Best PC spec to use/get

vbimport

Guys, I have posted a similar question regarding encoding rates on PC’s. the answers did not really help. When converting say DVD to IPOD, I would actually like to continue using the PC for other things, like checking mail, surfing the net etc etc. When encoding at present, my PC does not allow any of this to happen as the encoding takes up all the CPU useage.

So, what specs are out there, that will allw me to continue doing things on a PC.

The author or others must have some specs on what toye of PC’s would be best suited.

I am in the hunt for a new PC, any ideas would be most useful.

Cage

Hello, Cage123.
Dunno if anyone else agrees with me on this point, but I really prefer to let DVDFab get on with it, and no outside distractions at all.
As far as specs go, my machine is home-built with a 2300Mhz AMD cpu, and nothing fancier than that, except for a 6yo external burner.
Only takes about 35 minutes to copy a dvd, which is no time at all.
Guess I’ve not been too much help to you. See you later, then. Jim :slight_smile:

Probably won’t help you much but you might dedicate your old PC to converting movies for the IPOD and get a new one for surfing the web and such. Network them together so you can easily transfer files back and forth.

I can do the things that you’re looking for but I also have a 3.2 Gig Pentium D EE w/2 GB of pc3200 and a 300 GB SATA hdd @7200 rpm w/16 MB of cache and 1.5 Gb/s transfer.

OS = XP media centre

I can surf and do other things such as record TV using the PVR features at the same time as I decode and burn.

It takes about 20 minutes to complete the process of decoding/ authoring a “full disc” DVD.

Also note that I burn at 6X’s even tho I have a 16X’s DVD writer so that twenty minute can be reduced significantly.

Minimum requirements to run DVDFAB Platinum is:

System Requirements
Windows Vista/XP/2000/98/ME
Pentium II 500 MHz
256 MB of RAM
10 GB of Free Hard Disk Space
A DVD-R(W) or DVD+R(W) Drive

I would not think about backing up movies with just the minimum. I would have no less than a GB of ram and 50GB of HD that has been defraged and registry cleaned. I would also at least double the processor speed then determine the resources that you need to run the other programs that you want to run. Add some to that number and add the two together. It is the spikes in resources that will cause problems. There is no way to answer you except to guess. I would recommend that you buy the fasted system that you can afford.

I built one to just back up DVDs and have it on a home network, but that’s me.

Mack