Best LG External DVD Writers for Win 98SE?

Please could anyone confirm which is the best LG External DVD writer that supports (or is supported by) Windows 98SE.

The GSA-E10N (or L) looks great, but apparently does not support (or is not supported by) Windows 98SE, unlike several previous models. On the LG website there are Windows 98/SE drivers for the GSA-H10A, which is not external, but apparently uses the same chipset according to the LG DVD FAQ.

My PC spec is comfortably above the minimum required for this DVD writer.

DIY. Get an external enclosure that is known to have drivers for Win98SE (Prolific, Cypress,…) and install the drive you want. Preferred are UDMA-4 drives like 4166, 4167 or H10N crossflashed to Hitachi firmware

The GSA-E10N (or L) looks great, but apparently does not support (or is not supported by) Windows 98SE, unlike several previous models. On the LG website there are Windows 98/SE drivers for the GSA-H10A, which is not external,
There no such thing as Win98 drivers for internal drives. Don’t mix up with firmware.

but apparently uses the same chipset according to the LG DVD FAQ.
The chipset of the drive is not important. What matters, that is the chipset of the enclosure. You need drivers for that chipset.
In former times, LG used Prolific 3507 chipsets for their external drives.

There is a generic USB mass storage driver somewhere on the net, use a search engine to find. That should work with any USB ODD or HDD.

Michael

Be warned though that LG drives do not like getting used in external casings. You typically won’t be able to upgrade the firmware of the drive in an external casing and may not be able to burn audio CDs.

Hi,

thanks for that hint. So apparently LG drives have something like “non-standard” interface. :confused:
The fact, that my 4163 didn’t work properly if connected to my PDC 20579 controller should have me warned, too.

Michael

Thanks for the replies.

Maybe I’d better rephrase the question - “Does anyone know the best/latest/fastest multi-standard (inc DVD-RAM) External / USB2.0 DVD drive by LG that will work with Windows 98SE?”

I don’t need to do video editing or handle video at all - it will just be for (hopefully fast) data backup. The PC is PIII 1GHz Coppermine, 512MB 133MHz SDRAM, 20GB 7,200 RPM HDD and USB2.0+ / Hi-Speed USB - pretty old but OK with W98SE.

I don’t want the hassle of building my own DVD burner - especially given the limitations noted by karangguni.

I picked LG because of its support for DVD-RAM, the good reviews of the GSA-H10N here and elsewhere and the fact that LG seem to offer a good range of external USB2.0 models.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of a more suitable external solution, would appreciate comments, though this may need to be moved / re-posted first.

Thanks again karangguni and michael for your comments.

Paul.

I’m not completely sure but I suspect no external writer will work with Win98. None of the current LG writers will. The older ones seemed to have drivers (not firmware) for Win98 available on LG’s page, like the 5163D for instance. However, if you click on the name of the file, it brings up some information with a very blunt message :

The Windows 98SE driver for GSA-5163D(External 16X Super Multi DVD-Writer)

Basically, GSA-5163D cannot be used in Windows 98SE.
However, we provide the Win 98SE Driver for customers’ convinience.
Please refer to the attached file, which is an execution file for windows.

** Please be aware it is only available with USB 2.0**

So it looks like even that older model did not work with Win98SE.

I’m not sure about other brands of writers but I suspect the problem is that Win98SE has poor support for USB devices in general. USB support for Win2k wasn’t added till SP4 anyway so you can imagine what kind of USB support 98SE has. What I would suggest is that you go through the writer reviews in CDFreaks’ review section and see if any of them state that they support Win98SE.

Curiously though, why do you specifically want an external writer? An internal should work with Win98SE.

Hi,

Working:

[ul]
[li]Liteon SHM-165P6S (ex Sony DW-G120A) in Cypress AT2 based enclosure
[/li][li]Liteon SOHR-5239V in GL811E based enclosure[/ul]
[/li]Needed drivers:

[ul]
[li] drivers for USB 2.0 controller (onboard or PCI add-on)
[/li][li] Panasonic DVD-RAM drivers (Win98SE/ME version) for DVD-RAM capabilities (or Nero InCD)
[/li][li] drivers for enclosure, there is also a generic USB mass storage driver for Win98SE available on the net http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php
[/li][/ul]

None of the current LG writers will. The older ones seemed to have drivers (not firmware) for Win98 available on LG’s page, like the 5163D for instance. However, if you click on the name of the file, it brings up some information with a very blunt message :
(…)
So it looks like even that older model did not work with Win98SE.
:confused: typically LG. :Z
Normally, it should work with Prolific drivers. I suppose, they have been to lazy to check this out.

I’m not sure about other brands of writers but I suspect the problem is that Win98SE has poor support for USB devices in general. USB support for Win2k wasn’t added till SP4 anyway so you can imagine what kind of USB support 98SE has.
You are referring to USB 2.0 controller drivers. That’s why there are drivers from the chipset and add-on card manaufacturers for Win98SE/ME, W2k prior SP3 and XP prior SP1. Working USB mass storage support was introduced with Windows ME. The only thing missing were built-in drivers for the high speed USB controllers, so you have to rely on the drivers provided by the manufacturers.
If a LG drive can be run externally on a XP SP2 or W2kSP4 system, then it will also work on a Win98SE system, provided the drivers for USB controller and mass storage are installed.

I had no problem with a 4167 connected to a Myson Century USB/IDE adapter. As it was only a quick check, I only verified DVD-RAM and CD-R capabilities. Used W2k SP4 for that test, btw.

Michael
Screenshots:

• Nero Infotool
  • Simulated 16x DVD-R burn