Best new sata drive for scratched/bad media

vbimport

Hi im looking to get a new dvd burner and would like to know what drives are generally regarded as being good at reading bad/scratched media.

I know this has been asked before but it seems the disscussions are a bit dated and with older drives that arent being manufactured any more. Ive also read that you cant rely on any one model being good as they can vary. Id just like to know what people have and if there any good.

I currently have a nec 3xxx some thing (not too sure) ide drive and it’s not the best with scratched media.

Thanks

Hia and welcome maxd123.

Samsung drives are considered the best drives for that job.
Keep in mind that even a good drive cant make miracles when it come to really bad media or heavily scratched cd/dvd’s.

I second Vroom’s welcome and his recommendation. :slight_smile:

Got two SATA Samsung drives myself (plus an IDE and an external Sammy), and they’re all excellent readers/rippers. :iagree:

Thanks for the welcome and the advice :slight_smile:

Will give a sammy a go then.

I looked up some prices and was surprised with how cheap all dvdr drives are now. I payed more than 10x for my first 4x burner :slight_smile:

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

I still remember my first (2x) CD-RW drive, paid 3 figures for it! Was a bit late to DVD burning, my first was an 8x LiteOn - even that was about £50-£55 more than they cost these days, though. How times change!

[QUOTE=Arachne;2528619]You’re welcome :slight_smile:

I still remember my first (2x) CD-RW drive, paid 3 figures for it! Was a bit late to DVD burning, my first was an 8x LiteOn - even that was about £50-£55 more than they cost these days, though. How times change![/QUOTE]

How about blu-ray?

[QUOTE=vroom;2528621]How about blu-ray?[/QUOTE]

When I get around to it ;)…probably when it’s on the verge of being obsolete, knowing me. :bigsmile:

//off topic start//
For me it’s already obsolete, especially with all this media player out there why someone would go out and buy a BD-RW?
//off topic end//

I’ll go blueray if anything intersting happens with ps3’s but apart from that im going hdd now. I have way to many disc’s lying around as it is.

Picked up my samsung today, only $28aus , it’s a sh-s223 and now ive found my 2nd cheapest at the time motherboard has no spare sata slots :frowning: might have to get another mb

Are there any firmware updates that will make the drive better or should i just leave it as is?

[QUOTE=vroom;2528818]//off topic start//
For me it’s already obsolete, especially with all this media player out there why someone would go out and buy a BD-RW?
//off topic end//[/QUOTE]

For VIDEO it’s obsolete… for data backup bd has the potential to be quite a revolution… 8.5gb dl’s vs 50gb bd dl is quite an advantage… and may not be cost effective yet (or the discs/tech ready for mass adoption ) for data storage… but that day is coming sooner rather than later.

[QUOTE=maxd123;2528991]I’ll go blueray if anything intersting happens with ps3’s but apart from that im going hdd now. I have way to many disc’s lying around as it is.

Picked up my samsung today, only $28aus , it’s a sh-s223 and now ive found my 2nd cheapest at the time motherboard has no spare sata slots :frowning: might have to get another mb

Are there any firmware updates that will make the drive better or should i just leave it as is?[/QUOTE]

Yup, HDD (and DVD media) for me as well, at least for the forseeable future. :)…wouldn’t mind picking up a couple of SSDs at some point though drool.

I have the 223 as well, I have the SB03 firmware on it - it’s advisable to update to that revision at least (there is a Sticky about it in our Samsung DVD Writer sub-forum). What firmware does your Sammy currently have - if you can’t plug the drive in to find out, it should say on the sticker on the drive itself. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Linky to Samsung firmware announcement here.

Although opinions on this Sammy drive model are mixed, I personally have had no problem with mine, it does what I need it to do both reading/ripping-wise, and burning-wise. As a bonus, it also seems to do well with burning mediocre quality media. :wink:

An SATA add-in card might be a cheaper option for you than a new mobo, although you may like to gather more opinions on what one to get, as some add-on card chipsets don’t play well with SATA optical drives.

My Samsung SH-S223L is a great reader. Once I removed the rip lock it reads DVD’s as fast as any Lite-On I have or have seen. Between myself and several friends we have close to a dozen Samsung 20x/22x drives. We all love them. In my personal experience Lite-On drives that use the mediatek chipset will read scratched media better than most if not all drives including the Samsung drives. The better Samsung drives will read most anything fast and write to any half way decent media with quality results. I wish my Samsung drive could do media scanning, oh well. BTW my ASUS DRW-24B1ST’s aka Lite-On clones are dam good readers and supports media scanning.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2529033]Yup, HDD (and DVD media) for me as well, at least for the forseeable future. :)…wouldn’t mind picking up a couple of SSDs at some point though drool.

I have the 223 as well, I have the SB03 firmware on it - it’s advisable to update to that revision at least (there is a Sticky about it in our Samsung DVD Writer sub-forum). What firmware does your Sammy currently have - if you can’t plug the drive in to find out, it should say on the sticker on the drive itself. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Linky to Samsung firmware announcement here.

Although opinions on this Sammy drive model are mixed, I personally have had no problem with mine, it does what I need it to do both reading/ripping-wise, and burning-wise. As a bonus, it also seems to do well with burning mediocre quality media. :wink:

An SATA add-in card might be a cheaper option for you than a new mobo, although you may like to gather more opinions on what one to get, as some add-on card chipsets don’t play well with SATA optical drives.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that, it has that version of the the firmware already then.

I thought about an add on card but i only have 1 pci slot and it taken my a tv tuner. I have also had a hard time with ide cards in the past so id rather not go down that route again. Im also getting hdmi optical out more usb ports and a few other nice extras that my current board doesnt have it’s also only $80 for the asus mb im looking at with 6 sata over the 4 (inc 1 broken plug) that i have now.

I also figure with the price and size of hdd’s now that a 1 tb hdd is about teh same if not cheaper than the same amount of space in dl blanks. And the way hdd’s increase in size over time my multiple hdd’s will fit on one hdd soon and it’s alot easier to transfer (when the price is right).

Ive been looking into htpc’s a bit and ssd’s are great for these, no noise low power quick booting and you can just stream from cheap pc’s like ive got with the noisey hdd’s and fans elsewhere in the house :slight_smile:

Im going to be buying hdd’s not spindles from now on :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=wonderwrench;2529174]My Samsung SH-S223L is a great reader. Once I removed the rip lock it reads DVD’s as fast as any Lite-On I have or have seen. Between myself and several friends we have close to a dozen Samsung 20x/22x drives. We all love them. In my personal experience Lite-On drives that use the mediatek chipset will read scratched media better than most if not all drives including the Samsung drives. The better Samsung drives will read most anything fast and write to any half way decent media with quality results. I wish my Samsung drive could do media scanning, oh well. BTW my ASUS DRW-24B1ST’s aka Lite-On clones are dam good readers and supports media scanning.[/QUOTE]

I looked at the hitachi-lg drives after reading some post on here, problem was the prices on ebay for 2nd handers was 3 times that of a new sammy. Dam them and their chipsets being so good and able to read wii games :slight_smile:

Sounds like a new mobo might be the way to go then, especially if you have one already in mind :iagree:

As for LG drives - I love them dearly, especially the Renesas chipset ones - as with the Sammy drives, I’m a bit of an LG girl too. But while I’ve found LG drives to be very well built and robust, and for the most part excellent DVD burners, they are somewhat fussy with media quality, and the ones I own aren’t as good at reading dodgy media as say, Sammy or LiteOn.

@wonderwrench - that’s a lot of Sammies :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2529324]Sounds like a new mobo might be the way to go then, especially if you have one already in mind :iagree:

As for LG drives - I love them dearly, especially the Renesas chipset ones - as with the Sammy drives, I’m a bit of an LG girl too. But while I’ve found LG drives to be very well built and robust, and for the most part excellent DVD burners, they are somewhat fussy with media quality, and the ones I own aren’t as good at reading dodgy media as say, Sammy or LiteOn.

@wonderwrench - that’s a lot of Sammies :)[/QUOTE]

I have a Microcenter close by and they seem to always have sammies in stock. So when a new rig is built or a replacement drive is needed its Sammy to the rescue!