Best Inkjet for Taiyo Yuden Watershields?

I make quite a few DVDs and am going through some trials trying to print onto Taiyo Yuden Watershield discs.

I’ve got an Epsom R800 printer and it’s giving me two headaches; 1) there are really nasty roller marks on each disc and 2) the black isn’t anywhere near as water-resistant as the other colours, it smudges even with a dry finger whereas I can vigorously rub a colour area even with a wet finger and absolutely nothing happens.

What I’d like are discs that are good quality prints, as water-resistant as possible and come out of the printer without surface marks.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I was thinking about a Canon PIXMA iP5300 - any good?

The Epsons are known to apply WAY too much ink for many discs to handle. Sounds like this is part of your problem. No printer should have any rollers in contact with the top side of a disc, but unfortunately, some do. The other issue is that the disc should be fed outward while printing, so that the printed part is exiting the printer, so any roller contact is on the unprinted portion only. If your printer doesn’t do this, then it’s a design flaw.

I’d start by trying some different print settings on your TYs.

Having said all that, my Canon gets astounding results with all discs, though it does require some adjusting of the print settings.

I’ve been using that Epson R-800 printer for the tys watershelds with fantastic results. What labeling software are you using? I’m using surething instead of what came with the epson printer

http://www.cnet.com.au/printers/desktop/0,239035459,339271902,00.htm
I’m good with “The Bad” :slight_smile:
If you are in North America, you will have to purchase a CD/DVD tray separately and “enable” the printer to print CD’s.
Folks here can show you how.

Many thanks to everyone so far.

I’ve had a good look at the inside of the R800 and the rollers are behind the print heads, so they’re not touching the surface after it is printed. What is happening is that they’re damaging the surface of the disc in both directions; one way when the disc is inserted and the other as it is printed. A disc fed into the Epsom then ejected has the same bands of scuff marks that a printed disc does. The pressure being applied by the rollers is quite excessive, it takes some force to lift one (carefully) with a finger.

I’ve been using PrintCD, which was bundled with the Epsom. I’ve fiddled with the settings after the suggestions in this thread - there’s one specifically for reducing the amount of ink used - and none have helped. Whatever happens the scratches are still there and whenever the photo black cartridge is used it bleeds.

Thanks to both CDan and jflan for endorsing the Canon. I’ve been pleased with the Epsom for printing photographs so whatever happens I’ll stick with it for that, but while I could conceivably avoid pure black in my disc artwork, I can’t live with the (badly) scuffed surface.

P.S. I’m in the UK and it looks like we got lucky on the disc tray!

Go get yourself a Canon IP4300 and never look back. :wink:

I did go to get an iP4300, but actually found a good deal on the iP5300 and picked one of those up today.

So far so good. No more badly scuffed discs and the performance with the Watershields is excellent, all the colours - including the black - are pretty much locked on there. The ink takes slightly longer to dry than with the Epson so it pays to keep your fingers off the disc for a while, but that’s the same with printing photos too.

Speaking of, I printed a couple of photos - on Epson paper using Qimage - and I think they may be more detailed than the R800, but there’s something up with the colour reproduction as they’re a lot redder than they should be. What are folks doing regarding correction and/or ICC profiles?

Thanks again for the good advice!

It pays to take the time to set up a print profile for your paper/media, but be prepared to use up some paper doing it. I’ve had good results using the “transparency” paper setting and minor adjustments in color and intensity. I create a set of color bars (downloadable from many ink and paper sellers) and use those to match the printer output to what I see on my screen. In general, I find that the default Canon settings result in less than ideal intensity and tend toward the reddish. I use Office Depot Pro paper, so I can’t help you with the Epson stuff. Restrict yourself to making adjustments of 1-2 marks at a time in any parameter. Also, sometimes it’s better to increase yellow and cyan than to decrease magenta, other times it’s not. It’s amazing how much difference there can be between papers.

I too am having the same problem printing on Taiyo Yuden watershiled cds…teh glossy surface scratches just from feeding the cd tray…wish there was a glossy that didn’t scratch…I was thinking it could be becauuse of how thick the disc is and the disc surface itself.

[QUOTE=SMR-Group;1834408]I make quite a few DVDs and am going through some trials trying to print onto Taiyo Yuden Watershield discs.

The black isn’t anywhere near as water-resistant as the other colours, it smudges even with a dry finger whereas I can vigorously rub a colour area even with a wet finger and absolutely nothing happens.
What I’d like are discs that are good quality prints, as water-resistant as possible and come out of the printer without surface marks.
Any recommendations would be appreciated. I was thinking about a Canon PIXMA iP5300 - any good?[/QUOTE]

I am using an Epson Photo R320 which I bought in 2004 but just recently learned and started to use the print to disc and LOVE it.
I also have been using TY Watershield with EXCELLENT results and Verbatim hub printables.
I am using the Epson PrintCD program that came with the printer which is excellent after you figure it out.

WARNING! As stated before you are about to print out your disk, (popup) you have to let the disks DRY FULLY. Wait at least 24 hours.

AND it says it is a good idea to clean the roller by feeding and ejecting several sheets of plain paper before you print on CD’s or DVD’s. I am guilty of not doing that and so far still get excellent printouts.