Best PC Security and Registry Fix?--Very Limited Budget

vbimport

:slight_smile:
Hello and Greetings,
I am in search of the best options for securing my HP G60-235DX which has Windows Vista Home Premium. Currently, I am running PC Tools Spyware Doctor and Registry Mechanic (subsciptions are about to expire), Lavasoft [B]Ad-Aware /B, Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (free), and Speedy PC; I have used Avast, Norton, and McAfee in the past. Also, I have Secunia PSI running in the background. I have the usual activity of Facebook, Yahoo!, MySpace and the Internet in general. I run Nero 9 Multimedia Suite for audio and video production. My main issues are with the registry. Registry Mechanic always finds a certain error-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FilesExts\OpenWith , while Speedy PC always misses it.
What would be the best security system(s)–anti-spyware, virus, etc.-- to lock up my PC tighter than a drum? Also, what can I do or use to alleviate jmy registry issues? I have a very, very limited budget.
Thank you,
Eric Holtz

Microsoft has released a very good antivirus program called Microsoft Security Essentials. It is free to download and use. http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

As a general rule, I find most people with registry issues are those who screw around with it. I am not a big believer in registry cleaners except for very specific problems.

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit

:)Thank you for the replies; I’ll give Microsoft Essentials a try. Since I have registry issues and I have never screwed around with it, why do I still get–
[B]HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FilesExts\OpenWith[/B], and also–
[B]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search\Gather\Windows\SystemIndex[/B]? I have also just recently began experiencing the ‘blue screen’ upon boot and signing in–there is no accompanying ‘error code’. As I have stated, I haven’t messed with a thing, other than to install the programs. Thank you for your time.

You might give ERUNT a try .Use the NTREGOPT that comes with it.(NTREGOPT is available seperately but you should backup your registry with ERUNT first anyway.)

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
I can’t quarantee it will fix the problem but I have used it a long time with no problems .

:confused:I haven’t been able get [B]Windows Essentials[/B] security on my computer. As soon as I go to the link (or get there via search engine), I recieve a [B]Silverlight Configuration.exe[/B] prompt, which freezes up the PC, requiring rebooting (3 times so far). While everything was locked up, it did allow me to run a [U]Spyware Doctor[/U] and [U]Registry Mechanic[/U] scan though. What’s up with this Silverlight Conf. and why can I not even open up [B]Windows Support[/B]? Thanks again.

[QUOTE=Eric Holtz;2543304]:confused:I haven’t been able get [B]Windows Essentials[/B] security on my computer. As soon as I go to the link (or get there via search engine), I recieve a [B]Silverlight Configuration.exe[/B] prompt, which freezes up the PC, requiring rebooting (3 times so far). While everything was locked up, it did allow me to run a [U]Spyware Doctor[/U] and [U]Registry Mechanic[/U] scan though. What’s up with this Silverlight Conf. and why can I not even open up [B]Windows Support[/B]? Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

Not sure why you receive the Silverlight Configuration.exe message I just used the link Kerry provided and had no problem, do you have Silverlight installed ?

While I was there I did download the installer it is for 32 bit system which can be sent viva e-mail if one had an e-mail address however posting a e-mail address in forum is not advisable :wink:

As soon as the Windows Essentials window opens, the [B]Silverlight Configuration.exe[/B] window opens on top and cannot be closed. Everything is frozen and the PC has to be shut down. Yes, Microsoft Silverlight is installed. Why do I now have a blue screen with no error code? All of these problems seem to have started after I installed [B]WinRAR[/B] and the [B]Hot Button[/B] toolbar, which was required to get the [B]WinRAR[/B] for free. I have since removed the toolbar, as was an option after installing [B]WinRAR[/B]. Is there something to look for that may be running in the background and screwing everything up?

It is possible you’ve hosed the system. Try going to a restore point prior to the installation of WinRAR.

Try uninstalling WinRAR . See if the problem stops. You can always reinstall it.

I like 7-Zip . You might give it a try instead of WinRAR .

I use Avira free for my antivirus & Malwarebytes for my spyware. I’m satisfied with them but everyone has thier own opinion of what’s best.

I didn’t have to install any toolbar when I got or installed winrar :confused: when ever I install a program and have an option to install a toolbar I never do.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2543445]I didn’t have to install any toolbar when I got or installed winrar :confused: when ever I install a program and have an option to install a toolbar I never do.[/QUOTE]
Ditto on that.
I installed a couple when I was a newbie & found out that installing a toolbar with a software was never in my best interest.
BTW I have WinRAR on my old XP computer if I ever need it.

:iagree:Another Free software that can be downloaded from CNET.COM is “Glary Utilities” Free addition. It will correct registry problems , start-up prob.,clean up temp files and is very user friendly.If you wish you can get the PRO version for free by taking advantage of on of the items listed. The only difference I see,in the 2 is the paid version allows for setting up the utility to run at your selected time. I find it very easy to just run it manually about once a week, or if you notice. erratic behaver on you PC.

[QUOTE=Eric Holtz;2543429]Why do I now have a blue screen with no error code?

All of these problems seem to have started after I installed [B]WinRAR[/B] and the [B]Hot Button[/B] toolbar, which was required to get the [B]WinRAR[/B] for free.

I have since removed the toolbar, as was an option after installing [B]WinRAR[/B].

Is there something to look for that may be running in the background and screwing everything up?[/QUOTE] I guess so.