Best Lightscribe CD/DVD RW drive?

vbimport

Hey;

I keep a 2 DVDRW drive setup in my computer. Until recently, this consisted of an NEC ND-3550-A (IDE) and a Samsung TSST SH-W163-A (SATA).

When I decided I wanted lightscribe functionality, I ran into a problem. That is, when I bought a lightscribe drive - an Optiarc 7191S (rebadged LiteOn, so I read after), it turned out to be a crock.

Not only did it completely screw up 3 Lightscribe labels on Verbatim MCC DVDs, forcing me to pull out a marker and scribble a label on instead, but it also flat-out refuses to read any of my dark underside CDs (CD-Rs with a coloured substrate, which I bought a lot of because it look so nice). For reference, an old LiteOn from years ago, the ND-3550-A and the Sammy all work with them perfectly. These come under various brands and manufacturers, from Memorex CMC MAG and Prodisc, to other brand Prodisc, to unbranded MPO CD-Rs with black and blue colour themes.

In short, this drive (the Optiarc 7191S) is total balls, and I wouldn’t recommend it to my worst enemy. But from what I’ve read, it might not be totally unheard of as some companies are now using shoddy optics to deal with CDs, I glanced at some Apple forum somewhere where a Macintosh user had a similar problem.

The most common example of the kind of discs I’m talking about would be the games from the PlayStation 1. With CD-Rs, the most common type, selling in many American retail stores, is the Memorex Black.

I had planned to replace the 7191S with a 7201S (real NEC Optiarc) but I now consider this an official candidate for Vapourware Of The Decade. So unless NEC delivers the goods quickly and gets them into the hands of retailers pronto, they can stuff it where the sun don’t shine because my patience is about to run out.

In summary, I have two questions for answer or debate.

[ol]
[li]Which is the best Lightscribe DVDRW drive for mixed use (i.e. a wide range of CDs and DVDs)
[/li]By this I mean all factors, burn quality, lightscribe dependability, accurate disc quality scanning (PIE/F and C1/2 reporting, as well as reporting jitter, PO Failures etc)
[li]Does anyone have any specific experience of using dark-bottom coloured CDs? Which drives work with them and which drives don’t?
[/li][/ol]

[QUOTE=SeanW;2058517]
Which is the best Lightscribe DVDRW drive for mixed use (i.e. a wide range of CDs and DVDs)
By this I mean all factors, burn quality, lightscribe dependability, accurate disc quality scanning (PIE/F and C1/2 reporting, as well as reporting jitter, PO Failures etc)[/QUOTE]

You won’t find a drive that can do all that, unless you can find a BenQ 1655 from somewhere. At least, I don’t know of one drive that can do all those things apart from that one.

This is at least part of the reason why many CDF members have more than one drive - to cover weaknesses.

I have a LG GSA-54L been using it for over 9 months wothout any issues.

My current arrangement provides only one drive (the Sammy) which reads the dark CDs (I had changed the ND-3550-A for the AD-7191-S thinking I was replacing like-with-like), unreliable lightscribe on Verbatim discs on my POS 7191S, and Nero Disc & CD DVD Speed cannot report Jitter or PO Failures on any of the 3 drives in my possesion.

OK, so I will split my question in to multiple parts since the ‘perfect’ drive probably doesn’t exist.

Any drive I buy MUST be able to work with darkly colored CDs and tbh I’m seriously wondering why this is even an issue with modern optical drives.

I can afford to dump and replace both my existing DVD RWs if necessary to get a perfect setup.

1. Could anyone with experience of using dark-substrate media in modern marketplace DVD RW drives please share with me (and anyone else this might be of interest to) which drives do and do not work with them? Or if there are any signs or information I can refer to on the matter?
  2. Is it unusual for a Lightscribe enabled drive to screw up a Lightscribe label for any reason? Again, in people’s experience, which drives are the most and least reliable when it comes to
  3. Disc Quality scanning: I would like a new DVDRW drive to be able to report Jitter and PO Failures, currently none of my drives can do this.

:\ Got a link to your media for your question 1.? You can change contrast with Surething but not sure about Nero.

1. I have 4 or 5 LS’s drives here and all labels i ever made never messed up but i have seen people somehow do it and posted here with the same drive i have.

2. Sorry i cannot answer that and probably not. Your kind of late in the game. Again the BenQ 1655 will.

And like Arachne said the BenQ 1655 will do everything you want if you can find one. So your dream drive does exist.

I have colored LS Verbatim CD-R’s here. The rest LS discs i have are just the normal brownish ones.

Does this help? Probably not…

Ok, here are links to most of the media I’ve had problems with in the Optairc 7191.

Some Memorex Black CDs (can’t be read in this drive)
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10336459&listingid=5781968&dcaid=17902

Unbranded “HiSpace” coloured CDs (I later traced these to the French manufacturer MPO)
http://www.card-rohlinge.de/cr_xt/index.php?cPath=39_40
The black, blue and probably the green ones can’t be read by the Optiarc 7191S either.

regarding the messed up LightScribe labels, these were Verbatim DVD+R MCC 004 Made in India
http://svp.co.uk/product/verbatim_lightscribe_v12_(16x)dvd_plus_r(43576)_3402
Funny thing is this drive did a WAY better job on some Moser Baer lightscribe CDs also MII.

I’ve attached to this post a scan of the 3 disc tops. In each case, the printing process reported a drive error about 20-30% in and stopped - after printing about 1/3 of the disc with corupted garbage. It’s not the software’s fault as I did one of these with Nero Lightscribe Labeller and another with the Lightscribe Template Labeller that you get off the Lightscribe.com website. On two of them, I was able to go over them again with a simple text inscribing after restarting the computer, but in one case I had to resort to a good old-fashioned marker.

Obviously, I am keen to avoid any of this nonsense happening again. Hence, I expect I will be giving LiteOn a very wide berth for a long time to come.

Edit: I had a quick look around and I don’t think BenQ even makes DVDRW drives anymore!

I see i thought this was LS only discs…so buy good media and most problems go away.

Here’s a kind of similar problem with you using LS > http://club.cdfreaks.com/f123/excess-blank-margin-around-inner-ring-w-lightscribe-244515/

Yes BenQ sold their ODD (CD-DVD) division to Lite-On.

I really don’t know what drive to recommend sorry. And i have never used Nero for my LSing. I use Surething Deluxe 5.

Edit:
Did you ever use Nero CD-DVD Speed to see what the MID’s where for those black and colored CD-R’s?

Although this may be “out there,” but perhaps it’s the SATA interface that doesn’t communicate too well with the LS function. I’ve had LO 16H5S, 165H6S, 20A1H, and 2 (of 3) BenQ 1655 drives all burn MCC004 DVD-LS and CMC CD-LS media without any issues, but note that they’re all PATA-based. IIRC, the LG 54L is PATA as well. Perhaps you can try the 7201A if/when it comes out.

Here is a review of the 20A1L, which seemed like it worked fine. But it used SureThing LS, which is the application I use too.

LS will fade away over the time. The bright side is that you can reLS agian on same faded disc.

[QUOTE=KTL;2058908]Although this may be “out there,” [B]but perhaps it’s the SATA interface[/B] that doesn’t communicate too well with the LS function. I’ve had LO 16H5S, 165H6S, 20A1H, and 2 (of 3) BenQ 1655 drives all burn MCC004 DVD-LS and CMC CD-LS media without any issues, but note that they’re all PATA-based. IIRC, the LG 54L is PATA as well. Perhaps you can try the 7201A if/when it comes out.

Here is a review of the 20A1L, which seemed like it worked fine. But it used SureThing LS, which is the application I use too.[/QUOTE]Could be KTL but seems to me Nero doesn’t work as good as Surething :confused: I really have no exact idea.

Yeah, I use SureThing too…no problems so far on Verbatim LS (MBIL) CDR and DVD+R, and Philips (CMC) coloured LS CDRs with my 20A1H.