Best PC laptops

I am looking around at PC laptops, I would love to get a Mac Book Pro one, but they are just too expensive for me right now.

I need one with resonable power, that I could do some photo & video editing, I know it cant do what a desktop can do, but would like some power.

I talked to some people about varoius brands, & they told me Toshiba, Fujitsu, & Lenovo were good ones & to stay away from HP, Compac etc.

I would like to to stay under US$ 700.00 for my budget.

also I was told the other day when I went into offce depot, that my microsoft Office XP version 2002 disks that came with my older dell would not work with windows vista & that I would have to upgrade to office 2007. I walked away from a Toshiba with a core 2 duo at US $600.00, when I was faced with another US$ 200.00 dollars for offce 2007.

I need a text program for my online college classes I am taking, I need to be able to make .doc,.doctx. & .rtf documents with the ability to adjust
margins etc.

so will my older office XP 2002 work with versions of windows vista? & can they be installed on more than one PC? or is office locked into only one computer?

Have you ever tried Openoffice.org its free an does just about everything that MS office does. You can download it an give it a try. I checked and it does rtf and doc files, but not the other one, there’s probably a way to do it though.

Here’s two laptops, first one has a bigger screen and better resolution. The second one has a more powerful cpu and gpu, but the screen resolution is a bit less and the screen a bit smaller. Also the HDD is a bit bigger on the Acer and has a HDMI output.
TOSHIBA Satellite L555D-S7910 NoteBook AMD Turion X2 RM-74
Acer Aspire AS6530-5753 NoteBook AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-82

Hard to say which one I’d get. I guess people don’t expect to get super high resolution LCD displays when getting a laptop so I would probably go with the Acer. To get a hi-res monitor on a laptop would go in the $1100+ range.

Looks pretty sweet for the money :slight_smile:
//Danne

[QUOTE=eric93se;2307975]Have you ever tried Openoffice.org its free an does just about everything that MS office does. You can download it an give it a try. I checked and it does rtf and doc files, but not the other one, there’s probably a way to do it though.

Here’s two laptops, first one has a bigger screen and better resolution. The second one has a more powerful cpu and gpu, but the screen resolution is a bit less and the screen a bit smaller. Also the HDD is a bit bigger on the Acer and has a HDMI output.
TOSHIBA Satellite L555D-S7910 NoteBook AMD Turion X2 RM-74
Acer Aspire AS6530-5753 NoteBook AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-82

Hard to say which one I’d get. I guess people don’t expect to get super high resolution LCD displays when getting a laptop so I would probably go with the Acer. To get a hi-res monitor on a laptop would go in the $1100+ range.[/QUOTE]

are the AMD turions fast? would it be fast enough to edit video? high def or standard def? would it wourk for photography? for what I do, what would be the minimal amount of RAM I could go with without major slowdowns?

I see some laptops with intel core 2 duos, is there a big difference in performance between these & the AMD turions?

are HP laptops good? or is toshiba & other brands better?

are there any brands I should stay away from?

They’re all “cheap” so you wont notice much difference. I personally would go for Intel C2D and ATi graphics based on my earlier experiences.
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2308509]They’re all “cheap” so you wont notice much difference. I personally would go for Intel C2D and ATi graphics based on my earlier experiences.
//Danne[/QUOTE]

what brands do you think are best? are there any I should avoid? are hp laptops good?

If you’re in the US, here’s a deal from Costco that comes with MS Office Home and Student installed and licensed.
Yeah, onboard video, but a good deal considering the Office suite purchased separately would run $120US
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11482410&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US
There is also a Dell on special at Costco that comes with the MS Office suite as well.

@ Sossity

They’re all pretty much the same, any larger brand should be fine although I wouldn’t touch Acer/Packard Bell even with a 10 inch stick…
//Danne

I have this: Acer Aspire AS6530-5753 NoteBook AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-82, nice keyboard and display; HDMI and eSATA lots of good hardware for the $650 it cost me. Two HDDs in it 500Gb and 320Gb. 16" looks bigger as it is 16:9.
I also have a 15.4" Acer Aspire and a Aspire One, all have been fine.
I had a MSI and a Dell and quicky sold them.
After 5 hp printers died I don’t buy any hp product.
MS office 2002 works fine my with Vista laptops.
I don’t Packard Bell sells Laptops in the USA.
My next laoptop my be a Toshiba or Asus 17" or a quad core when they come out.
IMO white laptops look cheap