, I have to return the two items back to Newegg.
The ICY Dock enclosure required removing screws holding a protective joint but the screws were in so tight I couldn’t unscrewed them. Any stronger attempt would likely damage the unit/

And even if I could use that enclosure it ws totally unclear how it would work with the Samsung HDD. The Samsung docs were so poor I would have had to ex[experiment how to place in the enclosure. I couldn’t see how that enclosure would connect to the HDD.

I’m going with this one instead:
http://www.jr.com/gtech/pe/GTC_GD4750/

And fyi NewE\gg is charging me a $24 restocking fee and I used their shipping label for another $1\3. And the shipping label was suppose to be emailed to me but tht takes 2 to 3 business days ??? Just bad service by NewEgg in shipping me a defective ICY DOCK. Maybe the HDD was ok, but looks look it was designed to work inside a desktop chassis. Lots of time spinning my wheels here.

Ahh, you should have chimmed in, we probably could have helped.

There are reviews on line that will show you what to do, also its good to read the newegg reviews if you get stuck.

Youtube video ICY DOCK MB559 Series

hardwareheaven review

Their are a lot of others just have to google for them.

I would recommend a WD Black drive, they are very darn fast. Any enclosure for the drive will just about do.

ie: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284