Best Most Reliable 120-128Gb SSD Currently Available?

vbimport

Yo all-

I am sincerely looking at buying a strong/reliable 120-128Gb SSD in the next few weeks.

Speed/Price are far less important than Rock Solid Reliability.

Your thoughts will really be appreciated.

TIA

Yo-

Well the first seven hours of searches have produced the Intel X25-M G2 Postville - Intel 510 and Crucial M4 as strong contenders. The Intel 510 and M4 are SATAIII compatible. The Intel 510 comes with a five year warranty and the others have three year warranties.

Both Intel’s are priced within pennies of each other and the M4 is about $50 cheaper.

Again - any opinions or help will be sincerely appreciated.

All I can say is.
All the drives I have reviewed, and there have been a few, are all still working and have been 100% reliable.

I believe you have H67 Mike?
If so, then it makes sense to get a SATAIII SSD.

Intel just released a new SATA option ROM to their motherboard partners. I’m testing it now on the AsRock Z68 Extreme 4 (version 10.6.0.1091) and it seems a lot more stable than the previous release, so hopefully that sorts that side of things out.

Nothing can touch the SandForce SF-2281 SSDs for speed, and my own Vertex 3 240GB is completely stable, now…
The Marvell based SATAIII SSDs are also pretty fast. I’ve tested the Plextor, and I’m now in the process of testing the Intel 510 120GB, and it seems pretty fast and stable.

Avoid the Intel 320 series for the moment, as a pretty serious bug has been uncovered, although this could be related to the LPM issue on P67/Z68/H67 that I covered in the OCZ Vertex 3 review.

[QUOTE=Dee;2596460]All I can say is… Avoid the Intel 320 series for the moment, as a pretty serious bug has been uncovered, although this could be related to the LPM issue on P67/Z68/H67 that I covered in the OCZ Vertex 3 review.[/QUOTE]

I was going to ask if this new Intel sata rom sw corrects the 320 issue, sounds like not :doh:

Whenever we recommend the SandForce drives we should probably preface with the affect on performance of incompressible data. If you’re heavily working with video, for example, the performance will not reach optimum levels. Probably a minor point for all put the most esoteric users - right?

You’ve had good luck with SandForce? I have one drive that is “ok” but frankly the Egg reviews have me spooked. Is it just a case of the squeaky wheels screaming over the silence of those smoothly running? I’d sure like to get a better picture of that.

Thanks for the input, appreciated!

Private note - the 302, even without the power fail corruption, seems a bit of a disappointment. Am I the only one that feels this way? Also, I’ve heard of OCZ Revo drive owners that are very happy, but folks who are lost by OCZ fw that can’t update a booted disk - many don’t have multi-boot disk setups or USB drives that are bootable… So seriously a mixed bag from OCZ right now.

Dee: “my own Vertex 3 240GB is completely stable, now…”

That wording intrigues me. Was it a fw update, a bios change, an RMA? It sounds like you had to do something, that was successful, to get the V3 where you wanted it. Inquiring minds and such… :slight_smile:

Yo Wendy-

Thank you for the Intel 320 warning - that is really a valid concern to any prospective buyer.

At this point (because of the H97/SATA 3 feature of my mobo) - I am down to deciding between the Intel 510 and the Crucial M4 - with the 510 looking better all the time.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Mike - props to your CIO or whoever! The Kingston has to be a kick in the pants.

Please someone give real-life experience with the 320 or Wildfire i am really desperate before dropping $600+ on a raid 0 of these dudes…

Raid0 and Single SSD intel X25-M G2 or Intel 510 Series
( I never have any F.W update X25-M G2 - and it never slow down )

Single SSD AHCI mode OCZ brand Vertex or Agility ( very easy to update F.W )
( but it isn’t good for Raid 0 because too many update F.W )

Crucial RealSSD C300 and New M4 series = difficult update F.W

btw -I should mention that previous to SSD my bulk storage has been a pair of velocirpatos in raid0, so I’ve been intimately aware of system bottlenecks. The more info - the better, My goal is to build an “open” (literally) system that works at ~5GZ silently. It will have no defined “case”. I’ll share the components and design documents with those that request it…

Thank you, Burnsama, I praise you as an early adopter Ninja.

Speaking for the world - we would love to hear about your experiences with these devices… In particular how each of Intel, OCZ, and Crucial treated your systems. I fully understand if this is too private, and I apologize for the questions.

Yo-

The Intel X25-M G2 Postville 160Gb is shown by users to be a super reliable SSD - though not nearly as fast as the Intel 510…3 year warranty vs. 5 year warranty

Decisions - decisions

omg

1. i got a reply with an answer that meant a person took their superior intellect on the subject, and time, to format the reply into a form everyone could understand.
  2. the reply included Latin, in context I might add.

I think I’ll just go nite nite at this point. As, so very rarely, the world just became a better place.

thinking about 3years later from today
SSD will much [B]cheaper[/B] and faster bigger size

[QUOTE=Burnsama;2596544]thinking about 3years later from today
SSD will much [B]cheaper[/B] and faster bigger size[/QUOTE]

The only thing that worries me about this is OCZ marketing. They changed to 25nm flash without modifying the model number. On CPU’s it would be seen as a ridiculous marketing loss, but in this case it decreased OCZ’s reputation - as the smaller flash has LOWER retention - a serious change, They accommodated for this with larger reserved area - but that meant parts with the same model number had different capacities, Aside from the “fail” at reporting true capacity, it totally screwed up people trying to raid with slightly newer drives with the same model number (but with lower real capacities).

Yo-

Both the Intel X25-M G2 and the Intel 510 still use the 34nm chips - a definite plus-eh.

(Farmington Hills and Bloomfield Hills are two of my most liked hoods in MI)

I would also like to hear from anyone who has used the m4. I won’t say anything one way or the other (to taint an opinion), Actually, opinions from any Sata III SSD drive users would be helpful to the community. I can’t speak for anyone but myself - but I will report anyone who denigrates a persons character - regardless of their viewpoint.

[QUOTE=Burnsama;2596536]Raid0 and Single SSD intel X25-M G2 or Intel 510 Series
( I never have any F.W update X25-M G2 - and it never slow down )

Single SSD AHCI mode OCZ brand Vertex or Agility ( very easy to update F.W )
( but it isn’t good for Raid 0 because too many update F.W )

Crucial RealSSD C300 and New M4 series = difficult update F.W[/QUOTE]

The [B]M4[/B] has an easy firmware update, burn the file into a cd-r/rw, switch the settings in the bios from ahci to ide, boot from cd, flash the drive, reboot and go back to ahci mode and you are done.

Yo-

Well it turns out that the Intel 510 only has a three year warranty - same as the X25-M G2.

So - after an exhaustive search - I found a Brand New - Unopened - In The Box - Intel X25-M 160Gb G2 Postville for only $264 from a well referenced site and pulled the trigger.

Should have it by the end of next week.

I want to thank everyone for their super input.

[QUOTE=damage75;2596559]…I can’t speak for anyone but myself - but I will report anyone who denigrates a persons character - regardless of their viewpoint.[/QUOTE]

Yo damage75-

Whatever in the world prompted that in this thread-eh?? :confused:

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2596573]Yo-

Well it turns out that the Intel 510 only has a three year warranty - same as the X25-M G2.

So - after an exhaustive search - I found a Brand New - Unopened - In The Box - Intel X25-M 160Gb G2 Postville for only $264 from a well referenced site and pulled the trigger.

Should have it by the end of next week.

I want to thank everyone for their super input.[/QUOTE]
Yo Mike:
If we live long enough we might just see this: