Best model of DVD recorder?

Looking to buy one, would like input on to which one would be the best one to get at this point in time. Can you use these to backup VCR tapes if it is a combo drive, or need the stand alone DVD?
Which if any are stereo/5.1?

thanks

Not quite sure what you mean by a “combo drive”.

Do you mean VHS player and DVD recorder in one unit?

I’ve seen them. Sure would SEEM to be the easiest solution.

I’ve personally not been a big fan of combo machines, tho’, since if one breaks you lose both while it’s being fixed.

Two separate units could also be used to copy VHS tapes to DVD.

It all depends on what you’re looking for.

I’ve had good experiences with my LiteOn 5005 doing just that.

I’ve also joined the ranks of LiteOn owners who’ve had the DVD drive in the thing suddenly quit after a few months, needing to be replaced.

Some haven’t had that happen, and I thought I was of their ranks until this week. :doh:

I’ll let others recommend machines since I’ve only owned the LiteOn brand, tho I have heard Panasonic makes a good machine.

Someone pointed me in the direction of a Panny forum…

If I find the URL I’ll post another reply here.

Someone pointed me in the direction of a Panny forum…

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106

You can navigate by just going up to the top of this page:
Club CD Freaks - Knowledge is Power > International Chat: Hardware related > DVD Recorder & Home Entertainment > Lite-On DVD Recorder and Player Forum

click on the DVD Recorder & …
http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89

thanks.
So I want a liteon, the 5005 would be better than the 5006 then, for the hack will work on the micro stuff right? or the 5001 would be a better choice?

Thanks again,

The hacks will work on either the 5005 or the 5006 (and some others, I guess), if you’re doing it with a slightly older firmware version. (LiteOn did something to the most recent upgrade software files, and now the hack we’d been using won’t work.)

As for the '05 vs, the '06, I’d thought the 5006 was the better choice, since the story was it had a stereo TV tuner, where the 5005 only had a mono tuner.

The thing is, it was then reported that a lot of people found their 5006 also had only a mono TV tuner.

From what I can see, the two machines are essentially identical. I’m not sure if there’s ANY difference between them at all, aside from a VERY slight difference in their look. (So similar, I can’t even tell you what’s different.)

My suggestion is that you aim for a machine that’s an “all write” machine, meaning it’ll handle both “-” and “+” DVD media.

Not all the LiteOns do that. Be choosey.

Also, I’m not saying you DO “want a LiteOn 500X” at all, since my 5005 DID fail after several months. I’m using an 5006 now, but someone on another forum just told me they’re on their third 5006 (repeated failings and returns/exchanges) in several months.

I’m now VERY unhappy with that news.

Supposedly you can replace the DVD drive in the 500X’s, and you get a machine that actually lasts. I’m about to try that with my '05, and if I do it right, I’ll likely then try it with my '06 before it decides to suddenly fail too.

A couple LiteOn owners have told me that instead of trying to replace the drive, I should just get a Panasonic! (But I’m stubborn. I’m going to try.)

There are also a couple new LiteOn models that I don’t think any of us in either of the LiteOn forums I visit know that much about.

Then again, supposedly there are people around who’ve had an '05 or '06 for a long time and NEVER had them fail.

Of course, I was one of them until last week…

As for the '05 vs, the '06, I’d thought the 5006 was the better choice, since the story was it had a stereo TV tuner, where the 5005 only had a mono tuner.
The thing is, it was then reported that a lot of people found their 5006 also had only a mono TV tuner.

the 5006 has some version of VcrPlus+ and mainbord is different from the 5005 so the firmware is not the same. If your not going to use VcrPlul+ go with the 5005.
No the newest models not much info yet but some reports that the hack may not work.