Best media for 812S

Oh, and another thing… after you burn your Prodisc at 8x, could you send us your results (attach a KProbe scan?)… I’m curious to see how well Prodisc media does at 8x. :wink:

Originally posted by nealh
becareful with memorex +r…I had always gotten ricoh but got a 25 pack and they are CMC…the CMC cdr I got were sh*t so I assume CMC dvd + r a re crap too …I am going to try and return the open pack…none used though

nealh, you are right. I also bought a 25 spinble Memorex DVD+R 4X, thinking they were RICOHJPNR001… and returned 24 to the shop after first burn.!
(They said; we thought they were ricohjpnr001.)

Testburned first disk @4X… on my 411@811-Zmod4.
Kprobe returned unreadable error 52% into the disk. :Z

Full media code:
0000 : a1 0f 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 26 05 3f 00 00 00 00 …&.?..
0010 : 00 00 01 43 4d 43 20 4d 41 47 00 46 30 31 00 38 …CMC MAG.F01.8
0020 : 23 54 37 10 02 48 71 02 8c 69 16 16 0b 0b 0a 0a #T7…Hq…i…
0030 : 01 1d 1e 0c 0c 12 12 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 …
0040 : 01 00 38 38 02 28 64 31 05 30 22 10 08 20 1c 01 …88.(d1.0"… …
0050 : 00 00 02 28 64 31 05 30 22 10 08 20 1c 01 00 00 …(d1.0"… …

Hmmm… can´t attach a .PNG file…:confused: OK I´ll use “IMG”.

Hate to sound like the uber Everquest nerd I once was but, WOOT!! I got it! Thanks alot code. I did have to enter it exactly that way. Even dvdinfopro reports the mediacode with the two spaces behind it.

Updated with US05 f/w. Nero and Alcohol 120% are now reporting acceptable speeds of 8x, 6x, 4x, and 2x. Before it was only 4x and 2x. Here’s a Kprobe of my previous burn of the DVD game Far Cry (3.45GB) @ 4x. I don’t really know how to read Kprobe results but I’m guessing those high 100 readings are bad.

I don’t have a DVD player nor DVD movies to test that out(not really a movie person) so I’ll have to borrow a movie from my DVD enthusiast friend and test it on his player.

edit: hmm, can’t seem to attach a 74kb jpg too.

ok, hope this works.

OK, back with another burn of Far Cry(3.45GB). This time at 8x setting.

Started at 3.9x,
jumped to 5.9x @ 835MB’s
jumped to 7.8x @ 2.05GB’s

Avg: 5.8x — Total Time: 8:42

Does anyone know if keeping the kprobe speed at 4x instead of Max affects the results? Cause somehow my new results seem better. Here they are.

Originally posted by Standardize
[B]OK, back with another burn of Far Cry(3.45GB). This time at 8x setting.

Started at 3.9x,
jumped to 5.9x @ 835MB’s
jumped to 7.8x @ 2.05GB’s

Avg: 5.8x — Total Time: 8:42

Does anyone know if keeping the kprobe speed at 4x instead of Max affects the results? Cause somehow my new results seem better. Here they are.

[/B]

Interesting. Generally, the word on the street is that Max gives worse results than 4x. But if your Max results are better than 4x results, that’s … well, eh, don’t worry about it. :slight_smile:

It seems that image uploads have been flakey lately. It works for a while, and then breaks. Works, then breaks. They’re trying to fix the problem. But until it gets fixed, I guess you’ll have to upload your image to some free hosting service and then link the picture here. Either that, or you could just describe it to us (like what the average PI/PO was, etc.) :slight_smile:

code, I’m guessing by your post that you weren’t able to see the images I uploaded to my old geocities account so I found another image hosting site. Should be visible now.

oh, and maybe I stated this wrongly before, but I got a better scan with my second DVD that was burned at 8x but scanned at 4x in kprobe than my first DVD that was burned at 4x but scanned at 8x.

So in essence:

Burned 8x / Kprobe Scanned 4x — AVG PI = 15
Burned 4x / Kprobe Scanned 8x — AVG PI = 54

Either way, but discs work and I’m just glad I can burn at 8x now so thanks much, code.

Incase people were wondering about the CD-R performance, the 812S tops out at a lovely 41x, AVG is around 26x though. This is with cheap Value Disc brand CD-Rs.

It’s hard to interpret these results because they are done scanned at 1/ECC instead of 8/ECC. See this thread for what I mean by that. I’m going to venture a guess that this is not a great scan.

GeoCities doesn’t like people linking images off their webspace. You were able to view the images probably because they were still in your cache. I had the same thing happen to me a while ago. Took me a day before the cache cleared and I realized why people were confused about the images that they can’t see. :slight_smile:

Oh, and another thing… KProbe scans aren’t exactly the best method for determining quality. It’ll give you a rough idea of whether it’s good or not, but after reading the about cases where a scan done on a 451 would have 10 times the errors as the a scan of the exact same disc on the exact same drive (except this time, the 451 is modded to a 451@851, but it’s still the exact same physical drive), I’ve come to not rely on KProbe that much. It’s still nice to see the pretty scans, but nowadays, saying “it reads just fine on the drives that I put it in” is pretty good.

Originally posted by code65536
Oh, and another thing… KProbe scans aren’t exactly the best method for determining quality. It’ll give you a rough idea of whether it’s good or not, but after reading the about cases where a scan done on a 451 would have 10 times the errors as the a scan of the exact same disc on the exact same drive (except this time, the 451 is modded to a 451@851, but it’s still the exact same physical drive), I’ve come to not rely on KProbe that much. It’s still nice to see the pretty scans, but nowadays, saying “it reads just fine on the drives that I put it in” is pretty good.

Yea, that’s the exact attitude I’m going to take. I’m not going to exhaust myself fretting over pinpoint details like I did while overclocking every capable part of my computer trying to compete with the 3DMark fanatics. If it works, then it works. Gonna try one last scan with the ECC at 8 and then leave it alone.

Ok, he’re my new results scanned at 4x ECC set to 8. Not pretty at all.

Memorex (Prodisc03 ) 4x -R burned at 4x.

Memorex (Prodisc03 ) 4x -R burned at 8x.

Heres a scan of DVD-R CMC Mag. AF1 burned at 8x… While the results are pretty good for an 8x DVD-R burn, the end gets totally screwed, not even playable using my burner…

But considering that it was a CMC disc… :wink:

Actually I think that this drive likes them better than the RICOHJPNR01’s… My last scan showed pretty impressive results…

My use on KProbe’s results is this:

PI’s to measure how well the data was written to the media
PO’s to measure the playability of that media

Ive noticed when I get high PO’s my standalone pauses and skips and if they are really high, not even my DVD burner can read the disc… So I dont really think PI’s have anything to do with reading the media, but how long the data life of the media might be, i.e High PI’s may result in a shorter lifespan…

I hope your theory is right, Hypnosis, because I’ve been trying to identify the significance of PI’s and PO’s for the past couple of weeks. All I’ve been able to come up with is Low good, High bad.

High PI’s may have a role in how long the data life of the media will be…

Ive had scans with low PI’s and the disc would pause and skip because the PO’s were high… Ive taken scans of media that I had problems with and they all point to the PO’s as the culprit… The PI’s are just to variable to make an exact determination if they play a role in the playability of the media…

Again, this is my opinion based on my own experiences and scans…