Best LP to CD software

What is the best LP to CD converting software this would include removing pops, hiss, and clicks from the source material.? This would also include either being noob friendly or a good manual or good online help

TIA

In my view, Sound Forge®

DX Favorites > Sonic Foundry > Vinyl Restoration :

Yeah, Sound Forge Noise Reduction plugin package (including Noise Reduction, Vinyl Restoration, Click And Crackle & Clipped Peak Restoration) is the overally best tool, having advanced options for tweaking, and being pretty efficient at removing clicks/crackles, and absolutely best for removing constant humming-type background noise.
It only fails when clicks & crackles are really pronunced as found in overused & seriously cratched vinyls.
Its User Guide is also detailed and straightforward.

It’s far superior to the more popular Steinberg/Pinnacle Clean.
Never mind about Goldwave, Magic Audio Cleaning lab, Wave Clean, and Dart XP Pro.

Haven’t tried Wave Restoration Bundle’s Click-Crackle Removal module.

If you’re willing to spend 400$ (USD) bucks on a program just for ripping and quite some time then you probably can afford a remastered cd instead…
//Danne

Thanks Gentlemen. A freind of mine had bought Clean but I wasn’t impressd with it. It didn’t do the job as well as I would have liked and it was limited in what I could do.

What do you think of this combonation; WaveLab and Sound Forge’s Noise Reduction Plugin?

If Wavelab (don’t know its price) is much cheaper than SoundForge, then that sounds OK. Or any other cheap (ie $29-$39) wave editor which is compatible with the SoundForge DX Noise Red plugin would do fine (Probably Goldwave).
Still remember that the SoundForge’s NR can’t do miracle on heavily scratched vinyl. It’s just way better than Steinberg Clean, CoolEdit Pro and most other competitors.

If you’re willing to spend 400$ (USD) bucks on a program just for ripping and quite some time then you probably can afford a remastered cd instead…

Sure, but not helpful in case the vinyls are rare LPs which aren’t to be found at any US record store.
I know quite a bunch of them.

Originally posted by DiiZzY
//Danne

Gee thanks for such a helpful and insightful post.:rolleyes: :a

There are such things as the most of the Capitol (US) versions of the Beatles albums which will never be put on CD legitimately. I have a few of them on bootlegs and other I will have to do myself. The only Capitol releases that have been officially released are the Red and Blue albums. This would include all LPs up to and including Revolver

I use DC Millenium from enhancedaudio.com . I have tried alot of restoration products and although I have Soundforge I still use DC Millenium for restoring vinyl. Full range of filters and If needed it has some very nice copy, paste, pasteover functions for the real bad areas of the wave file. Excellent support and manual also. It was designed primarily for vinyl. And it costs about 1/4 of what Soundforge does.:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I use a variety of products. The DAK software is good for recording an entire LP side and then I go into it and isolate the songs from the space between them.

I sometimes use the Nero wave editor for additional pop and crackle work.

I have some web pages that may help. See:

http://dvautier.home.comcast.net/audio/audio.htm

and maybe this one:

http://dvautier.home.comcast.net/lp/lp.htm

hope some of this helps.

Sorondil;
while I see this thread is approaching a year and a half old - I stumbled onto some restoration and recording old 78 info that may eventually prove helpful to all reading;
http://www.videointerchange.com/vintage_78s1.htm

If you want to digitize a record side and walk away for 20 minutes, then I like the DAK software. It’s about $20. You can put in markers and save it later on. If you want to do individual song editing I think the Nero editor stuff has some good hiss and pop removal.

Just a thought…anyway… See more of my useless comments at:

http://dvautier.home.comcast.net/lp/lp.htm :clap:

u can try this Acoustica Spin It Again

Wave Repair is a $30 shareware program designed specifically for this task. You can use it for recording and editing .wav files. I have used it for many, many vinyl conversions and am very happy with it. Includes a nice manual, which you can print out…regards, gamma1

[B]Actually this is a hardware solution[/B]

Finally, a way to record from vinyl to CD that doesn’t require a computer or an engineering degree.

With the TEAC GF-350, you simply load a blank CD, put on your album, press “Record”, lower the tone arm, and press “Play”… it’s virtually that simple.

You can record the entire album or just selected tracks to make your own unique compilation discs.

Check it out

Others have only CF slots and work with the same schemata.

Kind of interesting and a bit time saving, but if you’ve already got a high quality deck and system, then that’s a lot of extra money to spend, for something that will be lower quality.
Also it doesn’t seem to give you the ability to edit the wave files - uploading from vinyl doesn’t take very long at all, but editing the files to remove crackle, vinyl hiss and hum from the turntable, plus remove noise from scratches etc, takes flippin’ ages.
If you don’t edit, it will sound like crap.

The methods using direct recording to sound card, or recording vis USB device, really aren’t that difficult to set up.

I agree Prof. Honeydew,
Although there are many ways to do this with presets that are on many software, they usually do not do that good of a job unless the album is in excellent condition, is very clean, and you use a good turntable, cartridge, and stylus. Most soundcards that are out there just do not have the frequency response to accurately reproduce the sound from analog sources. I use a Terratec soundcard that has a near perfectly flat response through the audible spectrum, with a built in phono preamp and RCA jacks so i can plug directly into the sound card. I also use either Wavelab Soundforge or my favorite DC6 by Enhanced Audio. If I am going to take the time to record an album I want it to sound top notch. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
I am curious though, as to what quality the components in this piece of equipment. IE turntable, cartridge, conversion. TEAC has always made good tape equipment but not sure about this device.

Agree totally :iagree: I’ve never found any of the software pre-sets to work very well even with a good system and mint condition vinyl, unless the track has a very simple wave file. Any that I’ve investigated have either distorted the audio, or failed to remove clicks.
I use a USB device to avoid recording through the sound card completely - I’m pretty happy with the results, but plan on setting up a few more ways of recording, just out of curiosity (although it will probably end up with me spending $$$$ on a new sound card :wink:

It looks like they just made this as a quick and easy fix for people to record from vinyl - maybe for people who don’t actually have a turntable anymore, so I wouldn’t expect it to be designed for quality.
The fact that it’s all in one portable unit, means that there is no damping of vibrations, and it’s not going to be set up level etc etc.
That would upset me too much to consider using it :doh:

I am partial to Terratec sound cards. I use a DMX sixfire which is the previous version of this one.
http://sounden.terratec.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=197

This company has a very good selection of excellent sound cards and software. They also have tutorials on different software filters for removing all types of noise, along with other tips for restoring audio from vinyl. Good reading if you like that sort of thing. I have recently started recording to 24 bit/192 kHz and burning “DVD-audio” disks. It sounds amazing. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: http://www.tracertek.com/

I don’t even have a turntable anymore but i wish i still did for some impossible to find CD’s of albums i have.

Looks like pc audio equipment has come a long way now.