Best method for identical DVD copy (Lite-On DH-20A4H)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On DH-20A4H. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I want to make the closest identical copy of a DVD. Should I rip as an ISO to HDD, then burn ripped ISO to blank media? So far, I have been using the VIDEO_TS file method. Just looking for the bare-bones method steps for best replica possible using a regular PC. Software suggestions welcomed, but not my primary concern. Thanks to all! So much great info here:clap:

Use anydvd with clonecd

CJ, Thanks so much for your response. I use both of those programs now. My intention was to get advise on the best method/steps to get best quality reproduction. I am not familiar with ISO useage and seems to be an identical image of the sourse DVD(but am unsure). So far, I have used the Video_TS copy method, but would like to learn if ripping the ISO and burning it is a better duplicate than Video_TS burning. Botttom line… looking for steps/method for closest reproduction to original for optimal backup of original, regardless of software. However, thank you for the software suggestions and that is very much appreciated. Sorry if my original guestion was vague or “wandering”, but I appreciate any advise anyone can offer for the method of file types to deal with when trying to achieve maximum quality of a burned backup. Again, thank you so much:D

Are you burning it to a blu-ray blank DVD?

If not then you will be nowhere near the quality of the original if your burning it to a DVD-5.

[QUOTE=GJ;2178320]Use anydvd with clonecd[/QUOTE]

I would agree with this combination comes close as you can to the original DVD itself. Yummy, I think here were referring to just DVD media not BD as you might not notice the OP drive is 20A4H unit like the one I own and it doesn’t do BD media. Just be sure to use DL, SL media depending on the size of image file of the original media will determine whether you use DL or SL media. ie if the media source is DL then use DL if vise versa is SL then use SL media. That just matching to the source.

an ISO file contains the Video_TS & Audio_TS folders. as long as your software supports both ISO and Video_TS there is really no advantage to either one.

ISO file is a container file system. its a virtual disc image. when burning the data there is no difference. as the software will convert the video_ts in ISO9660 file system.

[QUOTE=troy512;2188676]an ISO file contains the Video_TS & Audio_TS folders. as long as your software supports both ISO and Video_TS there is really no advantage to either one.

ISO file is a container file system. its a virtual disc image. when burning the data there is no difference. as the software will convert the video_ts in ISO9660 file system.[/QUOTE]

I usually use ImgBurn to rip the DVD to an ISO file using AnyDVD in the background. That way I can burn a DVD-9 or DVD-5 from the ISO at a later time using ImgBurn and this method yields an exact clone of the original. In fact, ImgBurn permits me to produce DL DVDs with seemless layer breaks. That it a big plus since I hate those annoying slight pauses which sometimes are in awkward places.

Using CloneCD with AnyDVD in the background is the next best method but the original layer pause (if any) remains.

Thanks for all of the advice. Seems lke most of us are using the same software. I suppose learning about layer breaks is my next quest because that is probbly one of two things I don’t yet understand how to use with ImgBurn program. Most of my burns are DL. ImgBurn asks me to be sure if my burner supports layer break before I use that feature, but can’t find that answer in the specs? Lite-On DH 20A 4H. I am also confused about the UDF selection. My blank Verbatim DVD+R DL display UDF 2.0 when I click on drive properties, but seems like ImgBurn, defaults to a different UDF selection and not sure if I should use the suggested/default, or, keep it at UDF 2.0? Any advice or links would be greatly appreciated.

If your still having that much problem with Imgburn your best opt to go and ask in the Imgburn forum. I know Imgburn does have the option to create disc to image file and that should be the way you go if you trying to going to use DL media. I have Imgburn on my computer but I use Anydvd with CloneCD or CloneDVD instead.

If you do a 1:1 DVD-9 copy, you rip it using AnyDVD’s Rip Image option and burn it using ImgBurn’s Write ISO option. If you want to shrink a DVD-9 to DVD-5, there are too many information you can find on the Internet.

Some really good responses. Sounds like if I rip directly to HDD, then layer break may not exist at that point? Then when burning to DL, with IsoBurn, I have a few selecected layer break points I can select from? I have CloneDVD and Roxio 10 that I can also burn with, but seems like layer break with those two are automatically selected. I will indeed turn to the ImgBurn forum for those details. On originals, which I know ar not “burned”, is there a layer break anyway. Thanks if anyone has any comments. Perhaps others will bebefit from my questions and so many useful suggestions from the one who have it figured out. Thanks!

Lightening UK! is the expert. My guess is layer break always exists. I also heard that not all DVD players support “seamless”. There are excellent FAQs/posts in ImgBurn’s forum that teach you how to select layer break.

[QUOTE=p200002;2192892]Lightening UK! is the expert. My guess is layer break always exists. I also heard that not all DVD players support “seamless”. There are excellent FAQs/posts in ImgBurn’s forum that teach you how to select layer break.[/QUOTE]

My three year old $70 panosonic dvd player supports seamless. I would guess that most players which recognize DVD+R DL do.

When creating an ISO Image with AnyDVD running in the background, ImgBurn enables me to view where the original layer break is.

When burning from the ISO to DVD+R DL the seamless box is checked by default and I select the original layer break. The resulting DVD does not exhibit any pause at all at the layer break.