Best output for Archos 604 *AND* XBMC on PC?

Hi Everyone,

I recently started using DVDFab and it’s great. I am hoping to get some feedback on “best practices” for ripping my kid’s DVD to a hard drive in order to create a media library for them.

I have a PC running XBMC (link) connected to my HTDV (52", 1080p). I also have an Archos 604 (link) that I take in the car and output to two headrest monitors.

Currently I am ripping the DVD to .iso first and storing the .iso on the PC. Then I am ripping the .iso to Xvid/mp3 for the Archos. The Archos 604 without add-ins only supports a few basic video formats.

Is .iso the best choice for the PC?

If I don’t create an .iso and just rip to Xvid/mp3 for both the PC and the Archos, what am I giving up?

Is there a way for DVDFab to create the .iso and the Xvid file in one process? A macro perhaps?

Thanks!

[QUOTE=howierd;2290466]Hi Everyone,

I recently started using DVDFab and it’s great. I am hoping to get some feedback on “best practices” for ripping my kid’s DVD to a hard drive in order to create a media library for them.

I have a PC running XBMC (link) connected to my HTDV (52", 1080p). I also have an Archos 604 (link) that I take in the car and output to two headrest monitors.

Currently I am ripping the DVD to .iso first and storing the .iso on the PC. Then I am ripping the .iso to Xvid/mp3 for the Archos. The Archos 604 without add-ins only supports a few basic video formats.

Is .iso the best choice for the PC?[/QUOTE]I store mine just as VIDEO_TS folders, not as disc images. Files are slightly smaller, slightly faster to create, easier to use with many players (not a problem for your XBMC though) and 3rd party software for editing or manipulating subtitles or audio.

If I don’t create an .iso and just rip to Xvid/mp3 for both the PC and the Archos, what am I giving up?
You are giving up the video quality of the original DVDs.

Is there a way for DVDFab to create the .iso and the Xvid file in one process? A macro perhaps?
Sorry, no. Two entirely different types of process.

If you had the podcast plugin for the Archos you could make H264 MP4 files which are smaller for a given level of video quality. All this being said, if these are for kids DVDs it really doesn’t matter so much about the quality. The xvid/MP3 profile works well and processes very quickly in DVD to Mobile. Welcome to the DVDFab user community.

Thanks signals. I like the idea of using the VIDEO_TS folder. I’ll give it a try.