Best media for playback in Nakamichi?

vbimport

I have a Nakamichi CD-760 car CD player, and it seems to be very picky. I have tried nonam CDs (Ritek and Princo) and they all sound HORRIBLE (lots of jitter) no matter what speed I burn them at in my Plex 48X. I tried a Verbatim Datalifeplus AZO BLUE TECHNOLOGY and it worked PERFECT.

I read on other forums that CDs made in Taiwan are JUNK and only ones made in Japan are good. The ZAO BLUE I tested were made in Taiwan. Are there other CDs I should try? ANy recommendations? Anyone have experiance with a Nak?

Thx

Try TY (Fuji), they often work well with picky players.

Finding compatible media for a picky audio CD player is often a bit of black art. For example, my sister was visiting this past weekend and wanted me to back up some CD’s for use in her car’s Sony changer (~5 years old). I tried cyanine (Fuji/TY made in Japan), Super AZO (Verbatim DataLife Plus) and phthalocyanine (Maxell/Ritek made in Taiwan), burned in both my LiteOn LTR-48246S and my Yamaha CRW-3200EZ. They only thing the Sony player liked was the phthalocyanine burned by the Yamaha, despite the fact that all of the discs worked fine in all the other players I tested them in, all burned with very low C1 errors and no C2 errors (as tested in the LiteOn), and my previous most finicky player (a 15-year old Radio Shack/Realistic player) likes the Fuji/TY better than the Maxell/Ritek.

In the end, if you have a picky player you will just have to do some trial and error testing to find what it likes. There is no one brand of media and burner that all players like.

cfitz

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Try TY (Fuji), they often work well with picky players.

I tried the 48X TY that comes with my Plex 48X retail, burned at 4X I think, just as crappy as the cheapo CDs I tested.

Only the Azo CD worked OK so far. What about Memorex black bottom CDs? Mitsubishi (right?) makes the Azo, but who else sells them, otehr than verbatim? Are ALL mitsubishi CDs azo technology?

Thx again

Burning at 4x with 48x media in a 48x burner is not always the best approach, but to answer your question. The black CDR’s might be worth a try, all Azo types are similar, but the “Azo-Blue” and “Super-Azo” are a bit different.

What are the differences in the two types of Azo? Are all CDs from Mitsubishi made with the Azo technology?

I used a Verbatim DatLifePlus 16X azo blue, burned at 16X.

The Azo-Blue is a bit older, was common on the 16x DLP CDR’s. It recently surfaced in the Verbatim-Vinyl audio CDR’s. It earned a reputation for not being well-tolerated by some burners, but also for being well-tolerated by some finicky readers like yours. The TY formulation is closer to the newer DLP dye called Super-Azo. The lower-quality Verbatim (not DLP) are/were called metal-Azo, and have a pretty bad reputation. All the Verbatim media are known for widely varying quality control. In general, as long as you do not exceed their optimal burning speed, they perfrom quite well.
Short answer: Azo-Blue are very dark blue, Super-Azo are lighter blue, and TY are lighter yet with a greenish tint. Older, more finicky readers tend to work better with darker dye, but every situation is different. Burn speed may have an impact on the compatability, but dye type is more important. Any of the Cyanine (dark) dye formulations have a better chance of working for you, but in some cases the opposite is true. Confused yet? It’s all about the laser in the drive and reflectivity - finding the right combination.

Any ideas on where I could pick up the older ones cheap (preferrably in Canada but US is OK)?

Thx for all the info. Also, do you know if otehr companies sell azo CDs?

Mitsubishi has the corner on Azo. You may still find 30-pack bundles of the old 16x DLP in full jewel cases lurking here and there. As I mentioned, the new Verbatim vinyl is also Azo-blue, but is a bit expensive. Try doing searches for “azo blue”.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
The lower-quality Verbatim (not DLP) are/were called metal-Azo, and have a pretty bad reputation.

The Metal Azo is the old media that you call BlueAzo.
There are only 2 types of Azo:

• the old deep blue MetalAzo with speeds up to 16x.
  • the new light blue/grey SuperAzo with speeds from 24x.

The old Metal Azo can be found in those Verbatim Vinyl and Yamaha DiscT@2.
It seems to be not very compatible with new burners, but it’s probably one of the most compatible with audio players.
It’s my preferred media, it looks great :bigsmile:

I also have a finicky cd player ( a no name POS) in my work truck and I have had no problems with TY’s when I burned using Feurio!but I just tried a couple cds burned with Clone CD and it would not play. Go figure. I guess it’s just trial and error with car cd players, I have had good results in the past with Maxell 650mb 40x’s also.

I used Verbatim CD-Rs and burned at 48x speed. They are the only CD-Rs that work in my Nakamichi CD-35z. All the other brands work like crap in my head unit.

Hello!

I have a Nakamichi CD-45Z and i have problems with cd-r too… The last try was the Verbatim DataLife Plus Crystal Surface + Super AZO 48X and it rocks… I’ve tried Intenso, sony, tdk and so on… VERBATIM the best!!!

If you look at the writing side, you can see its very dark, its darken then the other brands…