Best media for GSA2164D?

I have had many problems with Datasafe DVD+R DL as recordings are finalized all right but then 1 in 2 discs don’t read back properly: the contents of the DVD are shown in the browser but the DVD spins then stops then spins then stops… but no reading happens!. I’ve tried to read the DVDs in other DVD players with the same results hence I assume the problem is in the media.

Which brands would be best for recording movies in this burner?. I don’t mind to pay a bit (a bit!) more to obtain higher rate of succesful writes in exchange!. btw… not too concern about writing speed really…

Thanks.

Hi,

for DVD+R DL, there is only one brand, you can trust, and this is Verbatim. For single layer discs, Verbatims are also a good choice. In addition, check this Review of 4166. This drive has nearly the same hardware as yours.

Michael

From what I have been able to find out, Datasafe DVD+R DL discs are RITEKD01. This stuff gives a lot of writers problems. In addition to that, Datasafe is most likely B grade if not worse media. Please use Verbatim only for DVD+R DL discs. The other brands are either totally untrustworthy or are less compatible with most writers. For the amount that DVD+R DL discs cost, it’s not worth buying, trying and coastering.

thanks a lot for all these tips…

excuse me one last question: is there different “qualities” within Verbatim itself?, that is, if I ask for Verbatim DVD+R DL… are there different “types”?. I am asking this because I have seen some Verbatim 2.4x, other 4x… and I was wondering if getting for example the 2.4x means I have “less” quality than getting the 4x. If it’s only a matter of speed I don’t really mind, since, ok it’ll take more time to write but I don’t really write “that” often so a bit of delay is ok.

one more question: I was trying to write a 2.4x DVD DL in my GSA2164D using Nero but the software was presenting me a speed of 4x and I could not choose anything else -it was the only option. How come?.. how can I say to Nero that I need it to use a lower speed since the media is only 2.4x??. Thanks

There are two types of Verbatim DVD+R DL discs, 2.4x and 8x. That is only the rated speed and has nothing to do with the quality of the discs.

Please do not double post. One is enough :
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=190986

there’s 2.4x and 8x.
they’re both good.
how fast you can actually burn them depends on your drive.
e.g. some drives will burn the 2.4x at 2.4x only, others at 2.4x, 4x, 6x, 8x.

i’ve no idea why it would’nt letyou burn 2.4x at 2.4x, that’s really weird.

It’s a bug in the 2164D and most writers of the same range. For some reason, these writers won’t burn at 2.4x but have a minimum burn speed of 4x for quite a few DVD+R DL discs. Nobody quite knows why. Here is a review of the 4166B which is essentially identical to your drive but an internal version with lightscribe :

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/262/7

This really isn’t a problem because as you can see, burn quality at 6x is still good for MKM001 (Maxell in the review above, but same stuff as Verbatim 2.4x DVD+R DL). Verbatim themselves have stated that these discs should not be burned faster than 6x. On the other hand, RITEKD01 to burn at 2.4x, it will still give poor results in many writers. Have a look at the reviews of other writers and you will see what I mean.

many thanks…

buddy, after so many years I would have thought that CD/DVD manufacturers would have mastered this already!.. it’s so not acceptable these days that one has to “play the lottery” to match a specific burner with a specific brand of media!. As you said in another post, this would have to be like VHS cassettes… any brand goes!.

Would someone be so kind to try to explain in plain English why is this?.

I think the fundamental reason behind all this incompatibility is the fact that the technology behind DVD media is not standardised. Sure, there are established definitions for things like reflectivity which all manufacturers must meet in order for their discs to be compatible with DVD devices, but how they go about meeting these standards seems to be left entirely up to them. Consequently, different manufacturers come up with different dyes, different bonding techniques etc. These in turn require different write strategies to be implemented for each manufacturer’s discs.

Intellectual property rights further muddy the waters. One company invents a new dye and of course, promptly patents the formula for it. Anyone else wanting to use it has to pay them a royalty for using it. In the cut throat world of optical media and drives, profit margins are already small so most companies would rather invent their own dyes than have to pay another company to use their dyes. So what you end up with is a whole lot of different materials in use.

This is complicated by the fact that in certain countries (e.g. Taiwan, China) media manufacturers simply do not bother to meet the standards set for discs. RITEKD01 (Ritek 2.4x DVD+R DL - another horrible DL media code) was never given proper certification by Philips, who essentially do certification for all +R media. Yet that never stopped them selling those discs anyway. I understand they did get certification by Philips for their 8x DVD+R DL media, but that is not a media code that is commonly available. Some other companies are worse - they churn out media of seriously sub-standard quality as cheaply as possible.

It’s not a happy tale, I’m afraid :frowning: