Best Lightscribe discs

Hey;

I just ordered a Lightscribe enabled DVDRW drive, so I’m going looking at SVPs range of Lightscribe media.

http://svp.co.uk/searchresults.php?sSrch=Lightscribe&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0&Submit=Search
(I like the way SVP identifies the manufacturer of each product, is that reliable?)

going to be doing a fair bit of burning for the next month so it makes some sense to go shopping for new medias as well.

was looking to get some of these
http://svp.co.uk/product/verbatim_lightscribe_v12_(16x)dvd_plus_r(43576)3402
and
http://svp.co.uk/product/infiniti_coloured_lightscribe_52x
(v1_2)_cd_r_1198_box

In particular, is the DVD 10 pack a good choice? I’m aware the MBI CDs might not be the best, but it’s worth a try.

Also, does anyone know where I can get a 10 pack of genuine YUDENT002 DVD+Rs? SVP is out :frowning: only has 100 packs which are way too much.

The Verbatims are definitely worth getting, I have some myself (Made in India). :slight_smile:

Can’t comment on the Infiniti ones, as I’ve not tried them (my LS CDRs are Verbatim also).

Edit: Dee-27 reviewed the Infiniti LS discs by MBI here.

And yes, SVP’s MID info is generally reliable :slight_smile:

I’ve not seen any 10 packs of T02…smallest packs I’ve seen were the Verbatim T02s in 25 packs, but they’re near impossible to find now.

I don’t think you’ll get better LightScribe DVD+R media than the Verbatims, so good choice.

The jewel-cased media is slightly better protected than media in a 10pc cakebox but also 50% more expensive. I’d choose the 10pc cakeboxes unless you need the jewel-cases.

I don’t know how good the Infinity LightScribe CD-R (Moser Baer) are. I haven’t tested the Verbatim LightScribe CD-R but those would be my first choice, unless you need multi-colour packs.

I don’t know of anywhere you can get Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R media in such small quantities.

EDIT: Too slow and thoroughly beaten to the posting button by [B]Arachne[/B]. :wink:

[quote=Arachne;2032005]I’ve not seen any 10 packs of T02…smallest packs I’ve seen were the Verbatim T02s in 25 packs, but they’re near impossible to find now.[/quote] A loooong time ago there were 5-packs of Verbatim Pastel (Taiyo Yuden) 8x DVD+R but in order to find any of these you’d probably have to look through all the smallest computer shops in Europe hoping they have old stock of these on display - in other words, highly unlikely to be found.

Hmm … looks like the 2nd generation Tayio Yudens are history. Fair enough. I would have preferred YUDENT002 because I have an old-ish standalone DVD recorder that seems to prefer DVD+R, and I read here that TYG02/YUDENT002 are more solid than the 3rd generation versions, and also that some old standalone units and slower recorders do better with 8x media, which would fit the standalone recorder nicely.

So if I found a small pack of YUDENT003s, would I be just as well to grab those? Or look for some 8x MCCs?

And yeah, the coloured lightscribe CDs just look so much nicer, I tend to go for that sort of thing :o so I figure they gotta be worth a try. That and the fact that I’ve only ever lost CD data on discs that were absolute s***te to begin with leaves me feeling they’ll be alright.

Unfortunately, I don’t think I’ll be able to post burn reports here because my new DVDRW will also be an NEC/Optiarc (will be replacing an older NEC with a new one with SATA and Lightscribe) along with my existing Sammy, neither of which are well regarded here in the disc scanning stakes.

Verbatim 16x DVD+R with the MCC004 media code is likely to be more compatible with older recorders than YUDEN000 T03.

Verbatim 8x DVD+R is very hard to find these days, but Verbatim 8x DVD-R can be easily found online as Verbatim MediDisc, Verbatim Archival Grade and Verbatim HardCoat Protection - all of which are more expensive than regular DVD media.

I also use Verbatim Lightscribe media only. The CD-R and DVD+R are good (for me). I never had problems with this media. I did not try the Verbatim LS DVD-R media . This media are newer on the market than the DVD+R. And I buy only LS media if my stock runs low, and I still have a few DVD+R :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2032005]The Verbatims are definitely worth getting, I have some myself (Made in India). :)[/QUOTE]

I have a 25-pack of color Lightscribe Verbatim 16x DVD+R’s. This, along with most of Verbatim’s Lightscribe DVD+R’s sold in the US, are “Made in Taiwan” (CMC; my particular package even has PAPA-series hub codes). They aren’t bad, but they burn with slightly higher PI error counts and slightly higher jitter than the non-Lightscribe Verbies.