Best medium for Sega CD?

Hi folks. This is my first post, but I have searched for an answer to my question with no results.

I am burning some old games for my Sega CD and having only limited success. For those that do not know, the Sega CD was an early '90s add-on for the Sega Genesis. As I said, I am trying to burn some games to CD-R media from .bin/.cue backups, but the games - which use a lot of Full Motion Video - will occasionally lock-up or skip during the video segments. The rest of the time they play perfectly.

I do not suspect the quality of the back-up files, nor do I think there is a problem with my CD drives. I have tried both an Optiarc/generic Samsung and a Sony burner, and I have tried three different burning programs: Nero, IMGBurn, and CDRWin (I think).

Using the Samsung burner at 16x speed with IMGBurn, I have managed to get the best copies of the games.

I have tried three brands of CD, all of them identified as CMC Magnetics.

Should I seek out a different (better?) make of CD-R? Does anyone have advice on how to make the best copies that are likely to work in a very old CD drive? Is there a particular CD-R make that works well for older CD drives with little or no error correction abilities?

Thank you,
Sean

Give some taiyo yuden cdrs a try.

disk juggler and Taiyo yuden cd-rs burnt at 4x :slight_smile: thats how id go about it same with any cd based sega console specifically the dreamcast and mega cd

Thanks guys!

I should have known the answer would be Taiyo Yuden. I’m going to try to find some Verbatim DataLife Plus at the local stores, but my girlfriend just bought a new printer with a CD tray. I think I will get some Taiyo Yuden printables online.

BTW, the Mega CD was called Sega CD in the U.S. market, so it should be exactly the same hardware.

I assume Disc Juggler is known to be the best burner for old console games? I’ve been having great luck with IMGBurn.

its just what i used to use it might not even be about any more but did well with accurate reads specially with autobooting dc backups etc

Seen as you said [QUOTE=scorron;2227885]Using the Samsung burner at 16x speed with IMGBurn, I have managed to get the best copies of the games.[/QUOTE] I would try the same again first just with the Yuden cdrs see how it comes out.

Thanks!

For reference, I found a cakebox of Memorex Black CDs in my room, checked one out with Nero’s Info Tool and it was a Ritek.

Burning the Ritek in my Samsung SH-S202J at 16x with IMGBurn produced flawless copies of the games that were giving me trouble.

I had read some bad things about Ritek, but they sure seem better than the CMC Magnetics crap. In any case, they work well with the Sega CD.

I think I will still invest in some Taiyo Yuden printable CD-Rs, but these work for now.

Okay, the Ritek Memorex Blacks are working perfectly in my Sega CD, but I still wanted something printable.

I went to Sams Club, bought 100 Verbatim Printable CD-Rs for $18. They are MII Moser Baers. They do NOT work in the Sega CD. I ave tried three different burners at every speed from 8x to 48x and they are worse than even the CMC Memorex in the Sega.

So, should I bother trying to buy some Taiyo Yudens online, or should I just buy Riteks since I [I]know [/I]those work?

its honestly up to you if uve found something that works stick with it in my opinion :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=scorron;2231780]Okay, the Ritek Memorex Blacks are working perfectly in my Sega CD, but I still wanted something printable.

I went to Sams Club, bought 100 Verbatim Printable CD-Rs for $18. They are MII Moser Baers. They do NOT work in the Sega CD. I ave tried three different burners at every speed from 8x to 48x and they are worse than even the CMC Memorex in the Sega.

So, should I bother trying to buy some Taiyo Yudens online, or should I just buy Riteks since I [I]know [/I]those work?[/QUOTE]Ritek make decent CDs - never had a problem with the few Riteks I’ve had - it’s in the DVD category, and specifically with models G04 and G05 where Ritek gets a well deserved keyboard-bashing from the guys here.
Again, MBI is a decent CD manufacturer, but they evidently don’t work great in everything.

Verbatim CDs are something of a mixed bag - they could be anything as Verbatim outsources most everything and their manufacturers are free to use their own technologies and MID codes - hence Verb CDs with Verbatim/Mitsubishi MID and AZO dye are rare, at least in the U.S.

For those reasons most here would recommend Taiyo Yuden CDs as a catch-all for both quality and compatibility.

In any case, us CD freaks are ill equipped to advise you on whether or not to use the Riteks or look for Taiyo Yudens - if you really want a printed surface great, go for it, we can give you web links to good online stores that sell TY, but if you’ve got the Riteks working, do you really need anything more?
That is totally personal preference.

If you decide you want Taiyo Yudens (I’m assuming you’re in the U.S.) Check out these stores:
Taiyo Yuden @RIMA

http://www.genesysdtp.com/

(The Watershield Glossy White CDs look the best)

Thanks Sean, good info!

The reason I want something pritable is because the Riteks I have are all-black Memorex. I can’t even write on them with a Sharpie, and I’ve heard labels are not good if I don’t want to burn them anew every year. Might as well buy some printables if I have to buy something else. I want to be able to take these out once a year and play, without worrying about degradation.

Yes, I live in the US and I might try GenesysDTP, thanks for the link. The really infuriating part is that I live right next to Washington D.C. where there are no less than 10 giant shopping malls within a dozen miles and a strip mall on every corner - and I STILL can’t find anyone selling quality CDs! I can’t even find Verbatim Datalife Plus here. Seems like nobody cares about CD-Rs anymore, so they just carry crap?

Anyway, thanks again. I wouldn’t be getting anywhere if not for the info on CDFreaks.