Best internet security 2006?

What is the best internet security for 2006?

E- Trust Internet Secutity from Computer Associates. That will be my choice this time around.

If you are running DSL you may want to look at the hardware vendor of your DSL modem and see if there are any hints online. Why I say this is I helped out one of my friends setup a DSL modem from Qwest and it just so happens the modem was setup to broadcast the IP out to the rest of the world. Qwest was very helpful in providing detailed instructions on how to shutoff the broadcast function of the modem. I know this isn’t really internet security but it may be something to look at as long as you are concerned with security.

For me I found the best security was a “real firewall” If you have a free older PC it may be worth looking at.

I think F-Secure Internet Security 2006 the best

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=152541

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=156130

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=153660

If you are obsessed with the program then buy it already.

For broadband, the most important step is to add a hardware firewall, such as a router, and add a software firewall such as ZoneAlarm (free). The “package deals” in the poll are all resource-hogging bug-infested programs designed to separate you from your money, not from the web. DSL and Cable modems, even when designed to work as a router, usually have many ports wide open by default.
Apart from the above, a good virus scanner is all you need. If you download a lot, then add Ad-Watch and Ad-Aware and you’re set. [/$.02]

Software firewalls are resource-hungry pieces of poo. Use the hardware firewall in your NAT router. Problem solved.

(Note that instead of purchasing Zone Alarm or whatever, you can just purchase a $25 Linksys NAT router…)

Only the combination of software and hardware firewalls is “secure”. Hardware keeps 99.9% of the stuff out, but it does nothing about malicious software that is invited into the system by the user. Only software firewalls will keep programs from phoning home.

ZoneAlarm is free, and once properly configured, it’s very thorough.

I have a router with hardware firewall, but I don’t have any idea how to configure this hardware firewall. There are so many settings… Really confusing for a noob like me.

Manual on the box describe only how to connect to computer.

Do you have some suggestions?

Assuming it’s a decent one, it should be good to go right out of the box. A simple way to test it is to have someone ping your IP. It should not respond unless it’s configured to do so. You can also use tools like those at Shields up to check for open ports. A software firewall like ZoneAlarm will also let you know if anything gets through.

I have norton internet security; I have many complaints about this software (it consume very high CPU power and resources), but I hope that is good enough to solve any misconfiguration on the hardware firewall.

I’ll check the link, many thanks

Norton is also not noted for being especially competant at providing security. Run all the tests at Shields Up and see how you rate.

I’m a little concerned about these tests. On the page there a message saying that I authorize them to enter on my computer :confused:

I do a test on symantec site, and the only result is that my computer respond to ping. Do I worry about this?

Shields up is worthless. Steve Gibson is a fake “security expert”. No real experts take him even a little seriously.

Shields up fails me because I leave port 113 open for IDENT on IRC. Yeah, Steve - you’re a SMART ONE all right! WOO!

As for software firewalls and “malicious software invited in by the user”… don’t install malicious software. Duh.

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but does that Linksys router include “NAT” on the box? I’ve kind of perused routers at Circuit City for “NAT” on the title, but didn’t happen to see any. Is this one you mention a wireless one, or is it one you plug into? Also, do you recommend a good place to get this particular model?

Before I read about this router, I was going to say Trend Micro Internet Security 2006. Last week, Best Buy had it basically for free (all you paid was sales tax after rebates and upgrade rebates). I’ve noticed a big difference in resource use (decrease) from when I used McAfee (ages ago) and then Norton.

I’ve use Steve Gibson’s Shield Ups (from rdgrimes link) for years to test my network. If you intentionally open a port or more then you need not to worry. It’s a good warning for average user (and experienced) to see what ports are open. I have several ports open to internet and some only to WAN and shield ups doesn’t detect the later. It’s a good testing site, IMO.

BTW, Linksys router can close port 113 if needed (Filter Indent (Port 113)) or just forward it to unallocated LAN IP.

BTW2, I use Linksys WRT54GS with DD-WRT #22 firmware, Zone Alarm Pro 6, and Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition 10.0.1 (free from my work). :wink:

Yo-

Trend Micro Internet Security Suite 2005 (6) listed by Consumers and Computer Shopper as the very best Internet Security Suite-

I personally use it and like it very much-

Mike

Any router nowadays has NAT in it. They are all called “routers” but really they’re just NAT switches. They usually have a routing mode, but nobody actually USES it (almost nobody). :slight_smile:

The problem with these all-in-one suites is that they are sub-par in some way. Trend Micro is a DECENT antivirus, but it’s no NOD32 or Kaspersky. It has a good software firewall, but not as good as Zone Alarm. And it’s a resource hog. All these suites are.

Plus, you could just stop using Internet Explorer and then you wouldn’t get spyware or adware. Then you wouldn’t need some babysitter program holding your hand and saying “are you SURE you want firefox.exe to access the IntarWeb?”

kaspersky antivirus and internet secutiry

combine affect
:wink:

Opinions and assholes, everyone has one.

It’s easy to sit in the cheap seats and heckle. But unless you have ideas and alternatives to offer, you’re wasting bandwidth. I would certainly be grateful to know of other sites that offer a comprehensive port scan and security check. I couldn’t care less about who offers it.

“Don’t install malicious software”, now there’s some useful advice. :rolleyes: It installs itself, which is what makes it malicious. People who download are at high risk for this stuff, and only a decent “Ad-Watch” type program will keep it away. Failing to use a good software firewall makes your system wide open for program that want to phone home.

On a related note, I also like the site: DSL Reports for checking your connection. The tweak test there can be very helpfull.