Best playback software for a slow pc

vbimport

Hi Cd-Freaks,

I’ve got the following Problem: When I try to wach a DVD movie on my AMD K6 II 500 Mhz but it falters…

I’m searching for the best dvd software player which can play a movie as perfect as possible on my slow old AMD.

Can anybody help me?

Greets & Thanks,
Andy

PS: Sorry for my bad english

Intervideo’s Power DVD version 4 isn’t resource hungry. Perhaps that’s an option ? (If you can find it though)

I tried it with powerdvd xp 5.0. It didn’t work very well… I don’t know but there must me a simple player-sw with only the most important features I think…

When I try to wach it with media player of win xp it works fine… But the mediaplayer app crashes very soon…

Greets,
ND

Perhaps you should try GeeXBoX then :bigsmile:

Looks nice… I’ve generated an ISO Image and I’ll try it out :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Snody
Looks nice… I’ve generated an ISO Image and I’ll try it out :slight_smile:

I have just tested GeeXBoX on a P3 machine in combination with a VideoCD. It’works GREAT :bow:

This distro has an amazingly fast boot time :eek: :bow:

Gonna try it with dvd playback this evening.

I never heared of such a software but it sounds very cool and usefull…

As always: Linux really rocks the lamest ass… grin

Greets,
Andy

PS: I’ll give you a feedback how it works on my AMD K6 500

DVD Playback on a Pentium Celeron 950 (overclocked) works excellent. I’ve tried a region free dvd , a region 2 dvd and a regon 1 dvd with RCE protection. All three run like a charm on my computer.

The only drawback is that the dvd player goes straight to the movie , no menu’s or possibility to show the menu.

I’ve tried it out on my AMD K6 II 500. It works fine… The boot time isn’t really fast but everything works.

Another little thing which isn’t really perfect is that you can’t select manualy on which dvd rom the movie is… (i’ve got a dvd-burner and dvd-rom).

Greets and Thanks,
Andy

any ideas how that would work for an avi file? im looking for something that would help my p2 400 serve as an avi player.

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]I have just tested GeeXBoX on a P3 machine in combination with a VideoCD. It’works GREAT :bow:

This distro has an amazingly fast boot time :eek: :bow:

Gonna try it with dvd playback this evening. [/B]
My P3 has never give playback (DVD/(S)VCD) problems with any software .

Originally posted by ckin2001
any ideas how that would work for an avi file? im looking for something that would help my p2 400 serve as an avi player.

Winamp5 has greatly increased load time and lower cpu utilization than crappy 3.x versions. Try and see, just load the old skin, not modern, otherwise it will lag more.

Originally posted by ckin2001

I’ve tested GeeXBox with an Divx .avi with subtitles (.srt file). Works like a charm.

I can suggest GeeXbox too…

Thanks @ Mr. Belvedere