Best (?) method to backup episode discs?

What methods do folks out there use to backup episode-type DVD’s? (They usually have 4 episodes, total time about 3 hrs).

If CloneDVD or ShrinkDVD is used, there would need to be a fair bit of compression involved, with, I assume, a subsequent loss in quality. (But it would fit on one disc).

If the episodes are split over two DVD’s quality should be retained but presumably a new menu would have to be created for the second disc? (Or is it possible to duplicate the original menu structure on both discs?).

Any suggestions (relating to this topic, of course :bigsmile: ) would be appreciated.

Cheers.

If I don’ want compression, I use CloneDVD, copying the first 2 episodes together with menus on disc 1 and the second two episodes with menus on disc 2. Very simple.

Many thanks, Olli.
That’s what I wanted to hear - a simple solution :slight_smile: .

DVD Shrink 3.0 or later utilizing deep analysis will do an outstanding job and you will save yourself the hassle of changing discs in your standalone and if you use deep analysis the image quality will be great. You will notice no loss of quality. I have backed up the Sopranos using Shrink asd many as four episodes to one disc and they look great.

Originally posted by burke55
You will notice no loss of quality.

that’s a very subjective statement. i’ve seen macroblocking on dvds transcoded with dvdshrink (as well as other transcoders). it doesn’t happen all that often, but it still does.

I have just backed up THE OFFICE series 2, which has 6 episodes on 1 disc plus extras. DVDshrink wouldn`t even allow me to highlight deep analysis, but it still works perfect and close to the original.

MATT

I agree, AZImortal. I just did The Abyss - Special Edition. Movie only, just under 3 hrs, using ShrinkDVD (deep analysis) and burned with CloneDVD. I’ve only watched a bit of the beginning and there was an instance of blocking, but I can tolerate it if it doesn’t occur too often. Shorter movies have been fine.

Unfortunately, running my pc for 12-odd hours re-encoding with CCE is not an option (I used to do it making S-VCD’s and she-who-must-be-obeyed absolutely hates my pc running overnight - it’s a wee bit noisy :sad: ).

Well, I’ve just watched my back-up copy, and I’m impressed! The quality really is excellent. ( I’m used to working with broadcast quality signals, so I’ve developed the habit of looking past the content and at the quality - a quite annoying habit to have at times).

The couple of (minor) glitches I saw would not be noticed by most people who were simply watching the film.

Shrink and DVDclone really are very good.

Yea Shrink does a great job. I do believe as Az says one can probably find blocking with a great deal of effort but the effort is severe in that it is not readily apparent to 99.99 percent of us at a distance of 10 feet from a well calibrated display of say …57 inches. If you freeze a frame and magnify it and then compare to the original the macro-blocking becomes readily apparent but not seen or easlily noticed at the speed of normal frame rate scanned across ones display during every day viewing.

Why is it that dvd shrink doesn’t always give me the best possible result?
I backed up CSI( crime scene investigation) series 1. The 3rd dvd did not have the same good quality as the 2nd dvd. Both of dvds were compressed at 55% and i was amazed with 2nd dvds quality. Ok not perfect but good, as for the 3rd dvd much worst.(many dots on the backround). Could it be that i have scratched the original over the time that i own it? But both are in the same conditions… Anyway can someone please guide me how to use clone dvd after i have the final dvd at my hd.
I am used at nero in combination of shrink. I want to test clone dvd quality.

thanx.

Whatever you do, don’t use dvd2one to backup episode dvds, the quality is horrible with both constant and variable ratio. I’ve been having good luck with Nero recode 2.

Originally posted by burke55
Yea Shrink does a great job. I do believe as Az says one can probably find blocking with a great deal of effort but the effort is severe in that it is not readily apparent to 99.99 percent of us at a distance of 10 feet from a well calibrated display of say …57 inches. If you freeze a frame and magnify it and then compare to the original the macro-blocking becomes readily apparent but not seen or easlily noticed at the speed of normal frame rate scanned across ones display during every day viewing.

as u’ve already seen here, no magnification was necessary to see the results.

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but I like sharing. :slight_smile:

I used to do a lot of reauthoring with DVDLab and a bunch of other tools (DVDShrink, PgcEdit, TitleWriter, etc.) to backup my episode discs because I don’t want to compress them but I want some menus.

Then I discovered DVDRemake and I chucked all that crap. Now I only use DVDShrink when I’m ripping the main movie out of non-episode DVDs.

For episode discs, I just rip them to my hard drive with DVDDexxxxxer, then open them in DVDRemake. Every series is unique, but usually I just have to delete half the episodes, delete the menu buttons that refer to them, and export the project. Then I burn it! Easy!

Then I do the other “half.”

I also do some tinkering because I detest all the crap that precedes the content (trailers, ads, warnings, studio chest-beating, etc.) and because DVD authors are generally morons who can’t figure out to put a chapter right after a show’s stupid title sequence (which should’ve been cut out in the first place - like we enjoy watching that sequence every single time we watch an episode! Dumbasses.)

DVDRemake is WELL worth the money, especially now that it doesn’t crash every ten seconds. It has a low learning curve and does everything I need except rip , compress, and burn.

Now I just have four applications for authoring:

DVDRemake (used for almost everything)
DVDShrink (used only occasionally, and only for authoring not for shrinking! :slight_smile: )
DVD Copy Platinum (used rarely, only for shrinking)
DVD Fab (used rarely, only for splitting movies)

I just backed up 6 disc set of HBO series with CloneDVD. All playback great on my computer and a 7"screen dvd player/viewer. But on my stand-alone DVD player only 4 discs play and 2 discs read as “bad”. Any ideas as to problem? I re-burned 2 discs at slower speed, but still have problem.
Thanks,
J

Best way to retain the eposodic DVDs quality is to rip full to your harddrive with DVDD or AnyDVD ripper or RipIt4Me and then use DVDRebuilder/

I have been doing it that way and the resulting DVD5 discs looks basically like the original.

Hope that helps :wink:

You can use shrink and deep analysis only selecting main movie, or if that isn’t available clicking on all the main titles of the episodes in reauthor. Deep analysis takes forever but it seems to work fine. I do see blocking but not nearly as much if I didn’t use deep analysis. Then again I can see blocking on the original pressing. Also to give me lesser compression. I will sometimes if the beginning titles are very annoying after a few episodes go by. I will edit it them out untill the actual episode starts ( In reauthor mode clicking on the set start/end frames tab on the top right hand corner, left side). Leaving the first episode full. I will get rid of credits at the end also if there is any. This way you will need to select each individual episode instead of just the main title so you can edit each episode. I will then go into compression settings tab. Click on all the subtitles I won’t need. Click on all the audio I won’t need. That’s about it. If you can live with that you can can come out with a pretty smooth looking disc. I have also reauthored half of the episodes and got 100 percent video quality with shrink. That route though you have two disc’s if your using single layer. Just a thought.

DVD Shrink is still great with episodic DVD’s but, make sure you use Deep Analysis and AEC quality settings. To get best quality use a encoder with DVD Rebuilder.

It all depends on the average bitrate of the original to determine how much compression to use and the size of the display being watched. It is possible to use 50% compression in Shrink and still get great looking video on a big TV when the bitrate is high enough.

I did CSI discs at 55% compression and then in DVD Rebuilder and I cannot tell any difference.