Best internal DVD burner

Hi

I am looking to purchase an internal DVD burner. I am looking for good quality and a quiet, easy to use burner.

I have found the Sony 16x Internal Double-Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Drive
Model: DRU-810A burner and it looks good but other people have recommended LiteOn burners.

Are there any real differences between the different DVD burners as far as quality and longevity? I am not interested in purchasing something that will end up in the landfill after 1 year.

Also want to use a DVD RW to copy data and be able to rewrite data for backup. Any particular DVD RW to recommend? I hear the DVD +RW work better if you want to use them on a regular DVD player to watch a movie.

Any opinions will be appreciated! :slight_smile:

Sony rebags drives with there name. A friend owns a DRU800A its a Liteon. So Sony $69.00 to $89.00. BenQ, Liteon, and Nec $38.00 to $45.00 you decide. $30,000.00
cars have a 3 year warranty. I wouldn’t expect five years for $40.00.
“Also want to use a DVD RW to copy data and be able to rewrite data for backup. Any particular DVD RW to recommend? I hear the DVD +RW work better if you want to use them on a regular DVD player to watch a movie”
Phase change media is crap (cdrw,dvd-rw, dvd+rw) don’t ever trust it for backup! Use dvd-+r.

Sorry KheSanh but the new sony burner’s are no longer based on a liteon platform, they are based on the BenQ platform. ( DRU-800A - DRU-810A )

I been using DRU-800A and have been very happy with it. Yes it’s not a plextor by all means by it does the job.

At this stage of the game I would not spent a whole lot of money into a burner because the new dvd formats ( Based on a different platform ) coming in 2006 means that you will have to buy a new burner to be able to copy the new stuff.

:cool: :cool:

“Sorry KheSanh but the new sony burner’s are no longer based on a liteon platform, they are based on the BenQ platform. ( DRU-800A - DRU-810A )”

Club CD Freaks - Knowledge is Power > International Chat: Hardware related > Optical Drives (CD and DVD Burners, etc.) Forum
LiteOn DVD Burner / Sony DVD Burner

I said the DRU800A is!
Might help if ya read here, or are they all wrong?

Yo-

Suggest the Lite-On 160P6S-

You can get it on sale here for $39 to $43 shipped:

Newegg is one very fine vendor-

Mike

btw - the Sony 800 is a LiteOn 1693s rebadged (try search function above)

Sorry KheSanh the info comes from Sony it’s self, if youn read in that forum it does tell you that DRU-800A - DRU-810A are based on benQ platforms. As matter fact the DRU-800A is a rebaged Benq 1640.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=140594

Credits: Most of this information was compiled from firmware database and forums of The Firmware Page (rpc1.org)

Looking for an overview of LiteOn DVD-writers? Go here: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/dvdrw_overview.html

Sony DRU-720A, Sony DRU-800A, Sony DW-D26A, and Sony DW-Q28A

• rebadged LiteOn 3S-v2 drives
  • for more information, consult the LiteOn and LiteOn-Sony alliance DVD-writer overview
  • you can use LiteOn tools/firmwares/etc. for this drive

Well I read there and this is what I read. Go back to original post I did say DRU800A. Point being why pay 69-89 bucks for a 40 dollar drive Sony puts there name on.

" I been using DRU-800A and have been very happy with it. Yes it’s not a plextor by all means by it does the job. "

So you bought the Sony. I’m done here.

KheSanh my neighbor works for Sony and I ask him, they changed in mid-stream as August 16, 2005 the platform became Benq.

Enough said.

Thanks for all your helpful advice. I appreciate it. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: