Best modern writer for burning CD-R and DVD-R (for old picky lasers)?

Hello everyone !

I recently wanted to go back to my childhood an started doing some retrogaming on Playstation 1 and 2.

Since most of my discs are seriously scratched, I got my hands on modchipped consoles and I’m trying to do the best burned discs since these console are really picky when it comes to read burned media.

I decided to buy a Lite-On Premium DVD Writer (firmware NV9U) as I tought it would be a really good drive but…

For CD-R, I use Verbatim DataLifePlus AZO 52x. I can only burn them at 16x, 24x and 32x. At 16x I get a lot of problems (Audio skipping and FMV Stutter like crazy). It seems the best is 32x but I still get a little audio skip here and there so I suppose the laser is still seriously stressed.

For DVD-R, I use Verbatim AZO 16x (MCC03RG20 made in Taiwan) but it constantly fail whathever the speed (6x,8x,12x,16x). I always end up with unreadable coasters with quality scan at 0 and PIE and PIF in crazy values (especially the last 30% of the disc). I don’t think the discs are bad since I can burn them fine in a older Samsung SH-S223F at 4x (but it’s starting to get serious problems with tray mecanism and CD-R burning does not seems that good.)

I’d like to replace it with a drive known for high CD-R quality (PSone is more important to me) but I have no idea what is the best current option. Do I have to go for a Pioneer Blu-Ray writer (despite I won’t burn any BR) ?

Here is some model I can get right now in Belgium:

DVD:

• Pioneer DVR-S21WBK
  • Asus DRW-24D5MT
  • Liteon IHAS124-14
  • Hitachi-LG GH24NSD5
  • Samsung SH-224GB

Blu-Ray:

• Asus BC-12D2HT
  • Asus BW-16D1HT
  • Pioneer BDR-212DBK

Thank you guys and sorry if my english is not perfect. Your help would be so great !

This is strange. The Premium should be very similar to the iHAS 124 F and should have OK-quality with MCC 03RG20, can´t remember any coasters with this combi. But the LiteOn can´t touch the writing-quality of the Pioneer BDR-series with this media.

The Pioneer DVR-S21WBK, Asus DRW-24D5MT are -depending on manufacturing date- the same als LG GH24NSDx

The Asus BD-R-drives are also rebadged LG-drives.

In case of DVD-writing I would recommend the Pioneer BDR-212DBK

But I very rarely use CD-R, I can´t recommend any actual drive for it. Maybe the Pioneer BDR-212DBK is still the best in this case, but how good it really is I don´t know.

Most/all actual DVD-writers have only a few CD-R-ATIP in the FW and burn most CD-Rs at a universal/standard-strategy, mostly 16x is the only possible speed.

Maybe some other user can help you but I guess the users with still use CD-R are have older drives for burning it

Thanks for the quick answer !

Ok, I was hoping maybe one of these few drive would be on par with modern BR writer when it comes to DVD/CD and save money but I will go for the Pioneer then !

Pioneer stopped making DVD-writers with the DVR-217 (which wasn´t good IMHO), all newer models are made by QSI or LG. None of them have a so big CD-R/DVD±R-table in the FW like original Pioneers have.

I wish you have luck with the Pioneer and your CD-Rs, the Pioneer should be or sure the best choice.