Best media for 812S

I’ve just ordered my first DVD burner, a SOHW-812S, and I’ll be heading out to purchase some blank DVDs. Questions:

1. As I will be mainly doing backup of my DVDs (movies), what would be the format (+ or -) with the best compatibility as far as ordinary DVD players are concerned?

2. What would be a good media choice? Should I look for Taiyo Yuden? What else?

ricoh and tdk dvd-r are very good on this drive!

Ritek, Ricoh, TY, TDK, and MCC are good media choices for the LiteOn burners. Of course, if you go to a brick-and-mortar store, you won’t know what they are exactly because B&M stores sell the re-branded stuff. Generally, most of the major brands–Memorex, Fuji, Imation–will have their media made by one of the companies that your burner likes (if you buy +R, it will almost always be Ricoh–those discs are everywhere).

And if you buy at a media speciality store, they’ll usually specify who it is. Ritek for -R and Ritek/Ricoh for +R is what I recommend for the performance for the price. Of course, you can’t go wrong w/ TY, but 1) TY is hard to find and 2) it’s usually not worth the premium. :slight_smile:

Maxell media (MXL) is usually pretty good as well.

Okay, lemme put it this way: what type of media should I avoid?:smiley:

Anything not listed above.

Memorex DVD-R and DVD+R media seems to be good with this drive…

Go here, and check out the different types of media and how they rate overall… I use Taiyos (kinda expensive, but worth it in the long run) and ritek (cheaper, but still a good disc) with no problems.

MYM

About TDK, I bought some CD-Rs(!) from COSTCO and they’re made by CMC Magnetics Corporation. Should I expect this to happen in the case of TDK-brand DVDs as well? Is this CMC Magnetics a safe bet?

Edit: Okay, now I see. After reading the above-mentioned guide, it turns out that, as far as CDs are concerned, CMC equals garbage…

I bought an 812S this morning from Newegg and included a stack of 50 Ritek dvd-r’s with the purchase. Total with shipping and extended warranty came out to $180.95. I should receive them in the early part of next week. I’m hoping that they work well together.

:iagree: :bigsmile: :iagree: :bigsmile: :iagree:

I bought my Drive from Newegg as well, and they included 5 DVD-Rs of their own brand.

According to SMARTBURN, they are RiTEK, and they do burn very well.

Drive Type = DVD DUAL
Disc Type = DVD-R (Single Layer)
Disc MID = 52 49 54 45 4B 47 (RITEKG)
Disc TID = 30 34 00 00 00 00 (04…)
Nominal Capacity = 4.38GB
Manufacturer Maybe = RiTEK Corporation
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 4.0X (Write)

e_lectro

Originally posted by jolly_grunt
[B]I bought an 812S this morning from Newegg and included a stack of 50 Ritek dvd-r’s with the purchase. Total with shipping and extended warranty came out to $180.95. I should receive them in the early part of next week. I’m hoping that they work well together.

:iagree: :bigsmile: :iagree: :bigsmile: :iagree: [/B]

Hey jolly_grunt. Can you post your results with the Ritek discs? I just got an 812s and bought a 25 pack of Memorex 4x -R’s for 25 bucks. It seems I got the less coveted ProdiscS03 type(got the info from Alcohol 120%'s cd/dvd manager). The only burn I’ve made so far is Far Cry(don’t worry, I have the store bought game right beside me) and I wasn’t able to go above 4x with it.

So I’m wondering if it’s probably the cheap memorex that won’t let me go above 4x, or is it that the 812S can’t do the “8x on 4x” thing for -Rs the way the 811S can do it for +Rs. That’s why your results would be greatly beneficial as I’ve seen great things about those Riteks on dvdrhelp. And some people, in the Riteks review section on Newgg, mentioned that they were able to burn at 8x with the DVR-107

Thanks

Actually, as far as I know, the 811 is the only official firmware that allows “8x on 4x”. LiteOn removed “8x on 4x” for +R discs for both the 851 and the 812 for good reasons–probably because there are too many cases where the “8x on 4x” caused poor-quality burns, and they wanted to avoid people complaining to them about that.

If you want to enable “8x on 4x” for either +R or -R media, you can read this thread. But be warned about burning faster than a disc’s rated speed may result in a poor-quality burn (or it may result in a very nice burn, but generally, unless the media’s of fairly good quality, the quality tends to be worse at the higher speed).

Thanks code. Will try that now. Still trying to figure out which firmware is the best for the 812S though. My current is US01.

EDIT: Turns out my media code isn’t supported in Speedhack. I knew I should’ve just ordered those G04’s. But eitherway, I don’t burn that many DVD’s so the time issue is negligible. I just wanted to see if the 812S could do the “8x on 4x” burns for both formats, and judging by the posts in the speedhack thread, it can. So I’m happy. :smiley:

My 8x burns are pretty good when compared to 4x ones… Dont really know why they removed something that didnt make much of a difference in burn quality…

Originally posted by Standardize

EDIT: Turns out my media code isn’t supported in Speedhack. I knew I should’ve just ordered those G04’s. But eitherway, I don’t burn that many DVD’s so the time issue is negligible. I just wanted to see if the 812S could do the “8x on 4x” burns for both formats, and judging by the posts in the speedhack thread, it can. So I’m happy. :smiley:

Post your mediacode here and I´m sure you will get help with editing the ‘config’ file in spdhack. :cool:

BTW, I think a new revision of spdhack will be out soon… :smiley:

@Standardize

It’s not supported by the default configuration of spdhack… but as pinto2 said, a little edit of the config will change that.

@Hypnosis4U2NV

I remember reading a thread some time ago about why 8x@4x was removed from the 851. If I recall correctly, the reason that was given is that, as a result of variable media quality, some of the discs were burning poorly. I guess this makes sense, as I’ve seen posts about how some RICOHJPNR01 discs are great (I just finished a scan of a 8x-burned RICOHJPNR01 with avg. PI less than 1.5) as well as posts by people saying that their RICOHJPNR01 discs didn’t burn very well. shrugs

@pinto2

Yes, it’s coming… :slight_smile: I’ve finished touching up the media code scanner. Now to run tests and write documentation…

pinto, the mediacode is: ProdiscS03.

Originally posted by code65536
[B]@Standardize

It’s not supported by the default configuration of spdhack… but as pinto2 said, a little edit of the config will change that.

[/B]

by config do you mean that config.pl file? if so, I edited it and added

[ “PRODISCS03”, 0b00110, 0b11110 ],

after the tyg01 line in the dash_patches section, but when I went to make a hacked .bin firmware file, it said

“Media code not found.”

Originally posted by Standardize
[B]pinto, the mediacode is: ProdiscS03.

by config do you mean that config.pl file? if so, I edited it and added

[ “PRODISCS03”, 0b00110, 0b11110 ],

after the tyg01 line in the dash_patches section, but when I went to make a hacked .bin firmware file, it said

“Media code not found.” [/B]

When dealing with media codes, small differences could change everything (in the -R and -RW codes, for example, there are 4 different codes that all show up as “PRINCO”, but there is one extra byte that’s different between the 4 codes that distinguishes them as 4x -R, 1x -R, 1x -RW, and 2x -RW). So the devil’s in the details, as the saying goes…

Until the next version (it’ll have a media code scanner that will tell you precisely what each code is, so that getting the details right would no longer be such a pain in the butt) comes out, try using this code:

[ "ProdiscS03 ", 0b00110, 0b11110 ],

Note the capitalization… media codes are case-sensitive. Also note that there are TWO spaces between the 3 and the quotation mark. In all, there should be 12 characters enclosed within the quotes: 7 for Prodisc, 3 for S03, and the 2 spaces at the end.

Hope this helps.

becareful with memorex +r…I had always gotten ricoh but got a 25 pack and they are CMC…the CMC cdr I got were sh*t so I assume CMC dvd + r a re crap too …I am going to try and return the open pack…none used though